Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Bluetooth phone / Uconnect (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/bluetooth-phone-uconnect-32938.html)

Polomaan 12-22-2011 11:43 AM

Bluetooth phone / Uconnect

Hi everybody, first post here. I just purchased my 2011 WK2 a few days ago and it's a big upgrade from the 2005 Liberty. The only thing (so far) that I don't have and need is bluetooth/uconnect for my cell phone. I have the most basic stereo, which includes buttons on the dash for uconnect phone, but no phone buttons on the steering wheel (blank tabs above EVIC buttons. Is there any way to install a module that will let me use the factory buttons on the dash for handsfree phone? What about adding buttons to the steering wheel (I don't know if it's already wired)?. I found the mopar kit that adds a few pieces to the dash...which is a good second option after a "factory installed" look.

Thanks for the help!

xsdbs 12-26-2011 06:56 PM

Re: Bluetooth phone / Uconnect

the Mopar kit that you will use is the 88212159. Some of the websites that are listing this kit have the wrong picture layout. Make sure that the kit that you get does not have the little black pad about 1"x2" which has the Uconnect phone and the voice recognition buttons on it. If you want to add the IPOd cable (which is optional) the PN# for the cable is 82212160.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polomaan (Post 538671)
Hi everybody, first post here. I just purchased my 2011 WK2 a few days ago and it's a big upgrade from the 2005 Liberty. The only thing (so far) that I don't have and need is bluetooth/uconnect for my cell phone. I have the most basic stereo, which includes buttons on the dash for uconnect phone, but no phone buttons on the steering wheel (blank tabs above EVIC buttons. Is there any way to install a module that will let me use the factory buttons on the dash for handsfree phone? What about adding buttons to the steering wheel (I don't know if it's already wired)?. I found the mopar kit that adds a few pieces to the dash...which is a good second option after a "factory installed" look.

Thanks for the help!

Polomaan 01-05-2012 12:38 AM

Thanks for the reply! I am ordering it tomorrow. Is this something that I could attempt myself or should I just fork over the $$ for the dealership to do it? I can figure stuff out, but am no expert.

Thanks again for all of the help!

xsdbs 01-06-2012 03:59 PM

If you have worked on cars before and feel good about do it, then I would say no problem. Do it yourself and then you will need to go to the dealer to have them flash the vehicle fro Uconnect on the CAN BUS line.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polomaan (Post 545761)
Thanks for the reply! I am ordering it tomorrow. Is this something that I could attempt myself or should I just fork over the $$ for the dealership to do it? I can figure stuff out, but am no expert.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Polomaan 07-23-2012 11:16 PM

6 months later...

I actually bought the parts and have received them! Install planned for tonight since I have a few days off work. Dealer flash tomorrow. The parts actually came with a CD that has a .pdf of how to install the parts...roughly. I might try to change the location of the iPod cable to the center console instead of the glove box. Any problems with that? Also, where the heck do I put the bluetooth module? It's shown over on the outside of the glove box but that seems to far from center. Is there an optimal location for the mic?

Thanks!

Polomaan 07-24-2012 02:10 AM

It took about 2.5 hrs start-finish for a beginner. When I finished, it was 86 degrees in the garage (at 11:30pm ugh)...not my recommended temp for this project. One major PITA was figuring out the holes and finger-trap contortions of wiring the iPod cable to the center console instead of the glove box. My extra long needle nose pliers came in handy more than once. The mic went overhead L of driver seat as instructed... we'll see about the noise. The BT module fit perfectly above the head unit. Plugged everything in, and it all works just as before. Tomorrow I'll be heading to the dealer for a flash. Quoted $96, boo.

Still worth it!

xsdbs 07-24-2012 01:40 PM

Well glad it all went good on the install. It's really too bad that the dealer has to charge so much for the flashing. A good tech can do it in 15 minutes, yet they charge you an hr.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polomaan (Post 660589)
It took about 2.5 hrs start-finish for a beginner. When I finished, it was 86 degrees in the garage (at 11:30pm ugh)...not my recommended temp for this project. One major PITA was figuring out the holes and finger-trap contortions of wiring the iPod cable to the center console instead of the glove box. My extra long needle nose pliers came in handy more than once. The mic went overhead L of driver seat as instructed... we'll see about the noise. The BT module fit perfectly above the head unit. Plugged everything in, and it all works just as before. Tomorrow I'll be heading to the dealer for a flash. Quoted $96, boo.

Still worth it!

xsdbs 07-24-2012 01:42 PM

Sorry, I just saw your posts on the install. Sounds like you did it all correct. The location where you have the mic is the best spot. Some just place it on the dash but you got to think about it and how you speak. Do you talk downward toward your feet or straight ahead looking out the windshield?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polomaan (Post 660558)
6 months later...

I actually bought the parts and have received them! Install planned for tonight since I have a few days off work. Dealer flash tomorrow. The parts actually came with a CD that has a .pdf of how to install the parts...roughly. I might try to change the location of the iPod cable to the center console instead of the glove box. Any problems with that? Also, where the heck do I put the bluetooth module? It's shown over on the outside of the glove box but that seems to far from center. Is there an optimal location for the mic?

Thanks!

Polomaan 07-24-2012 05:52 PM

Flashed and it all works great now! I made a few test calls, and everyone was able to hear me just fine. I like how the uconnect prompts are quick and efficient. Other vehicles I have been in have these slow prompts full of pauses that take forever to make a call. I even rattled off a 10 digit number as fast as I could, and she still understood everything. Music playback works well too, with the system playing both music over the iPod cable and bluetooth.

On another note, the dealer offered to install an update for the dash lights that supposedly make them brighter. Not sure if y'all have heard of this update yet, but I'm excited because I have always thought they could be brighter at night.

Thanks for the help with the project. Hopefully I won't take 6 months to finish the next one haha. I'm thinking tow hitch...or...any suggestions?

Polomaan 07-24-2012 05:58 PM

I wanted to post prices for the parts I found on ebay in case anybody else is looking to price the project out. I used the part numbers above in google and on ebay to price check.

ipod cable: $34

bluetooth module, wiring harness, and mic: $228

dealer flash: $96

TOTAL: $358. Dealer quoted $800, I'm proof anybody can do this!

xsdbs 07-25-2012 07:16 AM

not a bad savings of $442. bet you couldn't find anything else to do with your money than give it the dealer, huh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polomaan (Post 660949)
I wanted to post prices for the parts I found on ebay in case anybody else is looking to price the project out. I used the part numbers above in google and on ebay to price check.

ipod cable: $34

bluetooth module, wiring harness, and mic: $228

dealer flash: $96

TOTAL: $358. Dealer quoted $800, I'm proof anybody can do this!

cas0727 02-25-2014 08:55 PM

I'm interested in adding this module to my Uconnect 430 RBZ radio, could you tell me if this setup made it possible for you to connect your phone and have your apps such as Pandora and GPS show up on your radio's touch screen? This is one of the main reasons I want this setup.

Also, I keep reading that you want to invest in the IPOD/USB connector cord, what exactly does this cord allow you to do? Can I not still connect my phone through the original audio port, or just connect through Bluetooth? What's the point of the additional connector?