Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/power-draw-on-2004-grand-cherokee-limited-33242.html)

ratherBfishin1 12-29-2011 08:38 PM

power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
I originally had an issue with a stuck sunroof that I thought was the cause of power loss. I have resolved that issue, but still have a power drain. I have gone under hood and pulled every fuse 1 by 1 and replaced 1 by 1 to find the following. I can replace every fuse except the JB power fuses #3, 7, 12, & 15 in no particular order which will cause an appx. 2 amp draw. I,ve checked every ground point I can locate and all appear in good condition. I've also heard rhat the JB power fuses supply the control modules & that they are electricaly interlocked. Any help will be greatly appreciated before I become a permanent part of my battery charger !!!!

Frango100 12-30-2011 05:19 PM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
Did you already try to remove all the Junction Block fuses and put them back one by one? I think in that way you get closer to where the problem is.

ratherBfishin1 12-30-2011 06:15 PM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 542897)
Did you already try to remove all the Junction Block fuses and put them back one by one? I think in that way you get closer to where the problem is.

As I mentioned in my earlier post I pulled every single fuse under hood and replaced one by one until I found the current draw. Every single JB power fuse (# 3, 7, 12, 15 in any order will cause a current spike !!!!!!!. All are interconnected somehow in which I do not have a clue how to narrow the problem down. NO PROBLEM WITH ANY OTHER FUSES UNDER HOOD (ie. ignition. transmission, etc. Thanks for your help & interest. Ron :confused:

Frango100 12-30-2011 06:22 PM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
Under the hood is the power distribution center. I understood that you pulled the fuses here. But under the steering wheel you have many other fuses on the Junction Block. Since you already narrowed the problem down to the JB, i would pull all the fuses from there and put them back one by one.

ratherBfishin1 12-30-2011 08:40 PM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 542928)
Under the hood is the power distribution center. I understood that you pulled the fuses here. But under the steering wheel you have many other fuses on the Junction Block. Since you already narrowed the problem down to the JB, i would pull all the fuses from there and put them back one by one.

Done that too and I still have a power draw. I spent the last few days trying to narrow this down and as mentioned earlier it is coming from JB power sources 3, 7, 12 & 15 in no particular order. I'm totally clueless. As I stated earlier they all have to be interlocked somehow so there is not a total power failler to the control modules for safety reasons. I've also disconnected the alternator and ran a COMPLETE obd2 scan with no isssues found

Frango100 12-30-2011 10:18 PM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
So the 3, 7, 12 and 15 fuses are the ones in the PDC, right? This are the high power 50A fuses. When you put them back in one at a time, you get the same power draw every time? You know that there is an accessory delay relay, which is probably activated as soon as you put the fuse back in and will stay activated for some 40 sec or so. Did you check for the power draw for a longer time?
When you took out all the lower power fuses on the Junction Block itself, and one by one put them back in, on which positions did you get the current draw?
Eventhough the several control modules are interconnected via the PCI bus, this is a low power data bus and should not cause a major power draw.

ratherBfishin1 01-08-2012 05:45 PM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 543037)
So the 3, 7, 12 and 15 fuses are the ones in the PDC, right? This are the high power 50A fuses. When you put them back in one at a time, you get the same power draw every time? You know that there is an accessory delay relay, which is probably activated as soon as you put the fuse back in and will stay activated for some 40 sec or so. Did you check for the power draw for a longer time?
When you took out all the lower power fuses on the Junction Block itself, and one by one put them back in, on which positions did you get the current draw?
Eventhough the several control modules are interconnected via the PCI bus, this is a low power data bus and should not cause a major power draw.

I pulled each fuse (3,7,12,15) for at least 3 minutes without any change in power loss no matter which one of the listed fuses were removed. I removed the underhood PDC fuse block to check the conductors below for possible short. ???????? According to forum this will be the last (max) post I can make.Thanks for your help Ron:confused:

2005JGC 01-09-2012 03:02 AM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
I had a jeep a while back that had an IOD, I put my meter on it and saw a draw (cannot remember how much, but around 1 amp), the thing was loaded with a large aftermarket stereo, alarm, headliner dvd player... after a short time of poking around the draw went away and for 3 days I couldnt get it to come back, let the car sit over the weekend, it started right up when I came in on tuesday so it was shipped as "not repaired, just cannot get it to act up right now, you will likely be back" he came back PISSED like 2 days later because it was "very clearly still drawing" (he had his meter in hand and wanted to show the writer on the drive). I grabbed the car and brought it up, hooked my meter up and OPENED AND SHUT THE DRIVER DOOR and within 2 minutes the car was asleep with LITTLE draw, all the draw about 30mA was from the dvd player in the roof and his aftermarket cd player but still perfectly healthy IOD.

I have made it a practice every IOD I deal with to open and shut the driver door following a battery disconnect, alot of old timers tell me I dont need to but that car is a prime example, if you disconnected the battery then just hooked up your meter it didnt like to go to sleep, I am sure if you gave it enough time it may have but im talking like 15 minutes I have had my meter on it with it not going to sleep.

JB fuses are Junction block fuses that feed fuses in the interior junction block, go to the interior and start pulling individual fuses.

I would try my door cycle suggestion first, make sure when you do the door cycle you the battery cable touching the battery post so ast to not draw excessive current through your meter, just make sure when you disconnect the battery cable from the post you never break the circuit through the meter. The fact that its ALL the JB fuses bothers me a bit, it makes me think there may be a BCM concern with the interior being told to say alive so all the fuses are active instead of just one failing component in one circuit...

ratherBfishin1 01-15-2012 04:54 PM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 548694)
I had a jeep a while back that had an IOD, I put my meter on it and saw a draw (cannot remember how much, but around 1 amp), the thing was loaded with a large aftermarket stereo, alarm, headliner dvd player... after a short time of poking around the draw went away and for 3 days I couldnt get it to come back, let the car sit over the weekend, it started right up when I came in on tuesday so it was shipped as "not repaired, just cannot get it to act up right now, you will likely be back" he came back PISSED like 2 days later because it was "very clearly still drawing" (he had his meter in hand and wanted to show the writer on the drive). I grabbed the car and brought it up, hooked my meter up and OPENED AND SHUT THE DRIVER DOOR and within 2 minutes the car was asleep with LITTLE draw, all the draw about 30mA was from the dvd player in the roof and his aftermarket cd player but still perfectly healthy IOD.

I have made it a practice every IOD I deal with to open and shut the driver door following a battery disconnect, alot of old timers tell me I dont need to but that car is a prime example, if you disconnected the battery then just hooked up your meter it didnt like to go to sleep, I am sure if you gave it enough time it may have but im talking like 15 minutes I have had my meter on it with it not going to sleep.

JB fuses are Junction block fuses that feed fuses in the interior junction block, go to the interior and start pulling individual fuses.

I would try my door cycle suggestion first, make sure when you do the door cycle you the battery cable touching the battery post so ast to not draw excessive current through your meter, just make sure when you disconnect the battery cable from the post you never break the circuit through the meter. The fact that its ALL the JB fuses bothers me a bit, it makes me think there may be a BCM concern with the interior being told to say alive so all the fuses are active instead of just one failing component in one circuit...

I have been informed about a delay relay, such as the overhead lighting after door is opened or closed. I have worked on it further and this is what I came accross. When I looked for the BCM. I found 2 junction blocks behind passenger side kick panel and disconnected each. Disconnecting UPPER juction block plus removing the TCM fuse decreased the power draw to normal. I also located a broken ground cable on the transmission which can be easily repaired. Any info on upper junc-block loads will be appreciated. Or basic wiring diagrams:) Thanks

Amelie 01-15-2012 04:57 PM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ratherBfishin1 (Post 548337)
. ???????? According to forum this will be the last (max) post I can make.

Once you're a member there's no limit on how much you can post.

Frango100 01-15-2012 06:56 PM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
3 Attachment(s)
Is your jeep right hand driven?
As far as i know there is only 1 junction block, with the fuses on the cabin side and the relays above them. There are 2 horizontally situated connectors in between the fuses and the relays. On the other side is the BCM with an upper connector (JB-C3) and a lower connector (for the BCM itself). This junction block is situated on the left hand side under the dash.
The accessory delay relay is mounted here.

ratherBfishin1 01-25-2012 03:32 PM

Re: power draw on 2004 grand cherokee limited
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 553232)
Is your jeep right hand driven?
As far as i know there is only 1 junction block, with the fuses on the cabin side and the relays above them. There are 2 horizontally situated connectors in between the fuses and the relays. On the other side is the BCM with an upper connector (JB-C3) and a lower connector (for the BCM itself). This junction block is situated on the left hand side under the dash.
The accessory delay relay is mounted here.

In response to your question the vehicle is north american, when looking out windshield the driver is seated on the left. The junction block I spoke of earlier has 2 bolt in connectors 1 upper 1 lower no markings except for manufacturer (AMP). according to the PDF files you sent me it looks like C3. As I stated earlier passenger side behind kick panel upper bolt in connector, now would removing this connector after pulling and replacing every fuse 1 X 1 eliminate the draw. EXCEPT for removing JB power fuses as mentioned earlier:confused: Also these connectors I'm speaking of are vertical.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community