Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Added weight of Silent Armors? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/added-weight-of-silent-armors-33184.html)

getcha 12-29-2011 12:50 AM

Added weight of Silent Armors?

I have a 2012 Limited with the 5.7 engine and the 18" wheels. I would like to swap out the stock Michelin Latitude's for a set of Goodyear Silent Armors (in stock tire size). I don't have much confidence in the stock tires when it comes to deep snow and from what I've read the Silent Armor's should perform much better in winter conditions (hoping they perform like BFG TA/KO).
My one concern is the added unsprung weight that I'll be adding to the vehicle. The stock tires weigh 36 lbs each and the Silent Armors weigh 42lbs each. Granted this is a Jeep and not a sportscar but I'm still concerned about adding 6lbs of unsprung weight per wheel.
Any thoughts?

AAAA 12-29-2011 08:45 AM

Re: Added weight of Silent Armors?

I have seen no comments about that here. Personally I would not be concerned for 2 reasons. Firstly, a huge number of folks here have switched to A/T of various types with no issues and no suspension mods. Secondly, you are talking about 6 lbs. The wheels probably pick up that much or more ice between the spokes and do fine. BTW someone mentionned recently that the Silent Armor's have been on an extended back order, but I don't recall which sizes. I don't do trail crawling, just blasting through snow so I switched to LTX M/S 2's for year round use.

2004wjmedic 12-29-2011 08:51 AM

I have the silent armors on my WJ and they work like a charm in the snow.

jp467 12-29-2011 04:03 PM

I put silent armors on my Overland a few days ago and I was thinking about the same thing before I pu them on. I think the only real impact will be a little decrease in fuel economy. Its looks like I might be losing 1 to 2 mpg. I have put about 250 miles on them so far. I will probably put the 20's back on for the summer.

brandont 12-29-2011 07:25 PM

Particularly with the 5.7 you won't even notice. I frequently swapped wheel / tire combos with my GTI (2.0L Turbo) and rarely noticed anything different besides the ride (which was mostly due to the tire construction, anyway) If you timed your acceleration you *might* see a tiny difference but not likely. If I remember right 8lbs sprung = 1lb unsprung, performance wise, so adding 6lbs per corner would be like carrying a small child, a bag of dog food, or filling up your tank. No biggie.

fundguy 01-05-2012 03:21 PM

You won't notice. Won't make any difference to you. I added much more weight and overall diameter and width to the Armada and that I noticed. Was about 20 pounds per whele and 2" more diameter.

WK2 Rover 01-07-2012 12:19 PM

A few pounds for the Hemi ... not an issue. Passengers and cargo add a lot more weight than the tires. Add a K&N air filter to get a few more horses to compensate for the extra weight of real all-terrain tires. I replaced the Michelin tires with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2.

Jeepman3ski 01-14-2012 07:53 PM

I was considering the same thing when I bought tires as the stock are not good enough for winter (i ski alot and will not stop for weather). They are like you said 42lb per tire but the BFG (and the reason why I didn't get them are 52lb). My mpg has gone down a little but I also added a thule box, kayak rack, and bike trays so that is part of the issue as well. They don't seem to perform as well as the bfg's but they are pretty good, alot better then the stock. Ive done highways speeds with 3 inches of snow and done local roads with 6 inches. they hook in pretty well I must say. I have a v8 too by the way.