Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f200/)
-   -   Head Unit Replacement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f200/head-unit-replacement-33048.html)

Amelie 12-25-2011 01:46 PM

Head Unit Replacement
 
As some of you may know my Jeep came with the Infinity Gold sound package with the 10-disc changer in the trunk and for some reason it seems that my current head unit doesn't match the package that shipped with it (As it has no CD-player or controls for a CD)

So I'm thinking one of the previous owners had maybe swapped it out so this at all doesn't make sense to me and have thought about taking it to my local Jeep Garage to try to find out. I'm considering between a newer factory head like an RBP or going with an aftermarket head unit.

1) What DIN does the WJ have? I'm thinking it's DIN 1.

2) Should I try to go for OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket what brand/s do you prefer?

3) What kind of options should I look for in an aftermarket head? ( I know I at least want compatibility with CD, CD-R, CD-RW and MP3. (Not too worried about AAC)

4) When an aftermarket radio says (HD-Ready) and (Built-in HD) what does that mean? I'm guessing (HD-Ready) means it's capable of receiving HD signals and (Built-in HD) means it is capable of receiving signals and has a tuner built-in.

5) What amount of watts should I look for in watts per channel?

StephenE 12-25-2011 06:44 PM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
1> WJ is 1.5 DIN
2> I went with a 2 DIN Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
3> I went with DVD, BT, MP3 and SD
4> HD-Ready requires an external HD tuner compatible with the head unit built-in means just that...
5> The Pioneer I went with has (Peak: 50 watts x 4 channels, RMS: 22 watts x 4 channels (Pioneer Certified), RMS: 14 watts x 4 channels (CEA Certified)) much more than the factory radio came with and I did supplement it with an external amplified SUB (8" JBL competition @ 300W RMS).

Amelie 12-26-2011 02:41 AM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenE (Post 540211)
1> WJ is 1.5 DIN
2> I went with a 2 DIN Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
3> I went with DVD, BT, MP3 and SD
4> HD-Ready requires an external HD tuner compatible with the head unit built-in means just that...
5> The Pioneer I went with has (Peak: 50 watts x 4 channels, RMS: 22 watts x 4 channels (Pioneer Certified), RMS: 14 watts x 4 channels (CEA Certified)) much more than the factory radio came with and I did supplement it with an external amplified SUB (8" JBL competition @ 300W RMS).

Thanks for the response. I don't need a DVD player in the dash or anything, I can go without modern entertainment conveniences lol. I mainly just want to hook up my iPod to it and I know a USB connection is the best way to achieve the sound desired through the car stereo.

Gus9890 12-29-2011 01:40 PM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
I thought it was a double din, I'm eventually going to replace my head unit also. (Mines Infinity Gold too lol)

Amelie 12-29-2011 01:47 PM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gus9890 (Post 542048)
I thought it was a double din, I'm eventually going to replace my head unit also. (Mines Infinity Gold too lol)

I'm not sure but 1.5 sounds about right. What kind of head unit are you looking to install?

I really like the look and features of these type of Kinwood's

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=1947044

imaguy3 12-29-2011 02:07 PM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
It is 1.5 din. Double din is too big and would require cutting up the trim surrounding the radio...

I just installed one of those Kenwoods into a buddy's car... it sounds pretty good and you can get it for a bit cheaper from Amazon or Sonicelectronix...

Sonicelectronix is out of that particular radio (but they give you the free wiring harness, antenna adapter, dash kit and cust. service just like crutchfield..) if you're not set on needing Bluetooth or variable illumination you can use this... (I'm partial to the HD-radio... I have it built-in in my cd player and like the extra stations in my area)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...DC-HD548U.html

Amelie 12-29-2011 02:17 PM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
@imaguy3: Yeah, I've been comparison shopping for the cheapest price on Ebay and Amazon and the PriceBlink and Invisible Hand extensions in Chrome and Firefox definitely help.

I really like Crutchfield's site and read their article about getting the best quality sound out of your MP3 player or phone and didn't realize a USB connection had a leg up on the AUX port.

imaguy3 12-29-2011 02:24 PM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
yeah... Check out sonicelectronix though... usually have better/same prices as Amazon... and then they throw in the harness/adapter/dash kit so it's a good deal! I've used them many times and never had a problem...

When I'm playing off my USB it's definately a better signal than using my Aux. input... but then again I doubt the source coming from my phone (pandora) is any good compared to the files on the USB

Amelie 12-29-2011 02:28 PM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by imaguy3 (Post 542083)

When I'm playing off my USB it's definately a better signal than using my Aux. input... but then again I doubt the source coming from my phone (pandora) is any good compared to the files on the USB

So you play off of a USB Flash Drive? I think the guy in the article was just referring to either a USB connection from your phone and/or MP3 player to the head unit.

Here's an excerpt:

"It would seem that auxiliary and USB inputs should deliver the same quality of sound, but frequently, they don't. One reason is the difference between the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) in your stereo compared to the converter in your music player. The DAC in the stereo is going to be superior to the one in the music player because car stereos have the power and speakers required for bigger, better sound, so the DAC has to be able to reproduce a high-quality signal. Portable music players on the other hand, are designed to make small earphones sound pretty good. When you use your music player's headphone jack to connect to your stereo, that means you're using the music player's DAC, so the music isn't going to sound as good as it would if you can connect via USB."

Also, did your friend mention anything about it being hard to read the Kenwood display during the day?

TJXJWJ 12-29-2011 02:42 PM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
1. Din and a half....1.5. Din 1 and Din 2 can be done with the correct kits.
2. My old OEM one :D. http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...ghlight=TJXJWJ
You never make money on aftermarket units in your ride, especially when you go to sell it. Unless you're a real audiophile, the stockers are pretty damn good with the factory amp and a speaker upgrade. Plus, OEM's are less likely to get stolen in my opinion. That's why I went with an OEM one. All the connections are obviously seamless, and changer controls, steering wheel contols all just work.
3. Ipod/Aux capable, removable/anti-theft
4. Yes...what you said.
5. The more the better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 540152)
As some of you may know my Jeep came with the Infinity Gold sound package with the 10-disc changer in the trunk and for some reason it seems that my current head unit doesn't match the package that shipped with it (As it has no CD-player or controls for a CD)

So I'm thinking one of the previous owners had maybe swapped it out so this at all doesn't make sense to me and have thought about taking it to my local Jeep Garage to try to find out. I'm considering between a newer factory head like an RBP or going with an aftermarket head unit.

1) What DIN does the WJ have? I'm thinking it's DIN 1.

2) Should I try to go for OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket what brand/s do you prefer?

3) What kind of options should I look for in an aftermarket head? ( I know I at least want compatibility with CD, CD-R, CD-RW and MP3. (Not too worried about AAC)

4) When an aftermarket radio says (HD-Ready) and (Built-in HD) what does that mean? I'm guessing (HD-Ready) means it's capable of receiving HD signals and (Built-in HD) means it is capable of receiving signals and has a tuner built-in.

5) What amount of watts should I look for in watts per channel?


Amelie 12-29-2011 02:45 PM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 542098)

lol I like your style :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 542098)
Plus, OEM's are less likely to get stolen in my opinion. That's why I went with an OEM one.

What about the one's that have detachable face plates? Could you just take it off and put it in the glove box or something and maybe trick the person looking for a radio to steal?

TJXJWJ 12-29-2011 02:57 PM

Re: Head Unit Replacement
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 542102)
lol I like your style :thumbsup:



What about the one's that have detachable face plates? Could you just take it off and put it in the glove box or something and maybe trick the person looking for a radio to steal?

Those help...but thieves know that no one actually takes it out of the vehicle. It's like GPS mounts on the dash. The thief knows that 9x out of 10, the Garmin is sitting either in the glovebox or the console. Plus even if you do take it out, once the glass is busted, the damage is done. If you don't have those kinds of issues where you drive/park/live, then it's less of an issue, but in all the good and bad areas I've lived in, it's always a risk. Happens everywhere.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community