Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Early oil change...reset EVIC? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/early-oil-change-reset-evic-33076.html)

SW03ES 12-26-2011 01:18 PM

Early oil change...reset EVIC?

Hey all

We're at about 5,800 miles on the Jeep, we're leaving Thursday for a 400 mile trip to upstate NY for New Years and even though its not due for an oil change, I feel the need to have it changed before we go.

My question is, if I do this does my mechanic have to reset anything in the EVIC so the oil change reminder won't pop up as if it hasn't already been done?

Thanks!

mr_bots 12-26-2011 03:30 PM

Re: Early oil change...reset EVIC?

Yes, the oil life system needs reset after every change to keep it on track of when the oil was last changed. Put the car in "run" by hitting the start button twice without touching the brake (first push puts in into "acc") and pump the gas pedal all the way down 3 times in 5 seconds to reset it. Pretty easy to do.

SW03ES 12-26-2011 03:34 PM

Thankya sir!

Lingohocken 12-26-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_bots (Post 540504)
Yes, the oil life system needs reset after every change to keep it on track of when the oil was last changed. Put the car in "run" by hitting the start button twice without touching the brake (first push puts in into "acc") and pump the gas pedal all the way down 3 times in 5 seconds to reset it. Pretty easy to do.

Isn't that ten seconds, not five? And the pedal needs to be pumped slowly. At least it's worked this way with mine.

plynn7 12-26-2011 04:54 PM

Copied from the Manual,
To reset the oil change indicator
system (after performing the scheduled maintenance)
refer to the following procedure.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (Do not
start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE:
If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not

reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

mr_bots 12-26-2011 06:14 PM

Lol, ok 10 seconds not 5.

AAAA 12-26-2011 06:25 PM

We look forward to welcoming you to Upstate NY for New Year's but don't expect any snow other than the man made variety.

SW03ES 12-26-2011 07:47 PM

Yeah I wasn't expecting any LOL. It was 50 degrees here today which is just nuts...

tyresmoker 12-27-2011 07:56 AM

Hey, thanks! I had my first service at 3k A few weeks ago. On our way to Montreal yesterday, I got the "i" indicator on the dash. Checked messages and saw that the dealer didn't reset the indicator.