Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Jeep Grand Cherokee EV Will Debut At Detroit Auto Show (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/jeep-grand-cherokee-ev-will-debut-at-detroit-auto-show-33262.html)

Mark Paul 12-30-2011 08:06 AM

Jeep Grand Cherokee EV Will Debut At Detroit Auto Show

Here's the article with a short video:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...rColumnArea1.1

rubicontrail.net 12-30-2011 08:22 AM

Re: Jeep Grand Cherokee EV Will Debut At Detroit Auto Show

I am guessing it is only available in 2WD. :(

Sharptail 12-31-2011 04:02 PM

80 to 100 mile range, eh? Electric only? I wonder how far it will go in minus 30 weather with 6 inches of snow on the roads, and the heater blasting full, the GPS in play and the stereo cranking out tunes. I think this vehicle is an answer to a question nobody has asked.

Sharptail

AAAA 12-31-2011 04:32 PM

I don't get it other than not polluting the air in my neighborhood I am now polluting the air in someone else's neighborhood that is home to the power plant working extra hard to recharge my electric Jeep.

mitchelm 12-31-2011 04:54 PM

might be good for some local municipalities. Or individuals who dont commute locally and can charge their vehicles every night. Other than that, kinda of pointless. Maybe a move to up CAFE truck numbers?

JTS97Z28 12-31-2011 05:22 PM

I personally think it sounds like a great idea. Very similar range to the new Chevy Volt which was designed around the average persons daily commute to work. My drive to work is 13 miles each way which means I could technically go about 90% of the year without ever buying fuel. I could careless about offroading as my vehicles are always on pavement, and my vehicles are parked in my garage every single night with access to outlets. We dont really take road trips because if we are going on a trip its usually in a Boeing or Airbus product (not a Jeep). Now I know this doesn't work for everyone, but for me could be a pretty damn sweet thing.
Just curious does anyone know if this will change the oem drivetrain at all? I mean you still get to use your Hemi or Pentastar like normal if you want right? Also, I saw someone mention about it only working on 2wd possibly. I would want 4wd for winter season. Well shit, in that case I would get the SRT then:-)
Either way sounds like a great idea to me, although I would imagine this would be damn expensive to have done though.

James

rubicontrail.net 01-01-2012 01:44 AM

I believe that it is a full electric like the Nissan Leaf, so that means the PentaStar or Hemi would be absent. Which makes you wonder what is taking up the space in the front? The batteries are usually put below the floor to keep the center of gravity low.

Knightrider03m 01-01-2012 04:49 AM

Damn it. Make a damn car that have a 200 mile range and I WILL buy it. 100 miles would get me to work and 1/4 the way back home..... if that.

JRoll1ns 01-01-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 543403)
I don't get it other than not polluting the air in my neighborhood I am now polluting the air in someone else's neighborhood that is home to the power plant working extra hard to recharge my electric Jeep.

That's the American way. Don't shit in our yard that's wrong. But shitting in someone elses yard so that we can't smell it is perfectly acceptable

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

louiej611@aol.com 01-01-2012 11:36 AM

What a joke, no mention of cost, no 4 wheel drive, 100 mile range, who know when you use heater, ac, or other options. Plus subsidised by the taxpayer. The government does not have a clue. We are not at peak oil, The earth has not warmed in 10 years. Greenies weenies are trying to take over the world to fund their agenda and to get money from people who work hard, redistribution of our wealth to the lazy who do not want to work and go to school forever.

JTS97Z28 01-01-2012 02:02 PM

Oh ok then n/m if it completely removes the original engine that sucks. If that's the case and it only has a range of 100 miles in optimal conditions then that will severely limit what you can use the Jeep for. I was thinking it was like the Chevy Volt with a standard gas motor to use when the battery dies. I'm still curious to see what kind of mpg figures the 2013 diesel produces.

BManz 01-02-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 543718)
Oh ok then n/m if it completely removes the original engine that sucks. If that's the case and it only has a range of 100 miles in optimal conditions then that will severely limit what you can use the Jeep for. I was thinking it was like the Chevy Volt with a standard gas motor to use when the battery dies. I'm still curious to see what kind of mpg figures the 2013 diesel produces.

+1 totally agree.

There is no reason they can't do a Volt-like layout in a WK2 and get 500+ miles range and still provide ample torque for towing or off-road use. All locomotives are diesel-electric "hybrids". An electric motor has all of it's torque all the time at all rpm. It just needs an efficient on-board generator to give it juice.