Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   stealership question-labor for speed sensor? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/stealership-question-labor-for-speed-sensor-33223.html)

MattyDipps 12-29-2011 03:59 PM

stealership question-labor for speed sensor?

okay my truck at the dealer for the light issue and they just called. it needs a front right wheel speed sensor ... and theyre claiming 240 bucks plus tax ? is that right ? how much could i get one for and do it my self ? is it a hard job?

Scottina06 12-29-2011 04:02 PM

Re: stealership question

its gravy! Buy a new one and bring it home. Remove the wheel. The sensor plugs into the hub and then into a port in the fender well. Its a 10 minute job

MattyDipps 12-29-2011 05:03 PM

Re: stealership question-labor for speed sensor?

i just went to the dealer and bought the replacement, came to 36 bucks ... thats the wire thats is clipped and runs down along the strut correct? so all i have to do is trace the sensor to both ends and unclip and then clip the new one in and hang it ?

also will the dash lights automatically go off or should i have to pull the battery terminal after the new install to reset everything?

Scottina06 12-29-2011 05:28 PM

yep...thats it....and save $200 Yep...remove the negative from the terminal and step on the brake pedal a couple times. leave it disconnected for about 20-30 minutes.

2005JGC 12-29-2011 05:39 PM

Typically when it starts getting the signal properly it will turn the light off (may take a mile or 2).

MattyDipps 12-30-2011 02:22 PM

okay guys i get it done it took maybe 35 mins... and the longest part was trying to take the rotor off lol that little o ring was a killer haha ... imm be outside in about 10 mins to try to see if the lights are off ... thanks for all your help guys

dmsfun 12-30-2011 02:48 PM

Dealers are a joke...I was at the dealer for a warrantee issue and overhead the service guy saying they charge $300 to clean the throttle body. LOL

99formulam6 12-30-2011 03:17 PM

Glad you got it done and saved your money.

nyc_medic 12-30-2011 06:14 PM

It's unbelievable how much they want to charge. If I cant get something done under warranty I try to do it myself. They will take you for everything you got and then some.

MattyDipps 12-30-2011 08:16 PM

im upset with my self i knew what it was but i tried to be greedy and i thought it was under warentee ... i go there to find out my warrantee expired, they charged me 99 bucks plus tax for diagnostics and i bought the part for 36 bucks because my parts wholesaler didnt have the part ... cost me 142 bucks instead of 36... i learned my mistake lol im still in the green either way 240 was REDIC as a price