Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Trans Over Temp Blinking (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/trans-over-temp-blinking-33377.html)

grand07cherokee 01-02-2012 09:37 AM

Trans Over Temp Blinking

im getting a trans over temp light blinking, no check engines light and this light also doesnt happen all the time it randomnly blinks, i took it to the dealership they replaced the hydro electric valve in the transmission and i didnt see the light again for a week well now i just happen to see it yesterday blink a few times, i got no clue it sounds like this could be a electrical issue, anyone have any ideas??

sorry im new to this who jeep thing just purchased it..

grand07cherokee 01-02-2012 01:04 PM

Re: Trans Over Temp Blinking

no thoughts guys?

2005JGC 01-02-2012 03:06 PM

Just for future reference, it is always mucho helpful when asking technical related questions to give all the information you have and related to you, such as but not limited to:

-Year:2007
-Make:Jeep
-Model:Grand Cherokee
-Engine:???
-Transmission:??? (we can figure this out with what engine you have if you dont know)
-When is the problem happening:???
-How long have you been driving it at the time and what kind of driving:???
-Is there any rhyme or reason to it coming on that you notice: (like long uphill drives with constant down shifts and upshifts, or just normal mix of highway and city...)

If its just random and sometimes happen shortly after startup, either way you never do anything about it and it always goes away I would lean towards a sensor or wiring concern... Was it the valve body that was replaced?

Either way if they didnt fix it hold them to their diagnosis, bring it back and expect that they will get it right on their dime, if that doesnt sound good to them ask for a manager or the owner... just remember to remain calm cool and collected while taking this as high in the shop as you need to take it!~

grand07cherokee 01-03-2012 08:20 PM

its the 3.7l idk what tranny, it does it at random times didnt see it at all today, they replace the hydro electric solenoid in the tranny i guess thats the code they said that was coming up and the same code is back even after they replaced it..trans over temp it enver stays steady it will just randomnly blink

BarbNeb 01-24-2013 06:21 PM

I had the trans over temp light come on at start up 3 times yesterday. Wasn't driving - just starting my 2004 Jeep. After the message appeared the first time, I turned it on 2 more times. The same trans over temp light appeared but the car didn't want to start at first turn of the switch. This is very unusual for my Jeep. Had car towed to shop. They tested it on their machine and said nothing shows up. Any thoughts for me to ask the service man to check tomorrow?

dr.lee.baugh 01-24-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarbNeb (Post 746985)
I had the trans over temp light come on at start up 3 times yesterday. Wasn't driving - just starting my 2004 Jeep. After the message appeared the first time, I turned it on 2 more times. The same trans over temp light appeared but the car didn't want to start at first turn of the switch. This is very unusual for my Jeep. Had car towed to shop. They tested it on their machine and said nothing shows up. Any thoughts for me to ask the service man to check tomorrow?

How old is your battery? When starting to go, they can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins and lights. Add in your hard start and it seems like the battery is a likely culprit.

BarbNeb 01-24-2013 09:32 PM

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Battery is about 2 years old - maybe less. First battery had tendency to corrode. I forgot to mention that the CHECK GAGES light also came on as well as TRANS OVER TEMP. I had not been driving at all - just started the vehicle inside the garage after it had been sitting for a day and night. Been researching online for others with same 2 lights on - many referred to the starter/corrosion around a starter connection/or needing harness replaced around a starter. One said she needed a new battery. I'm afraid to drive it even though the check at the dealership showed no problems.

It was a little hard to start when I tried the 2nd and 3rd times. People online said their cars wouldn't start period and would die on them on the road when these lights were on but mostly they just wouldn't start. I'm a widow and need all the help I can get on this forum so I can ask dealership to check. Thanks for your input!!!

Frango100 01-24-2013 10:43 PM

I presume it being a 2004 model, that it is a WJ jeep? 4.0 or 4.7 engine?
Some people have problems with corroded battery cables, just from the terminal(s) up. You canīt see it, because the insulation is in the way. The insulation has to be removed a bit to discover this corrosion.
Never heard anything related to this with a transmission overheat light though, but low voltage (caused by the resistance of the corrosion) can cause strange things. According the manual the " check gauges" light comes for low/high voltage, low oil pressure or high engine coolant temperature. It doesnīt mention anything about trans overtemp.

Frango100 01-24-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grand07cherokee (Post 544087)
im getting a trans over temp light blinking, no check engines light and this light also doesnt happen all the time it randomnly blinks, i took it to the dealership they replaced the hydro electric valve in the transmission and i didnt see the light again for a week well now i just happen to see it yesterday blink a few times, i got no clue it sounds like this could be a electrical issue, anyone have any ideas??

sorry im new to this who jeep thing just purchased it..

They probably changed the solenoid pack, since the temperature sensor is inside there. (at least if you have the 5-45RFE tranny.
Light blinking would me do believe that there is a shaved wiring, making contact now and then.

fcdd25 01-27-2013 05:48 PM

I've been having the same problem since June 2010 on my '06 GC 4.7L. Trans always shifts fine. Couldn't find answers by asking dealers or local shops or surfing web. Bought an infrared thermometer and for awhile when light came on I pulled over and shot the ray at tranny pan. Temp was always at 180 degrees (give or take a few) which is spec.

Realized this is just another of the many electrical glitches our Jeeps have and decided not to worry about it any more. Have driven about 35-40000 miles since first incident and tranny is fine. If I ever find an answer I will post it. In the meantime make sure your fluid is always full and only use ATF+4 and don't lose sleep over it.