Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   knocking sound when turning (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/knocking-sound-when-turning-33210.html)

DGoral31 12-29-2011 01:03 PM

knocking sound when turning

so i work in a building that has a parking structure under ground... i park on the 5th flloor down and i make about 20 left turns to get down there and 20 rights to get back up. everytime i make a turni hear a knocking noise in my stearing... its not a constant fluttering noise... but just one knock everytime i turn my wheel to the left or right. I know its not my tires rubbing, its def something in my steering somewhere else...

anyone with ideas?

much appreciated...

-Dave

MattyDipps 12-29-2011 02:51 PM

Re: knocking sound when turning

i had that problem with mine AFTER i put in my rouch country lift same side ... as i turned to the left it made the noise on the passenger side, and i popped my head under there and... my swaybar end bolt popped out and the passenger side sway bar was just sitting there...

i doubt thats ur problem but hey ... its worth a shot

jlewissystem 12-29-2011 03:31 PM

Yup - check sway bar - make sure it's centered.

Scottina06 12-29-2011 04:34 PM

check the sways and links

DGoral31 12-29-2011 07:33 PM

sounds good thanks guys!! ill check tonight... hope this is an easy fix!!

okcmedic 01-09-2012 03:00 PM

I had an issues with mine but it sounded like rubbing or like what it sounds like when your in four wheel low trying to turn with big tires. It only happen with sharp turns. Like pulling out of a parking space. It ended up being a sensor that was engaging 4whhel drive. Replaced it and no more noise. Not sure if that's what your hearing.

DGoral31 01-09-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcmedic (Post 549046)
I had an issues with mine but it sounded like rubbing or like what it sounds like when your in four wheel low trying to turn with big tires. It only happen with sharp turns. Like pulling out of a parking space. It ended up being a sensor that was engaging 4whhel drive. Replaced it and no more noise. Not sure if that's what your hearing.

how did you test the sensor to know it was bad? did you take it to the dealership??? how much did those buggers charge you?!

Blueflame1979 01-15-2012 02:08 PM

*4- my steering wheel vibrates and I hear clucking sounds when holding steering wheel to the end and making a turn. I was told I needed new sway bars and stabilizer links.

DGoral31 01-16-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueflame1979 (Post 553045)
*4- my steering wheel vibrates and I hear clucking sounds when holding steering wheel to the end and making a turn. I was told I needed new sway bars and stabilizer links.

did you ever get that fixed?

i've looked under my jeep several times and everything seems to be sitting just fine...

Blueflame1979 01-16-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGoral31 (Post 553701)
did you ever get that fixed?

i've looked under my jeep several times and everything seems to be sitting just fine...

Tell you the truth I haven't since the last mechanic I went to said it wasn't a big issue, I only remember when I hit a bump, but from what I read online it can stress the steering components if not fixed so I will soon enough, I'll let u know and good luck on diagnosing the problem and finding a fix.

mrtosh 01-16-2012 08:27 PM

Could be the steering rack.

hmiller5 10-16-2012 03:58 PM

Where was the sensor located that you replaced?? also did you (Dgoral31) find your problem??