Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Questions about a possible belt issue and coolant (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/questions-about-a-possible-belt-issue-and-coolant-33240.html)

Black Betty 12-29-2011 08:17 PM

Questions about a possible belt issue and coolant

Well I have an 06 Overland w/ Hemi. Anyways it's at 70K mark and I don't know if the belt has been replaced. I know that when I get on it, the belt makes a squeak noise for a second. The belt appears fine upon inspection. However, some of the pulleys have some rusty color to them. In conjunction with my Jeep, I also have an 08 Ram w Hemi. It seems to have a little bit of belt squeakiness when driving. It also has around 70K and the belt looks fine. Does anyone think I should just replace the belts or does anyone think I could have issues with pulleys on either vehicle? It is winter but the weather is not too bad down here in TX right now. As for the coolant part, I noticed that the coolant on the Jeep is a little low. I just topped it off a couple months ago and don't know why it's low. There are no leaks and it's not running hot. I've noticed this is a norm for the Jeep every so often. Is this normal usage or is there just something that I'm not noticing? Any answers would be appreciated.

Scottina06 12-29-2011 10:23 PM

Re: Questions about a possible belt issue and coolant

the belts are hard to read unless they are off tension. But if you are getting squeaking I would def. have them checked out.

Black Betty 12-30-2011 12:22 AM

Well I think I read that they needed to be changed at 60K or maybe that was fluids. Either way I guess it wouldn't hurt to replace them but if I don't have to I'd rather not seeing as I got a kid on the way and spending money on "possibly" can get me in a snowball of trouble with my wife on either vehicle as I can creatively think of ways to make "possibly" get me in trouble. But I guess I can always chalk it up as preventative maintenance.

2005JGC 12-30-2011 12:33 AM

Yeah, it is very difficult to tell if the belt is the problem or the symptom, for the cost (60+/-) from the dealer I would give it a shot (obviously feel free to use an aftermarket belt), first I would pop the belt off and feel all the pulleys by hand, This is not perfect for finding a bad bearing but typically you will be able to feel it spinning it by hand if its bad.

If all is good throw the belt on there and let us know how she goes.

IIRC the belts are 100k mile belts... Not sure who picked that number or how they decided on it I would use that number as a "must replace NOW if not done alread" not a "ok now you can replace your belt" number... ultimately they are a replace as required item and squeeling can be caused by a worn belt.

Black Betty 12-30-2011 08:07 PM

Anyone got anything on the coolant level issue?

Scottina06 12-30-2011 09:47 PM

how much has it lost?

SvenskaJeepGuy 12-30-2011 10:58 PM

how often do you have to top it off? you shouldnt have to touch it at all until it is time to drain it. for the belt i would just swap it out...... i highly recommend goodyear gatorback belts. it shouldnt take you more than 20 min to swap the belt.

2005JGC 12-30-2011 11:38 PM

waterpumps are decently common and can drip slow enough that you wouldnt really notice, add in the fact that they can wait to leak till they are spinning (driving down the road) this could be your problem. Radiator caps are also a decently common slow leak. Inspect the waterpump well for any signs of leakage.

Ultimately the coolant is going somewhere, you should be able to find trace somewhere.

Blueflame1979 12-31-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Betty (Post 542993)
Anyone got anything on the coolant level issue?

If it helps, it's winter up here in NY, so it's getting cold. Eversince the temperatures been dropping so has my coolant level, in the fall it was at the full mark when it got colder it went down to the add mark and ai have no leaks, this is in a time span of about 3 weeks. I asked mechanic about it and he said it was normal, there was also an article if I find it I'll post it where it says that when it gets colder more coolant drains into the engine to protect it or something like thst, don't quote me on that..lol..but ite something along those lines. Plus when coolant is cooler its thinner and when it'd hot it expands st least that's what they say. From my understanding the resovoir is an expansion box there so the coolant has room to expand. what I've read is to check when vehicle is in operating temps and if the coolant is somewhere in the middle then it's fine, if you're really anal about it add more but don't add when it's hot at least that's what they say. They also mention to go by the temp guage inside the car if it goes slightly passed the middle then you should def check coolant and add as necessary. But then again how cold can it get in Texas?

Black Betty 01-01-2012 10:10 PM

Yeah I've been balls deep in work the past couple days. I'll check it again to give y'all an idea of where it's at. The last time I topped it off was during the sumer and I topped both the Jeep and the Ram. The Ram is still at high levels when I checked the other day. Haven't noticed any temp guage issues showing hot, but then again I barely drive my first love since I gave it over to the Mrs.