Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/replacing-vanity-lights-with-leds-33328.html)

Amelie 12-31-2011 08:37 PM

Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
I'm curious if I could use one of these to replace the vanity lights as they are one of the last incandescent bulbs I have left in the interior. I should be able to just swap in and out right? Has anyone replaced their vanity lights?

How to remove the bulbs:

http://wjjeeps.com/lamps/vanityrem.jpg

LED:

http://www.v-leds.com/Vanity-LED/c506140-1-2/

grantb 01-08-2012 05:24 PM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
Hey fellow LED Enthusiast!!! :)

I too only have the vanity bulbs left to swap out. I just placed an order for some from http://autolumination.com/

i will let you know if they work out and post some pics!! Should have them by the middle of next week.

Just this weekend my GF gets in the car, and I show her all my LED lights and she goes "oh that looks nice, and its brighter" Then being a woman flips down the sun visor and opens the vanity to check herself and points at those two bulbs and says "you missed these up here"... GRRRRRRR!

Amelie 01-08-2012 06:17 PM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
Very nice lol, I'll look forward to your results

Quote:

Originally Posted by grantb (Post 548327)

Just this weekend my GF gets in the car, and I show her all my LED lights and she goes "oh that looks nice, and its brighter"

Dat's what it's all about :D

grantb 01-08-2012 06:35 PM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
Yes, but leave it to a woman to point out the 4 bulbs out of the entire automobile yet to be replaced.... But, Hey I have that same attention to detail that's why you will find an 8k LED in my GLOVEBOX, bahahahaha. This thread needs more PICS!!!! :thumbsup:
http://i.imgur.com/4oeral.jpg


Interior LED's now -
http://i.imgur.com/uIWmEl.jpg

Silly YELLOW looking vanity has yet to be replaced, coming soon!
http://i.imgur.com/0HY3jl.jpg

Amelie 01-08-2012 06:47 PM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
Did you put your resistor above the cargo light or are you yet to mount one?

grantb 01-08-2012 07:34 PM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reichminister Goebbels (Post 548388)
Did you put your resistor above the cargo light or are you yet to mount one?

No.

I purchased one.
I have it at home sitting on the counter, but have not installed it yet...

Amelie 01-08-2012 09:06 PM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grantb (Post 548410)
No.

I purchased one.
I have it at home sitting on the counter, but have not installed it yet...

Don't you have any problems with them staying on dim?

grantb 01-09-2012 08:50 AM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
Problems as in....
#1 - a slight distraction when looking in your rear view mirror at traffic
#2 - allowing nefarious people to easily see what is in my cargo area at night
#3 - likely doing wonders for a small trickle drain on my battery (probably insignificant)
#4 - annoys people who have a high attention to detail

That said, my car starts every time I get in it and drives when I push the right peddle :P

01grand 01-09-2012 10:33 AM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grantb (Post 548767)
Problems as in....
#1 - a slight distraction when looking in your rear view mirror at traffic
#2 - allowing nefarious people to easily see what is in my cargo area at night
#3 - likely doing wonders for a small trickle drain on my battery (probably insignificant)
#4 - annoys people who have a high attention to detail

That said, my car starts every time I get in it and drives when I push the right peddle :P

Ha, your #4 would bug me too. I think you would have to leave the lights on for a long time to drain the battery, LEDs use about 75% less energy than incandescents, so they will have too be on a lot longer to kill the battery.

The LEDs look good inside! I will have to consider doing this, I like the whiter, brighter look.

Amelie 01-09-2012 02:27 PM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by grantb (Post 548767)
Problems as in....
#1 - a slight distraction when looking in your rear view mirror at traffic
#2 - allowing nefarious people to easily see what is in my cargo area at night
#3 - likely doing wonders for a small trickle drain on my battery (probably insignificant)
#4 - annoys people who have a high attention to detail

lol those are all negligible problems but like some people say "If you're going to do something, do it right" But you still achieved good results and were happy so in the end that's all that really matters.


Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 548847)
I think you would have to leave the lights on for a long time to drain the battery, LEDs use about 75% less energy than incandescents, so they will have too be on a lot longer to kill the battery.

Very true, but when you talk of 75% less energy used that's more like a Compact Fluorescent. LED's use more like 1/10 the power, so more like 90% less. Regardless any of damn number everyone know's their efficient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 548847)
The LEDs look good inside! I will have to consider doing this, I like the whiter, brighter look.

You totally should, it's a real easy mod that does a lot for the interior lol

Gus9890 01-10-2012 02:00 AM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
Looks real good, I really need to start going back to my list and finding the time to work on my Jeep lol

Amelie 01-10-2012 02:27 AM

Re: Replacing Vanity Lights with LED's
 
@GrantB: I like the sig pic brotha :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community