Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Hidden Feature - FOUND!!! ***WOW*** (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/hidden-feature-found-wow-33257.html)

Dan JGC 12-30-2011 01:59 AM

Hidden Feature - FOUND!!! ***WOW***

2 Attachment(s)
Hey all ... after owning my Summit for 9-1/2 months I just discovered that the the front (front only, not the three rear) headrests "tilt" out for adjustment and not just up and down. See photos. Hadn't read this on the forum anywhere else. Nice touch for Jeep.

Let me know if anyone else had found this or read about it...just curious.

BobsWK2 12-30-2011 02:28 AM

Re: Hidden Feature - FOUND!!! ***WOW***

It is mentioned in the owners manual.

MikeH 12-30-2011 08:30 AM

I think it's part of the "active head restraint" feature. When in an accident, they pop out to help reduce whiplash.

Dan JGC 12-30-2011 10:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
^^^

The Active Head Restraint is actually more complicated...see deployed photo. The tilting part is actually just for comfort as explained in this link which is what I just discovered (interesting that a headrest is so complicated):

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_active_restraints.htm

"AHR COMPONENTS
Active head restraints are those which require the vehicle occupants to take some action to initiate, such as electronic stability control. A passive system does not require any action by the vehicle occupants to operate. It simply activates when a set of criteria or sequence of events occur.

While the new Active Head Restraints (AHR) are passive in operation, they are referred to as an active system. The AHR system is designed to deploy in the event of a rear collision with the gear selector in any gear except Reverse. The AHR system is standard equipment for both front seats on the 2011 Grand Cherokee.

The AHR system has a linkage permitting the lower part of the pad to tilt forward for comfort. It also includes a linkage that articulates the pad during deployment, a caliper-type latch mechanism, and the latch striker.

The only electrical component of the AHR unit is a latch-release solenoid and the pigtail wire that connects the solenoid to the vehicle’s electrical system. The ORC does not monitor the latch for an open or closed position. The pigtail wire and connector are routed through the center of the right support posts and down through the guide sleeve into the interior of the seat back. The pigtail wire and connector are connected to a dedicated takeout and connector of the seat wire harness."

WoodyCanuck 12-30-2011 07:21 PM

I actually was quite relieved when I first sat in the Jeep that the headrests were adjustable, and in the "back" position didn't rub the back of my head.
I don't like my head hitting the headrest, as it does in a lot of cars.

And of course I like the "active head restraint" feature, so that in a collision from the rear,
the headrest will move up & forward to prevent whiplash. :thumbsup:
Great feature.

BobsWK2 12-31-2011 02:18 AM

Even the 2010 $72K BMW that I sold to get the GC didn't have the adjustable tilt headrest. From what I have read, it cost a lot of money to put an adjustable tilt headrest with the active head restraint in vehicles. Many other vehicles just have the headrest sticking forward to much and since its not adjustable, it hits the back of the head to much. I believe many Ford products are like that.

I give the Jeep GC designers/engineers credit for this although I'll bet it was designed along with the same headrest in the 2012 MB ML, of which they are sister vehicles.