Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Jeep interior lights staying slightly lit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/jeep-interior-lights-staying-slightly-lit-3294.html)

sanitarium16 10-14-2009 06:00 PM

Jeep interior lights staying slightly lit

I have LED interior bulbs in my Jeep and i just noticed that when the jeep is on or off the rear led bulbs stay slightly lit. I replaced the bulbs but it still does it. First it was the left side only now i noticed it on the right. It is only happening to the lights above the rear doors. Any ideas?

Robert Palmer 10-14-2009 06:34 PM

Re: Jeep interior lights staying slightly lit

Do you have a resistor installed anywhere in the interior lights?

robpp 10-14-2009 06:36 PM

either a resistor as elvis said. or change one bulb back to stock......

jeeppro 10-14-2009 06:37 PM

i had to change my tailgate back to stock cause it was doing the same thing

jeeppro 10-14-2009 06:37 PM

whats a resistor

sanitarium16 10-14-2009 06:39 PM

no resistors anywhere. Why would it start doing it all of a sudden?

robpp 10-14-2009 06:42 PM

the leds need miniscule amounts of power compared to a standard bulb. I am no engineer. I can tell you that you are not the first person this happened to. I can also tell you that the solution of one stock bulb will fix it.

there is an alternative, that requires a resistor added in line some where. again, dont know what size or why this works, but i can tell you I read enough Jeep boards to gaurantee you success.

I dont know the whys or anything like that.

robpp 10-14-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeppro (Post 79370)
whats a resistor

A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component that produces a voltage across its terminals that is proportional to the electric current through it in accordance with Ohm's law:

V = IR
Resistors are elements of electrical networks and electronic circuits and are ubiquitous in most electronic equipment. Practical resistors can be made of various compounds and films, as well as resistance wire (wire made of a high-resistivity alloy, such as nickel/chrome).

The primary characteristics of a resistor are the resistance, the tolerance, maximum working voltage and the power rating. Other characteristics include temperature coefficient, noise, and inductance. Less well-known is critical resistance, the value below which power dissipation limits the maximum permitted current flow, and above which the limit is applied voltage. Critical resistance depends upon the materials constituting the resistor as well as its physical dimensions; it's determined by design.

Resistors can be integrated into hybrid and printed circuits, as well as integrated circuits. Size, and position of leads (or terminals) are relevant to equipment designers; resistors must be physically large enough not to overheat when dissipating their power.

jeeppro 10-14-2009 06:53 PM

where could i get one ?

robpp 10-14-2009 06:57 PM

radio shack

DAVY27 10-14-2009 07:24 PM

i have interior leds and just left the lightbulb on the driver side under the dashboard light stock.

mjl2610 10-15-2009 03:51 PM

I dont know everything about it but this is the theory i believe (from what i can remember taking electronics classes for a long time). The Jeep is designed to run the incandescent bulbs in that particular type of circuit. So there is certain amounts of current that is being supplied and running through that circuit in order to run those lights at their specified brightness etc. Lets say its 40 milliamperes (mA) for the incandescent bulb. Its about that but i'm just saying 40 for arguments sake. Alright so now an led can use what like 15-30mA or so around there depending on how many leds are on the bulb. Thats twice the current being supplied to the leds. We need a resistor inline to regulate that current if we dont want the "10% glow" or other goofy issues like with the turn signal bulbs not working properly, the car thinking the circuit is blown and what not.