Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   Good shock choice for WJ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/good-shock-choice-for-wj-33164.html)

nrlewellen47 12-28-2011 04:06 PM

Good shock choice for WJ?

The shocks on my WJ went out back in the fall. So being a newbie in the Jeep community, I ran down to the local auto store, picked up a couple sets of shocks and slapped them on. After about two weeks the back shocks started making this horrible noise, pulled them off and the shocks were bad, so I got a replacment set. Another week or two later they started the same noise again, but the shocks are good. Its hard to describe the sound the jeep makes with these shocks. Everytime I hit a bump it sounds like some sort of metal on metal sound. I assume the problem is that these shocks just arent made to handle the WJ. Has anyone else had this sort of encounter? What kind of shocks should I look at putting on my WJ (I do not have any lift on it at this point).

Amelie 12-28-2011 04:29 PM

Re: Good shock choice for WJ?

Most users on here have had good experiences with Bilstein's HD shocks with the model depending on if you have a lift on your Jeep or not.

Bilstein 4600 Series = Non-Lifted Jeep

Bilstein 5100 Series = Lifted Jeeps

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/search/mmid=1434277

By the way, Welcome to Jeep Garage since you're fairly new. Have you done any mods to your Jeep?

nrlewellen47 12-28-2011 04:43 PM

I was kinda stumbling around and found skyjackers as well, any good? or should I stay away from them? Are there any that I SHOULD most deff stay away from??

Thank you! No, no mods at this point. This jeep had been in a couple minor accidents, so most of the money that I have put into it has been just to bring it back to normal. Also have had a few mechanical things that have needed fixed. If all Goes well, I plan on putting some money into mods this summer. Now the big question...where to start!

Amelie 12-28-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrlewellen47 (Post 541520)
I was kinda stumbling around and found skyjackers as well, any good? or should I stay away from them? Are there any that I SHOULD most deff stay away from??

I'm not good in that department but I'm sure people who do will chime in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrlewellen47 (Post 541520)
Thank you! No, no mods at this point. This jeep had been in a couple minor accidents, so most of the money that I have put into it has been just to bring it back to normal. Also have had a few mechanical things that have needed fixed. If all Goes well, I plan on putting some money into mods this summer. Now the big question...where to start!

I'm biased so I would say new headlights, maybe an HID kit? A lot of owners roll with the 3rd Generation projectors for the WJ which offer the best output yet for the 3 generations of projectors. You can get them on Ebay for a good price but here are good pictures of what they look like. They offer excellent light output when coupled with an HID kit.

Chrome:

http://www.genkituning.com/1999-2004...-cgc99cb-a.htm

Black:

http://www.genkituning.com/1999-2004...-cgc99bc-a.htm

01grand 12-28-2011 05:02 PM

IMO, Bilstein HD shocks are a must for a WJ! They are kinda expensive, but they will probably be the last set of shocks you put on.

For the lights, I recommend finding ones that use CCFL halos instead of LED, I have heard the CCFLs are much brighter, and I have seen some LED halo models, they were unimpressive in the brightness dept.

Amelie 12-28-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 541532)
. I have heard the CCFLs are much brighter, .

Yeah, from what sellers claim 3x-4x brighter, They are definitely a must.

nrlewellen47 12-28-2011 05:22 PM

The bigger my list wish gets for this thing, the more I think I might need to be looking for a second job:lol:

Amelie 12-28-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrlewellen47 (Post 541548)
The bigger my list wish gets for this thing, the more I think I might need to be looking for a second job:lol:

You're telling me! lol I was thinking the same thing. Once you start getting into it and come to the realization of how many different things you can do it's pretty staggering.

imaguy3 12-28-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrlewellen47 (Post 541495)
The shocks on my WJ went out back in the fall. So being a newbie in the Jeep community, I ran down to the local auto store, picked up a couple sets of shocks and slapped them on. After about two weeks the back shocks started making this horrible noise, pulled them off and the shocks were bad, so I got a replacment set. Another week or two later they started the same noise again, but the shocks are good. Its hard to describe the sound the jeep makes with these shocks. Everytime I hit a bump it sounds like some sort of metal on metal sound. I assume the problem is that these shocks just arent made to handle the WJ. Has anyone else had this sort of encounter? What kind of shocks should I look at putting on my WJ (I do not have any lift on it at this point).

what you're describing is common with most generic shocks and Jeeps. The bushings on the rear are notorius for "clunking" b/c they're just a little small and don't fit as snug as they should. I had the same problem with Monroe shocks on an XJ.

I put Bilstein 5100's on my Jeep and they came with the CORRECT bushings meaning no clunk! If you go with the Bilstein HD's you won't have any problems and you're ride will be amazing! They're pricey but they're worth it (and I'm a cheap-ass).

Amelie 12-28-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaguy3 (Post 541645)
they're worth it (and I'm a cheap-ass).

How much are the 5100's and do you know what price the 4600's run at?

TJXJWJ 12-28-2011 09:43 PM

Another advocate for the Bilstiens and the CCFL Gen 3's with HID's... FO SHO. I also replaced the rear shock BOLTS with some stainless shouldered bolts. Tighten them down real good, and you should be fine. It's the upper bolt that is often the culprit.

imaguy3 12-29-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 541670)
How much are the 5100's and do you know what price the 4600's run at?

I was able to get my 4 5100's shipped for $275. AJUSA.com had a thanksgiving offer and free shipping (having a sale now too)... The problem with them is they didn't have the rears in stock and they had no eta for the rears... I got the fronts about 2wks after the order.

Shockwarehouse.com however had the rears in stock for just a little more, so I got the rears from them and had them in 4 days.

Right now AJUSA has the 4600's at $76 a piece and 5100's at $85 a piece... with free shipping... also have a 15% phone sale but I don't know if that applies to the Bilsteins (the day after I ordered my shocks they had the same sale, so I called to see if they would give me that price and they said the sale didn't apply to Bilsteins)

Shockwarehouse.com has the 5100's for $80 each... They're not listing the 4600's. However they do have the Monroe Reflex Monotubes for $62 each(which would have been what I went with if I was stock height)
... with free shipping...