Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Possible fuel pump out? help! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/possible-fuel-pump-out-help-33309.html)

bematare 12-31-2011 07:55 AM

Possible fuel pump out? help!

Hey guys so last night I was on my break, hopped in the Jeep started her up(she started just fine) popped her into reverse and zipped back, put it in drive and then all of a sudden I no longer had any gas, and my car just rolled into a stop. I tried to start it again but with no success.

Anyone had a similar problem? Anyone know what the problem might be? I was talking with a janitor who told me he had a similar Jeep and the same thing happened to him but his Fuel Pump was out.

My battery is about 1 1/2 months old,(no electric problems on start-up), Oil is good(about to get it changed in 500+/- miles. When I went to start it up again(we pulled it into a parking lot) it seemed that I wasn't getting any ignition so my thoughts right now are that the spark plug died, or that its a deeper issue. I was watching the engine bay and everything was moving to where it should be but it wasn't starting..

If it is a fuel pump problem anyone know what that might run me(estimate?) I was told a new fuel pump is ~80$ + labor ~100$ something..

Thanks for the help guys!

Amelie 12-31-2011 09:19 AM

Re: Possible fuel pump out? help!

These damn Jeeps and their problems lol.

It seems like when something goes wrong, it all goes wrong lol

Gus9890 12-31-2011 09:56 AM

Check the fuses first, if they're good to go, then it may be the fuel pump. Not sure on the pricing for the fuel pump. Haven't had to replace one in a Jeep.

JeepMe 12-31-2011 10:04 AM

Before replacing the fuel pump I would make sure that you're not getting gas out of the injectors. Pull the injectors, put them in a cup, and crank the engine for a second. If you're not getting fuel, the cups should be dry.

Frango100 12-31-2011 10:17 AM

First of all check if you have any DTC set (keydance). If not, open the gas cap and listen if you hear the fuel pump running when someone else puts the ignition switch in on. The fuel pump should run for 3 seconds and shuts off. If no sound, check the fuse 24 in the power distribution center under the hood. If ok, swap the fuel pump relay in the power distribution center with a similar one next to it.
If the fuel pump runs, it also could be a crank position sensor.

01grand 12-31-2011 07:10 PM

Lots of good advice so far, but I have a few things to add. When you stick the key in and turn it to run you should hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds to pressurize the rail, then cut out if you dont start it. If you do not hear the pump run, check the fuses, if they are good test the fuel pump relay by swapping it with another one, if the relay is bad the problem will move with it (I've used the starter relay, very obvious if it is the problem lol). If you still don't hear the pump run I would say it needs to be replaced.

The pump should cost around $100 (dont use Airtex, I have heard bad things about them and had a bad one myself), but labor would be a lot higher, you have to drop the fuel tank to get to the pump. If it is replaced have a new filter put on for safe measure.

Good luck!

2005JGC 12-31-2011 07:10 PM

I would lean away from the fuel pump, your going to run like crap before it dies, its not going to just die on you (as it uses fuel and the pressure drops it will run worse and worse till it has bled enough pressure it cannot stay alive.

crankshaft position sensors are VERY common on the 4.0l and will cause an instant dieout.

Also I have seen a couple pcm's have a coil driver issue where it will intermittantly loose the coil driver.

more than likely its the former, reguardless as suggested already, try the key dance and pull any codes to help point you in the right direction.

bematare 01-01-2012 04:19 AM

Thanks a lot guys!!

bematare 01-09-2012 02:34 PM

So apperently it was a fuse problem, but when I took it to the shop they replaced the fuse several times because it kept busting them, and after the third try they replaced it and it worked fine. Then they put the old fuse and it worked just fine. These were the codes they were able to pull up; P0622, P0456, and PO1389

2005JGC 01-09-2012 02:44 PM

your P0456 will be back, its an evap leak, and fuses dont fix those ;)

That said, replacing fuses until it doesnt blow one didnt fix your non running problem either, If fuses are blowing there is a short, period. Look at the wire harness around the back of the valve cover, on the drivers side the head bolt has a stud sticking up through the top of it, I have seen this harness running back there lay down on this stud and eventually rub through a wire (in my case it was an injector driver wire) but alot of stuff runs back there im am sure including ASD power and if your ASD shorts out it will blow the fuse and you will get the P1389.

JeepMe 01-09-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 549034)
Look at the wire harness around the back of the valve cover, on the drivers side the head bolt has a stud sticking up through the top of it, I have seen this harness running back there lay down on this stud and eventually rub through a wire (in my case it was an injector driver wire) but alot of stuff runs back there im am sure including ASD power and if your ASD shorts out it will blow the fuse and you will get the P1389.

Mine did this same thing except it shorted the A/C wire and caused that fuse to blow. It was hard for me to find because as I was moving the loom around as it was in the channel that goes next to the head, it kept changing from a short to open. It wasn't until I spent even more time in the back feeling that I noticed it.