Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Won't Start... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/wont-start-33311.html)

DaBigBone 12-31-2011 09:28 AM

Won't Start...

About a month ago I had an issue with my WK not starting. Assuming it was the battery, I went to AutoZone and had them test it. The battery, alternator, and starter all tested out just fine. Then I quit having the problem, and the car was fine for another month.

Well it started again last night. Won't start. If I hook it up to jumper cables, it starts immediately. Not even a hesitation. I'm kind of stumped on what it could be...I'm going to go today and get the electrical system tested again.

Suggestions?

oldgeezer 12-31-2011 10:48 AM

Re: Won't Start...

Here is a thread with a similar problem that I and a few others responded to. Hope that this might help.
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/07-gc-laredo-wont-start-help-32607.html

DaBigBone 12-31-2011 11:24 AM

Thanks for the info. Mine doesnt even try to start. I turn the key, it clicks once, and stops.

oldgeezer 12-31-2011 12:11 PM

Had the same exact problem on my WJ. Mechanic first replaced the starter and wiring. Result was positive at first. Problem happened again. Turned out to be the Trans. neutral safety switch with additional cable adjustment for the shifter. No longer had any problem. Added for clarification in my case.

Crestwood1001 12-31-2011 12:38 PM

I had this issue, the connection between the battery and starter was loose, fixed that and it still happened. It was the battery. I guarantee if u get the battery replaced it'll stop. They are super touchy with batterys, the wk electrical systems are weird. Just clean all the connections and tighten them down and replace the battery

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

DaBigBone 12-31-2011 06:37 PM

Well I replaced the starter and it seems to be fine. Hopefully this is the last time it happens.

Crestwood1001 12-31-2011 06:48 PM

If u spent the money to replace the starterthen just get a new battery to, trust me

2005JGC 12-31-2011 06:51 PM

If it clicks its the starter... period, It can be a connection or battery but a single click is an indication that the starter solenoid has been actuated and nothing following the click is an indication of no electrons flowing through the solenoid... so to sum it up starter solenoid is doing what its supposed to do but the starter motor isnt getting the word to turn.

BTW, I did see you got to that already and I feel you have likely resolved the problem.

also oldgeezer, any time "...and additional adjustment of the linkage" is added to something that means the repair didnt fix it and that is when they found it was just out of adjustment ;) just sayin.

DaBigBone 01-01-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001 (Post 543459)
If u spent the money to replace the starterthen just get a new battery to, trust me

I was planning on it, but the battery in there is barely a year old. It's the "Duralast Gold" model which is the best one Autozone sells. It came back at 100% on the test so I think I'll leave it for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 543462)
If it clicks its the starter... period, It can be a connection or battery but a single click is an indication that the starter solenoid has been actuated and nothing following the click is an indication of no electrons flowing through the solenoid... so to sum it up starter solenoid is doing what its supposed to do but the starter motor isnt getting the word to turn.

BTW, I did see you got to that already and I feel you have likely resolved the problem.

also oldgeezer, any time "...and additional adjustment of the linkage" is added to something that means the repair didnt fix it and that is when they found it was just out of adjustment ;) just sayin.

Hopefully it was just the starter. Thanks for the info though.

It's been sitting overnight so hopefully it doesnt give me any problems this afternoon when I leave for work!

ernieburn9 01-02-2012 12:03 PM

Old geezer

How did you fix the tranny problem? Any one have a diagram of those parts?

Thanks !

oldgeezer 01-02-2012 02:18 PM

My tranny problem wass on my WJ Jeep. Sorry for the confusion problem. I will look in the 2005 wk factory manual and see if I can find a neutral safety switch? I would assume that one is there although I have been wrong before. Thanks.

oldgeezer 01-02-2012 02:40 PM

I found this info in the 2005 WK manual for the 5.7.
ADJUSTMENTS - GEARSHIFT CABLE
Check adjustment by starting the engine in PARK and NEUTRAL. Adjustment is CORRECT if the engine starts only
in these positions. Adjustment is INCORRECT if the engine starts in one but not both positions. If the engine starts
in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL, or if the engine will not start at all, the park/neutral position contact

may be faulty.
The section is 21-382. I highlighted in Bold the referenced contact information. Hope that helps clarify the issue.