Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Found a neat trick for smooth downshifts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/found-a-neat-trick-for-smooth-downshifts-32924.html)

Urbantank 12-21-2011 11:33 PM

Found a neat trick for smooth downshifts

Downshifting manually can feel like landing on an aircraft carrier with an aggressive lurch but discovered today that if you apply light throttle as you hit left paddle, the downshift will be very smooth and drama free, it sounds cool too

MikeH 12-22-2011 08:17 AM

Re: Found a neat trick for smooth downshifts

Ooh, thanks. I'll have to try this.

Yaccster 12-22-2011 09:30 AM

Thanks, will try it out!

GreggSRT8 12-22-2011 10:17 AM

Dumb question:

I was driving around the neighborhood (30mph zone) and I accidentally hit the paddle shifter. The only way I knew how to get it from autostick to D was to get past 5th gear. I obviously couldn't do that in the neighborhood. I was stuck shifting and downshifting between 2nd and third. I had to stop and put it in Neutral then back down to D to get out of Autostick mode. Is there a trick to getting out of autostick if you accidentally engage it in slow areas?

johnpassantino1 12-22-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreggSRT8 (Post 538615)
Dumb question:

I was driving around the neighborhood (30mph zone) and I accidentally hit the paddle shifter. The only way I knew how to get it from autostick to D was to get past 5th gear. I obviously couldn't do that in the neighborhood. I was stuck shifting and downshifting between 2nd and third. I had to stop and put it in Neutral then back down to D to get out of Autostick mode. Is there a trick to getting out of autostick if you accidentally engage it in slow areas?

Just hold the up shift paddle for 2-3 seconds and it goes back in D.

GreggSRT8 12-22-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpassantino1 (Post 538621)
Just hold the up shift paddle for 2-3 seconds and it goes back in D.

Gracias!

johnpassantino1 12-22-2011 10:41 AM

No problem! It also works on the shifter too...just hold it over to the up shift side for the same 2-3 seconds.

Shaggy1 12-22-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnpassantino1 (Post 538626)
No problem! It also works on the shifter too...just hold it over to the up shift side for the same 2-3 seconds.

Thanks; getting stuck in manual was annoying and I've been too lazy to RTFM, lol.

Kadonny 12-23-2011 09:12 AM

This is one of the things they overlooked that I think is very important. They should have made it so you have to move the gear shift lever to a different position to engage the manual shift. I've heard too many stories of people accidentally hitting the paddles and getting thrown into manual shift when they didn't want to do it.