Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Flawed Paint (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/flawed-paint-33082.html)

The Duke 12-26-2011 06:39 PM

Flawed Paint

Anyone here noticed flawed paint on their rides after they got them home. I just got my new Laredo E and on the first wash noticed two factory paint flaws. One on the front fender and one on the back door. The dealer says they have to repaint both areas to fix it. On a separate note, does anyone know what the gizmo is under the passenger seat? It looks like a little power amp.

ekaz 12-26-2011 06:42 PM

Re: Flawed Paint

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke (Post 540580)
Anyone here noticed flawed paint on their rides after they got them home. I just got my new Laredo E and on the first wash noticed two factory paint flaws. One on the front fender and one on the back door. The dealer says they have to repaint both areas to fix it. On a separate note, does anyone know what the gizmo is under the passenger seat? It looks like a little power amp.

Nothing on the defects but the battery is under the passenger seat

Scottina06 12-26-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke (Post 540580)

Can you get us some pics?

sent from my HTC EVO

SW03ES 12-26-2011 07:48 PM

Yeah take some pics.

The factory paint is okay, but not as good as the japanese cars I'm used to. Its a little wavy down the sides IMHO.

Clunk 12-26-2011 07:56 PM

The little gizmo mounted up under the passenger seat is the optional 150w power inverter.

armoredsaint 12-26-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 540602)
Yeah take some pics.

The factory paint is okay, but not as good as the japanese cars I'm used to. Its a little wavy down the sides IMHO.

Orange peel?

ekaz 12-26-2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clunk (Post 540604)
The little gizmo mounted up under the passenger seat is the optional 150w power inverter.

That's where they put that, makes sense.

The Duke 12-27-2011 12:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The main flaw was easy to miss on silver paint. In the night light it sticks out bad. Someone rubbed against the paint on the fender during production and the robot painters didn't notice. Sorry about the lousy camera photos.

So they put the power inverter under the passenger seat. I am going to upgrade the "media center 130" by putting a Pioneer amp on top of the battery cover and adding some new speakers. I was wishing that gizmo under the seat was a power amp so I wouldn't have to run the speaker wires back to the head unit.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...-D9500F_th.jpg GM-D9500F

Crestwood1001 12-27-2011 12:57 AM

That's the battery under the seat not an inverter, when I was at an accident a few weeks ago with a totaled wk2 I was the only one that knew to look there to disconnect it

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

JTS97Z28 12-27-2011 11:39 AM

Ugh, before you go letting the dealer re-spray large parts of your car sit down and seriously think if thats what you want to do. I would personally rather have a couple minor paint defects on original paint from the factory then a car that has been re-sprayed. 90% of repaint jobs are never perfect, will not match perfectly in different lighting conditions, have different clear coat texture etc etc. Basically, the moral of my story is, do you really want a brand new Jeep thats already been repainted? Also, think of resale. There are a lot of picky people out there like myself that will absolutely turn a vehicle down if the car has had any repaint work before even hearing the reason behind it. Dealerships also look into that as well if you ever go to trade it in and will have a negative effect on it without a doubt. if it were me, I would definately not have some shop do repaint work on my Jeep.

a couple minor defects in OEM paint > a new jeep thats already had repaint work thats probably not as good as the defective OEM paint :-)

AAAA 12-27-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 540824)
Ugh, before you go letting the dealer re-spray large parts of your car sit down and seriously think if thats what you want to do. I would personally rather have a couple minor paint defects on original paint from the factory then a car that has been re-sprayed. 90% of repaint jobs are never perfect, will not match perfectly in different lighting conditions, have different clear coat texture etc etc. Basically, the moral of my story is, do you really want a brand new Jeep thats already been repainted? Also, think of resale. There are a lot of picky people out there like myself that will absolutely turn a vehicle down if the car has had any repaint work before even hearing the reason behind it. Dealerships also look into that as well if you ever go to trade it in and will have a negative effect on it without a doubt. if it were me, I would definately not have some shop do repaint work on my Jeep.

a couple minor defects in OEM paint > a new jeep thats already had repaint work thats probably not as good as the defective OEM paint :-)

I agree. Remember factory paint is cured at like a million degrees and a shop at usually less than 100 degrees. On the other hand, my white gold paint job is really very good. It is smoother and glossier than the fleet cars I had from Ford or Chevy.

armoredsaint 12-27-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 540824)

/thread

it's not a Ferrari, it's SUV.