Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Asking for some Helpful Advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/asking-for-some-helpful-advice-33054.html)

randall-y 12-25-2011 04:51 PM

Asking for some Helpful Advice

hello gang, GF and I have a 06 WK, V6 and I plan on lifting it and putting bigger tires on the WK. My plan is using the 2in' Teraflex BB, Bilstein 4600 shocks, and my caculations for a tire is a 265/70/17. Basically we want to lift the WK slightly with leveling the front as well...
My question is will I encounter problems with the items i am using?, did I source out the right shocks?, tires too big?, thanks for your helpful advice and help!

randall-y 12-26-2011 02:35 AM

Re: Asking for some Helpful Advice

27 views and no replies?? :-(

Valpacer 12-26-2011 03:22 AM

You'll need wheel spacers or new wheels with less offset, do the front pinchweld mod and youll be apples.
Im not a fan of the bilsteins but many are (and I get custom valving done everytime I change equipment!) But they should be fine.

Dave

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk

randall-y 12-26-2011 03:31 AM

Thanks Val!, Assuming the spacers to get the wheels not to rub, I guess a size spacer would be 1in' to 1.5in'..? And what's this pinchweld mod?<---- newbie

2005JGC 12-26-2011 04:10 AM

search "pinchweld mod" and you will find some posts with pictures, basically the 1 main place you will rub is where the pinch weld is behind the splash shield on the back side of the drivers front wheel well. People remove the plastic pound over the pinch weld and cut out the hump in the plastic. I have some rubbing with my setup with no pinchweld mod (NONE during normal driving and NONE during *most* offroading, it really needs to be flexed out quite a bit to get rubbing). I have wrangler rubicon wheels and tires (32's) no wheel spacers and a daystar lift.

randall-y 12-27-2011 12:52 AM

ah..i see.. i gotcha now...thanks.... do you guys recommend the 2in' teraflex BB or the 2in' RC lift? options? pros and cons of the both?

Valpacer 12-27-2011 01:01 AM

Sorry for the late reply, been on callouts , good way to spend boxing day!

On the spacer front, either will work, or even a set of commander rims will give enough clearance. With the spacers you definitely will need to do the pinchweld, but with the commander rims you wouldnt.

I personally prefer full spring replacements, but either of the BB kits is good. Perhaps a quick search will provide more info on those specifically.

Most of all, get a lift on and go play!

Dave

randall-y 12-27-2011 01:04 AM

haha well... its acutally my gf's jeep and im all about lowering cars (being i own a lowered car) but i actually ran the idea about lifting the jeep... it will be a fun project for us and will turn heads cause she will be jumping out of it =-)

JeepCoop 12-29-2011 10:53 AM

Yo!!! Nice post maing!!! I have the RC lift and love it...although I DO want a Superlift now...but this is for the GF so I'm pretty sure she'll be a-ok w the 2"!

I love my RC lift and it has been great for a year or so now... I have 255/70/17s and would have loved to go for the 265/70/17s. You will DEF want to to the pinch weld front n rear especially if shes gonna take her in the dirt to play! The rubbing rips your tires apart. If you want a completely level lift you'll have to add some strut spacers since it's not 100% level, but it the RC does a good job getting it there.

Other than that, looks like you're ready for the lift. I def recommend the wheel spacers too cuz it gives it a lil more width in the stance and a better more aggressive look... IMO!

Good luck and post some pics!

Heres my build thread of all my goodies

http://jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=27588&page=1

Enjoy!!

-Greg

Lucas J 12-29-2011 11:07 AM

Search around in the off road mod threads and you will see this talked about over and over again.

Like Coop, I want the SL. I have had a RRO BB paired with Billstiens, with 265/70/17 BFG's. I love my set up but if I got another WK today and wanted 2 inch lift I would go with the OME. IMO, if you are going to buy shocks and struts plus a BB, your better off just buying the OME.

JeepCoop 12-29-2011 11:12 AM

^^ Exactly! :D

randall-y 12-29-2011 11:55 PM

alright.. ill look into those lift kits... a bit of info to take in and study LOL, but i will... we are looking to get these parts probably around mid Jan and we want to get the WK sitting right...aaaand maybe play in a dirt a lil LOL

this is a great forum/family to get to know and meet people.
samething in my other forums.
you all are great help and cant thank you guys more