Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Removing Rear Brake Rotors (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/removing-rear-brake-rotors-33329.html)

snooker 12-31-2011 09:26 PM

Removing Rear Brake Rotors

Is there a trick to getting the rear brake rotors off? I tried today and they would not budge, even when hit with a hammer. I was afraid to hit them hard with a sledge hammer for fear of breaking or bending something.

reynolds 12-31-2011 10:44 PM

Re: Removing Rear Brake Rotors

Take the bolts that held the caliper and as you turn then in you will see that they will start to hit the rotor crank down on them and hit rotor with a hammer and they WILL pop right off
I hit my with a hammer but nothing happen it was when I used the bolds it just pop off
I could not believe it was that easy

phil_sauve 01-01-2012 10:47 AM

You can also loose the adjustment of the e-brake lining on the inside of the rotor ! They could be stick to your rotor.

Hit it with a huge hammer, put all your energies and they will come off.

Bleeding Blue 01-01-2012 11:40 AM

Lather all the contact points with some PB Blaster, that stuff is gold in a can

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-01-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reynolds (Post 543533)
Take the bolts that held the caliper and as you turn then in you will see that they will start to hit the rotor crank down on them and hit rotor with a hammer and they WILL pop right off
I hit my with a hammer but nothing happen it was when I used the bolds it just pop off
I could not believe it was that easy

^this is the only way to do it. you can hit it with a hammer and it wont do anything......... it is insane how easy they are to remove this way!

snooker 01-01-2012 04:43 PM

Thanks guys, I never would have thought of that. I'll give it a try as soon as possible.

brianx22 04-29-2013 09:54 AM

I fought with the rotors on my Sister in Law's 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo yesterday and had the same problem. I fianlly figured it out after 30 minutes of pounding on the rotor in anger. Thought I'd save somebody else the aggaravation. Usually, a couple of good whacks with a hammer breaks the rotor free and you can pull it off. That loosened the rotor so I could wiggle it but there was something else holding it on. I thought maybe it was the parking brake but nope...no good.

It turns out there's a little rubber 'O' ring on the hub just outside of the rotor that holds the rotor on. So yeah I guess you could manhandle the rotor and push it over this thing but remove that little rubber 'O' ring and it comes off easy peasy japanesey. I almost missed it....it was covered in brake dust and was camoflaged.

suzieque 04-29-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianx22 (Post 813771)
It turns out there's a little rubber 'O' ring on the hub just outside of the rotor that holds the rotor on. So yeah I guess you could manhandle the rotor and push it over this thing but remove that little rubber 'O' ring and it comes off easy peasy japanesey. I almost missed it....it was covered in brake dust and was camoflaged.

X2

same here!

brianx22 04-29-2013 02:02 PM

On a positive note, wailing a sledge for 30 minutes into a rotor while cursing is apparently a good workout. Geez I'm sore today.

ALPINEST4RS 04-30-2013 08:15 AM

i used pb blaster and a sledge for a good 20mins. all of a sudden i noticed there was a rubber o ring covered up by dirt. removed that it i slid it off. LOL

qnen34 05-04-2013 05:03 PM

The parking brake shoes on my '05 GJC came loose from their metal backing plates and were making quite a noise. I just used the brake caliper bolt trick described above and it worked marvelously to get those rotors off. This is the reason I joined the forum, for these time saving tips. Thanks!!