Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   2/3 inch lift options (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/2-3-inch-lift-options-33096.html)

NikonKiem 12-27-2011 08:04 AM

2/3 inch lift options

Hey everyone. Im getting ready to purchase a lift. I know that I want 2-3 inches, but I cant decide. I have read lots of information on the Rustys, BDS, and Ruff Country, but I cant decide. Do I need new struts or shocks? I dont want the ride to change to much. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Lucas J 12-27-2011 08:48 AM

Re: 2/3 inch lift options

IMO you should just go straight to the SL. Most of us who have lifted 2 or 3 inches will regret the decision (at some point) and want the SL. However if you don't want to spend that kind of money, then go with the OME. It comes with springs, shocks and struts and is probably the best lift outside of the SL.

dandankler 12-27-2011 11:55 AM

OME or super lift.....im torn between both also .........but super lift also only replaces your rears i believe.....

JeepCoop 12-27-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas J (Post 540754)
IMO you should just go straight to the SL. Most of us who have lifted 2 or 3 inches will regret the decision (at some point) and want the SL. However if you don't want to spend that kind of money, then go with the OME. It comes with springs, shocks and struts and is probably the best lift outside of the SL.

Agreed. Save up for super lift. Much better lift over all. Plus it keeps it all working w the stock geometry of it all. I've got the RC and I'm saving for a super now. :)

NikonKiem 12-27-2011 12:46 PM

My Jeep is not 4wheel drive, so im just doing it for the look and some extra ground clearance when I go off road for some photo shoots.

JeepCoop 12-27-2011 01:00 PM

Ah ok then go w the RC lift. Also, get some Bilstein struts and shocks. It changes the ride for the better!! You won't "need" them, but they help on and off road!! :thumbsup:

jlewissystem 12-27-2011 01:49 PM

Dont mean to jack a thread, but had (possibly) a related question: I have the OME and like it - although i do minimal off-roading. You'd see me in mud more than rock like other guys. I like the lift, but would like 2" more. Question for you SL guys and guys wanting to go that direction:
Can you piece an SL lift together?
SL has the 4" steel welded stack with some re-location hardware, but can i add pieces to my OME to make it like an SL? I see that others have OME setups "stacked" - is there any consideration for relocation hardware when stacking or is ti more needed for the SL? Again - not meant to jack: i'll make this a new thread if need be. Thanks!

JeepCoop 12-27-2011 01:53 PM

Good question brother! I'd like to know just for my knowledge! I am def going Super some time soon! hehe

Lucas J 12-27-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlewissystem (Post 540876)
Dont mean to jack a thread, but had (possibly) a related question: I have the OME and like it - although i do minimal off-roading. You'd see me in mud more than rock like other guys. I like the lift, but would like 2" more. Question for you SL guys and guys wanting to go that direction:
Can you piece an SL lift together?
SL has the 4" steel welded stack with some re-location hardware, but can i add pieces to my OME to make it like an SL? I see that others have OME setups "stacked" - is there any consideration for relocation hardware when stacking or is ti more needed for the SL? Again - not meant to jack: i'll make this a new thread if need be. Thanks!

Check with Mr. Tosh or Omelet to be 100% sure but I don't think you need to relocate anything with a "stacked" lift. I believe it's only with the SL.

Lucas J 12-27-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCoop (Post 540862)
Ah ok then go w the RC lift. Also, get some Bilstein struts and shocks. It changes the ride for the better!! You won't "need" them, but they help on and off road!! :thumbsup:

OP-

Do this or get the Rocky Road Outfitters lift paired with the Bilstein shocks and struts. If your paying someone to install your lift, that would be the time to change your shocks and struts. It will only cost you more to wait and do it later.

2005JGC 12-28-2011 10:37 PM

Your lifts options are basically 2 and 4 inches, anything listed other than that is including tire size (one of them claims 3.5" and it is a total of 3.5"... with 32" tires).

I have not held the SL if my hand or looked at an install but judging by pictures I have seen it comes with new knuckles that likely relocate the tie rod end mount location so your rack is more level instead of your tie rod ends hanging way down (would be pretty unstable on the road with pretty severe toe change through the suspension travel). I have seen on trucks, super lift makes cradle brackets that drop the lower cradle thus spreading the 4" of lift through the front driveshaft and cv joints instead of putting the cv joints at a crazy angle... not sure if this is the case for the wk SL kit. I have heard people mentioning the front driveshaft getting really close to the exhaust and the only way this will happen is if the front axle is dropped down, thus leading me to believe they do on the WK.

At the end of the day 1800+shipping is ALOT of money especially considering a comefortable 90% of the people on this forum dont have the tools, space or knowhow to install this kit your looking at another 500 bucks +/- for an install (I have not priced it this could not even be close). Especially if you just have a 2wd, dont throw away 2500 dollars as others have stated.

dandankler 12-29-2011 12:49 AM

you can get the lift through rustys for cheaper, and its around 800 to 1500 for install .......and if you want to upgrade your looking at another 500 for shocks 400 for rears and 100 for fronts plus 250 for the esp module if needed.........also dont forget rubber the bigger the lift the bigger the tire and more $$$$$$ .....this is why i might just give up on the SL for a while ......im not sure if i want to spend the 4k yet:( .....only time will tell, good luck ......