Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Center LATCH setup? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/center-latch-setup-33298.html)

JeepJunkie 12-30-2011 11:05 PM

Center LATCH setup?

We are expecting in a few weeks and it is time to get that infant seat ready. I'd like it in the center seat for safety and also ease of access from either side.

Does anyone have experience using the LATCH system for the middle seat? It lists in the users guide that all three seats have latch but only the outboard ones can take a child seat with fixed anchor points, which i believe is most child seats!

Does anyone have experience with a child seat that can actually connect to the type of LATCH anchor availible in the center seat? Thanks.

Sliter'12Overland 12-31-2011 02:51 PM

Re: Center LATCH setup?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepJunkie (Post 543065)
We are expecting in a few weeks and it is time to get that infant seat ready. I'd like it in the center seat for safety and also ease of access from either side.

Does anyone have experience using the LATCH system for the middle seat? It lists in the users guide that all three seats have latch but only the outboard ones can take a child seat with fixed anchor points, which i believe is most child seats!

Does anyone have experience with a child seat that can actually connect to the type of LATCH anchor availible in the center seat? Thanks.

You should keep infants/youngest on the passanger side of the rear seat this keeps them out of traffic most of the time and provides some stability in side impacts. The jeeps are very tall and extremely strong I'm not that concerned even if there was and impact on that side unless it's at high speeds but then any collision is terrible.

Crestwood1001 12-31-2011 02:53 PM

I use mine every day, we keep it in the center but its very easy, you just hook onto each side and pull tight!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

loadedlaramie 12-31-2011 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 543367)
I use mine every day, we keep it in the center but its very easy, you just hook onto each side and pull tight!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

X2!

Just turned our seat around last week and put it on the pass side but its been in the middle backwards for a year and never had an issue, just make sure you push down hard on the car seat while pulling the strap tight.

kazak 01-01-2012 11:01 AM

I currently use the middle seat for my 3 year old. There are anchor points in between the seat and back cushions of the right/left seats but I also use the middle anchor in the back of the middle seat. It's a pain to get in there sometimes since I have it lean as far back as possible. This makes the cover back there pretty tight and it's just in the way.

You should consider using a towel or some old shirts to protect the seats. Mine has some sharp points that it makes some deep indentations.

rotaryzz 03-20-2012 10:20 AM

>.... I also use the middle anchor in the back of the middle seatI also use the middle anchor in the back of the middle seat

So there are actually anchor points for the middle seat instead of using anchor points designed for the outboard seats on either side? If that's the case there would be a total of 6 anchor points.

Jdsmitty10 03-20-2012 12:11 PM

I plan on using the seatbelts to install my 3 seats. I need to use seatbelts to be able to fit 3 across. I refuse to buy a minivan hahah. Got 3 across my doublecab Tacoma too. The latch anchors don't give enough room to fit 3 in. But with the belts you can push the outboard seats closer to the doors to fit them. No one will ever get to enjoy my rear heated seats since my 3.5, 2 and 3month olds get first dibs hahhaha

bigjgcfan 03-20-2012 02:21 PM

According to the 2012 JGC Owners Manual ... Pages 86-89

Stating that only the 2 outboard seats have LATCH capability, meaning only 4 anchorage points.

It further states that "vehicle seat belt must be used for the center position".

rotaryzz 03-20-2012 03:01 PM

If that's the case existing seat belt is the only solution for securing the child seat in the middle position.

JTS97Z28 03-20-2012 03:13 PM

We currently have our child seat rear facing in the middle. The manual clearly stated that the seat belt MUST be used in this case so thats what im doing. Only thing that seemed weird is that im pretty sure it said to not use the latch anchor on the back of the child seat. So because of this only the side with the seat belt strap is secured. I didnt see a good place to use the strap anchor down behind the front seats anyway.
So on a middle mounted rear facing seat is the seat belt really the only thing used to mount the seat? Seems mounted ok I guess.
I used a few towels to protect the leather. I wanted to put the child seat on the side, but it just takes up wayy too much space and the passenger side front seat would have to be so far up. I hate rear facing child seats lol.

James

rotaryzz 03-20-2012 03:17 PM

Since there are no dedicated anchor points for the middle seat one have to rely on the seat belt regardless of front-facing or rear-facing in order to secure the child seat.

fljeepleo 03-20-2012 03:18 PM

Pictures of middle setup?