Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   New WK2 taken delivery, already troubles... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/new-wk2-taken-delivery-already-troubles-33253.html)

Newpar 12-30-2011 12:13 AM

New WK2 taken delivery, already troubles...

First of all hello everyone, I'm new to posting but have scanned info daily on my new ride.

Well I'll try to make this short. I was in the market for a new ride a month or so back, I figured I wanted a new Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger but ended up deciding on a new '12 Overland Summit JGC. The dealership was very helpful and understanding on helping me choose. (I had went through going to buy/signing for two cars before I landed on the Jeep.) So they had found one with the ORA II package that I wanted in Steamboat Springs, CO and told me it would be shipped over by truck (I am in Montana). Well great! I wouldn't have to wait for a freshly built one.

So yesterday I went to take delivery, I had already signed and paid for the vehicle (I had originally paid for a Charger until I changed my mind so they already had my money.) The sun was going down so I didn't have much time to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Anyway, when I went to examine it I was already facing problems.

The dealers didn't know how many miles it had until it had came in. When I checked it out it had 804 miles on it! I understand, and have read, that it may have been a demo car, dealer perk car, test drive car, etc etc. It did not get driven from CO to MT and even if it did it would have only had 500 or so miles on it since it only takes around 531 miles one way (love google maps). Second, the driver seat is already showing signs of wear from people getting in and out of the car (that one spot every car seat gets abused, you know near the door right at your butt.) Anyway, this was making me feel ill already.

Then I looked at the exterior, apparently when it came off the truck it was scratched at the front bumper and it is very visible, I pointed it out and the man said he would get it fixed or the whole bumper replaced even showed the service guy about it. (REALLY? Already getting work done on a supposedly "new" car). So I said fine whatever, it was getting cold, my fiance was with me and was sick, I just wanted to bring it home so I could look at it in the garage.

While on my way home I noticed a spec on the windshield, I figured it was dirt and I'd get it washed later when it wasn't so cold out. Today I took it in to get front tints put on, but we aren't done yet! The tint guy pointed out to me several nicks in the windshield, one of them being that spec I thought was dirt! It's pretty deep and he had warned me if they do the quick fix on it that it will just get worse and worse. I noticed several more nicks around it, now I'm feeling nauseous...

There is also a small scratch on the drivers interior door handle, so now I'm going crazy thinking I got super duper shafted...

I love this Jeep guys! But man, I paid in cash using a large part of my savings (I've been saving for a new car of course) so it really hurts to get something supposedly new, but apparently very used.

What do you guys think I should do? I have Mopar parts ready to get installed at the dealer tomorrow, but before then I have an appointment to talk to the sales manager. What would you guys ask for? What would you do in my situation? Sorry for the long post..

(P.S. The chrome tow hooks weren't on this Overland Summit, even though they should be available now, no? Please clarify, I am hoping if they are they can do that for me as well, thanks)

Kevlars 12-30-2011 12:23 AM

Re: New WK2 taken delivery, already troubles...

First off did you get a smoked deal? If you did, well that is why. If you did not then you purchased a used vehicle....I would ask for a new vehicle- you probably won't get one and they will promise to fix every thing. Honestly you should not have driven it off the lot. Best of luck to you.

armoredsaint 12-30-2011 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newpar (Post 542498)
First of all hello everyone, I'm new to posting but have scanned info daily on my new ride.

Well I'll try to make this short. I was in the market for a new ride a month or so back, I figured I wanted a new Chrysler 300 or Dodge Charger but ended up deciding on a new '12 Overland Summit JGC. The dealership was very helpful and understanding on helping me choose. (I had went through going to buy/signing for two cars before I landed on the Jeep.) So they had found one with the ORA II package that I wanted in Steamboat Springs, CO and told me it would be shipped over by truck (I am in Montana). Well great! I wouldn't have to wait for a freshly built one.

So yesterday I went to take delivery, I had already signed and paid for the vehicle (I had originally paid for a Charger until I changed my mind so they already had my money.) The sun was going down so I didn't have much time to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Anyway, when I went to examine it I was already facing problems.

The dealers didn't know how many miles it had until it had came in. When I checked it out it had 804 miles on it! I understand, and have read, that it may have been a demo car, dealer perk car, test drive car, etc etc. It did not get driven from CO to MT and even if it did it would have only had 500 or so miles on it since it only takes around 531 miles one way (love google maps). Second, the driver seat is already showing signs of wear from people getting in and out of the car (that one spot every car seat gets abused, you know near the door right at your butt.) Anyway, this was making me feel ill already.

Then I looked at the exterior, apparently when it came off the truck it was scratched at the front bumper and it is very visible, I pointed it out and the man said he would get it fixed or the whole bumper replaced even showed the service guy about it. (REALLY? Already getting work done on a supposedly "new" car). So I said fine whatever, it was getting cold, my fiance was with me and was sick, I just wanted to bring it home so I could look at it in the garage.

While on my way home I noticed a spec on the windshield, I figured it was dirt and I'd get it washed later when it wasn't so cold out. Today I took it in to get front tints put on, but we aren't done yet! The tint guy pointed out to me several nicks in the windshield, one of them being that spec I thought was dirt! It's pretty deep and he had warned me if they do the quick fix on it that it will just get worse and worse. I noticed several more nicks around it, now I'm feeling nauseous...

There is also a small scratch on the drivers interior door handle, so now I'm going crazy thinking I got super duper shafted...

I love this Jeep guys! But man, I paid in cash using a large part of my savings (I've been saving for a new car of course) so it really hurts to get something supposedly new, but apparently very used.

What do you guys think I should do? I have Mopar parts ready to get installed at the dealer tomorrow, but before then I have an appointment to talk to the sales manager. What would you guys ask for? What would you do in my situation? Sorry for the long post..

(P.S. The chrome tow hooks weren't on this Overland Summit, even though they should be available now, no? Please clarify, I am hoping if they are they can do that for me as well, thanks)

there's your problem and you think a demo car wouldn't have miles on it? :rolleyes:

Newpar 12-30-2011 12:42 AM

I paid 46,669 for it. Overland Summit with ORA II and V8 4x4 of course, nothing else.

I was also NOT informed it was a demo car, I searched online why a "new" car would have over 500 miles on it, which I then came to the conclusion it was either a demo car or perk car of some sort, was never informed prior to taking delivery nor after, which I am going to ask my dealer what it was actually used for.

rustyosaurus 12-30-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newpar (Post 542512)
I paid 46,669 for it. Overland Summit with ORA II and V8 4x4 of course, nothing else.

I was also NOT informed it was a demo car, I searched online why a "new" car would have over 500 miles on it, which I then came to the conclusion it was either a demo car or perk car of some sort, was never informed prior to taking delivery nor after, which I am going to ask my dealer what it was actually used for.

i responded to you in the other forum, but i really don't think it matters what the car was used for previously - it obviously was driven quite alot either as a demo or a perk car or someone bought it and returned it. who cares - not your problem. you paid for a new car and you should receive a new car unless they want to compensate you for the obvious wear and mileage.

AAAA 12-30-2011 08:05 AM

That mileage would have stopped me in my tracks. Return it.

drwaldo69 12-30-2011 08:52 AM

In Arizona, you have three days to return it. Take pictures of everything wrong with the JGC to document it including the odometer. Talk to the owner of the dealership or general manager and except nothing less than a fresh, new vehicle. IF, you decide you want to keep it then you should be compensated for the wear and tear.

Your "new" JGC has much more wear and damage on it than mine with 3600 miles on it.

You could try to get a price on KBB, NADA, Edmunds or Truecar and see what a used JGC sells for with you miles on it, that would be the refund I would want if I kept it plus the repairs. Simple thing is to get a new one with documented miles on it. Never pre-pay, sign for, or put a "deposit" down for a new car until you have seen it. Once you sign for it, it is yours for all intents and purposes. Again, go straight to the top. A salesman can weasle around on you and hope you go away. The GM will have a harder time. Call Chrysler as well if they won't play ball. The dealership doesn't want a bad customer survey post purchase. Let them know you will make the survey as bad as possible. I lknow you maybe in a smaller town so I guess in the end it just depends how far you want to go with it. Be nice, keep you cool, but go for the jugular!. Good luck.

ernestd 12-30-2011 09:01 AM

Had a similar issue with my purchase,"unknown mileage".The exception with mine was that the vehicle had rear end and passenger side repairs that the dealer "forgot " to disclose to me .I like to wash my own vehicle and that's how I discovered the repairs.Well, when push came to shove the dealer did take the vehicle back and got me a new one.
Do what you have to do otherwise you will not enjoy your purchase at all.
Cheers

moosehead 12-30-2011 09:34 AM

Just the road rash in the windshield suggests this was driven on winter roads, most likely in the mountains, even the front auto on a truck would be high up enough to avoid the hits. The seat wear and mileage are enough objective fact.

Agree with above responses, you paid for a new vehicle, but received a used JGC.

You should go ahead and open a complaint case with Chryco to help press for a proper replacement, along with a long term if not lifetime warranty for your troubles.

JTS97Z28 12-30-2011 10:28 AM

I absolutely would NOT keep that car. If I paid that much for a new Jeep it damn well better be just that...NEW!! If I were going to buy a used vehicle with almost 1,000 miles on it, a worn seat, cosmetic issues etc etc, the price absolutely will have to reflect that. I dont mean to be such a downer here, but you worked very hard to save up all that money to be able to buy such a nice vehicle. If it were me, that would be unacceptable! Hopefully its not too late to do something. Please keep us informed, but I would get on it today dont let anymore time go by.

James

robpp 12-30-2011 03:22 PM

Colorado has the 3 day law too.

RETURN IT!

Mendo 12-30-2011 03:27 PM

In Australia we have mandatory cooling off clauses in our contracts. They are for this exact thing where you unexpectedly are sold something you didn't want. Does your invoice state one 'new' JGC? Did you pay the price for a new one? Even if you got a cracking deal the salesman should have disclosed why.

I agree take it back. I expect if you are polite but firm you shouldn't have too much trouble. I would recommend you work out exactly what you want. Discount vs replacement before you go in and make it very clear from the start.

Im sorry your experience has been tarnished this way

Good luck.