Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Warning to all getting their Wk2 exhaust done (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/warning-to-all-getting-their-wk2-exhaust-done-32993.html)

mlarco52 12-23-2011 12:56 PM

Warning to all getting their Wk2 exhaust done

I had my exhaust guy remove the resonator and it sounded great but there was too much flow causing the exhaust valves to rattle. He then put a hook on both the valves that left them open for a couple of days to see how it ran, well my MPG cut in half, and I had lost a lot of low end power, felt like a complete slug. Not worth it at all! So I went back they made the valves go back to normal and put the resonator back in place, all is well now getting normal MPG and great off the line acceleration and low end TQ once again.

Do not have your shop keep the valves open as you will eat a lot more gas and lose a lot of low end!

Edited with the new MPG! Lol.

QuickOne 12-23-2011 01:43 PM

Re: Warning to all getting their Wk2 exhaust done

Mlarco...
Doubling your MPG means you get better fuel economy. MPG getting halved, means you lose miles per gallon.
I'm not trying to pick on anything, but I got excited to see you DOUBLED your MPG by cutting out resonators and thought that was one hell of a MOD.. LOL..
I'm curious if a tune would fix, but since that's in never never land, we'll have to wait for that answer just a bit longer.

Dotcom 12-23-2011 02:40 PM

Scottina06 12-23-2011 02:47 PM

any vids or sound clips?

mlarco52 12-23-2011 02:50 PM

Hey thanks Dotcom, however, I stood corrected, as I edited my earlier post I did make the mistake first with saying double. Only because I'm in Canada and we use L/100km and for my truck it read that the L/100km had nearly doubled so I mixed up the wording.

My apologies.

philthyphil 12-23-2011 03:16 PM

Did you think of maybe putting higher flowing resonators in place of the stock ones? That might still create enough resistance to keep the valves from rattling. Just a thought.

QuickOne 12-23-2011 04:25 PM

Love to hear the sound of it wide open.
What about stronger springs in the valves?

mlarco52 12-23-2011 08:14 PM

Hey no I don't have any videos I had one but my other computer got completely trashed and now its all back to stock, there was however, a lot of rasp at higher rpms and some popping. It sounded annoying to be honest at high rpm's, at low rpm's it sounded awesome but that didn't make up for the loss of power in my books.

Yes I did think of this but I didn't want to drop 1k on the higher flowing reso's with other stuff in place, what would be needed to stop the rattling is some reso's with a good amount of baffling inside and a x-pipe for sure and even possibly some larger piping up to the valves. This would cost a lot more for just a tad bit more noise, not something I want to waste my money on.

YKPizzaGuy 12-25-2011 05:26 PM

I have to say guys that the amount of overlap from system to system in the 2012 is MUCH MUCH worse then the WK1...In the WK2 you change one thing like the exhaust and it affects 10 other things.....Im very leary about just hanging parts on my 12 till I find out a lot more about overlap....

PlatinumSillk 12-27-2011 10:15 AM

subbing

FlyinRyan 12-30-2011 06:45 PM

????? What in the world are you talking about?

Im sorry but there had to have been some other noise causing rattling. The explanation in the original post makes zero sense.

mlarco52 12-30-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinRyan (Post 542939)
????? What in the world are you talking about?

Im sorry but there had to have been some other noise causing rattling. The explanation in the original post makes zero sense.

How does it not make any sense? I saw it with my own eyes as they cut and welded everything. The resonator provided a good deal of back pressure as the air had to go through the baffles and what not inside the reso itself. With it removed that extra flow from the reduced back pressure pushed through to the valves which are a couple of feet at most behind the resonators and they were attempting to open and close all the time rather than stay closed or open (as you accelerate faster), thus causing them to open and close and hit against the metal inside which made it rattle. Think about hitting a spoon against a small hollow pipe, that's sort of how it was as it just sat there in idle, I also saw the valves opening and closing slightly due to the increased flow from removing the resonator they were clapping making that noise, metal on metal.