Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   How do I turn A/C compressor off (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/how-do-i-turn-a-c-compressor-off-33400.html)

dxrdxr 01-02-2012 08:03 PM

How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
I have a new 2012 Overland V8. I am new to Chrysler A/C controls. According to the owners manual there is really no way to disable the A/C compressor. I see there is a dedicated button for A/C but according the the manual the below appears

"If the system is in Mix, Floor or Defrost Mode, the A/C can be turned off, but the A/C system shall remain active to prevent fogging of the windows."

How can I assure the A/C compressor is not active for cold weather us?
Thanks

Suther 01-02-2012 09:18 PM

First of all, no definite answer but my previous experience and knowledge is that the compressor stays off if the temperature is below a certain degree (on my Passat it was 5 degrees Celsius). That prevents the ice buildup in the condenser. With that there is really no need to switch the compressor off. In contrary if it is too long off there is no circulation in the hoses which is necessary circulate the oil and prevent diffusion of the r134.

Hope that helped.
Alex

PECo 01-02-2012 09:31 PM

Re: How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
dxrdxr - Why would you want to disable the A/C compressor in any car? The reason it stays on during cold weather is to dehumidify the air, which helps prevent condensation on the inside of the windows.

dxrdxr 01-02-2012 10:14 PM

Re: How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
Mainly gas mileage and power. But another way of asking the question would be what is the A/C button for if it does not deactivate the compressor at least in some airflow mode. Thanks for the feedback

IndyBob 01-03-2012 05:17 AM

Re: How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dxrdxr (Post 544461)
Mainly gas mileage and power. But another way of asking the question would be what is the A/C button for if it does not deactivate the compressor at least in some airflow mode. Thanks for the feedback

I may be wrong but if you are NOT in Auto mode for the climate control then the AC button will control the compressor. If you are in Auto mode then the system controls the compressor. At least that is the way it seems to work on my 2011.

hammer1234 01-03-2012 07:12 AM

Re: How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
I have had some cases where the windows fog in auto temp mode...would this be normal? I usually change to a mode where the front defrosters are active and it goes away...but I thought that the A/C would always run in auto mode.

peckmv 01-03-2012 08:43 AM

Re: How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suther (Post 544426)
First of all, no definite answer but my previous experience and knowledge is that the compressor stays off if the temperature is below a certain degree (on my Passat it was 5 degrees Celsius). That prevents the ice buildup in the condenser. With that there is really no need to switch the compressor off. In contrary if it is too long off there is no circulation in the hoses which is necessary circulate the oil and prevent diffusion of the r134.

Hope that helped.
Alex

I fail to see how ice would build up in the condenser. There should be no moisture in the system at all. The condenser has hot gasses run through it so it can condense those gases to a liquid. It is adventagous to have the compressor run occasionally during the winter months so the seals in the compressor can remain flexable and the valves can be exercised. This helps the compressor life. Oil migrating through the system is the way its designed. Oil tends to migrate towards the hot side of the system and is inherant on lubricating the compressor. If you have icing then you have a problem that should be looked into.

ekaz 01-03-2012 09:28 AM

Re: How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dxrdxr (Post 544461)
Mainly gas mileage and power. But another way of asking the question would be what is the A/C button for if it does not deactivate the compressor at least in some airflow mode. Thanks for the feedback

The system only cycles the compressor when necessary, it's not constantly running, its on a clutch that will engage and disengage as needed. Also, if you floor it, the compressor is shut off to maximize power.

Suther 01-03-2012 09:48 AM

Re: How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 544601)
I fail to see how ice would build up in the condenser. There should be no moisture in the system at all. The condenser has hot gasses run through it so it can condense those gases to a liquid. It is adventagous to have the compressor run occasionally during the winter months so the seals in the compressor can remain flexable and the valves can be exercised. This helps the compressor life. Oil migrating through the system is the way its designed. Oil tends to migrate towards the hot side of the system and is inherant on lubricating the compressor. If you have icing then you have a problem that should be looked into.

Thanks for the clarification, you are right; I ment the evaporator (which condenses the moisture of the air, that was my trap) that cools down the incoming air. If the compressor would run in too cold air, there would be ice buildup on the evaporator. I had the once due to a defect (my Passat).
The oil circulation in the system is also helpful for the hoses and all seals, not only for the compressor to prevent them to dry-out and get brittle.
Anyway, it is useful and prevents damage to run the A/C in wintertime, once in a while.

Concerning the A/C button, that switches the compressor of but if you use 'Defrost', 'Mix' or 'Floor' the compressor gets switched on even if the A/C button is not lit and your not int Auto mode. I think that should prevent foggy windscreens. (page 407 of the owner's manual)

Best Regards
Alex

PECo 01-03-2012 10:37 AM

Re: How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
Pages 412 and 626 of the Jeep 2012 Grand Cherokee Owner's Manual state, in pertinent part:
Quote:

Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of
service (i.e. vacation) for two weeks or more, run the
air conditioning system at idle for about five minutes
in the fresh air and high blower setting. This will
ensure adequate system lubrication to minimize the
possibility of compressor damage when the system is
started again.

So, yes, the A/C compressor must be run to maintain adequate system lubrication.

The answer to the question at hand, though, is, yes, you can turn the A/C compressor off simply by hitting the A/C button whenever it's illuminated. Although the A/C is automatically engaged with certain Mode Control selections, page 404 of the Manual states, in pertinent part:
Quote:

The A/C can be deselected manually without disturbing the mode control selection.

In addition, page 405 of the Manual states, in pertinent part:
Quote:

ECONOMY MODE
If economy mode is desired, press the A/C button to turn
OFF the indicator light and the A/C compressor. Then,
move the temperature control to the desired temperature.





peckmv 01-03-2012 03:14 PM

Re: How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suther (Post 544636)
Thanks for the clarification, you are right; I ment the evaporator (which condenses the moisture of the air, that was my trap) that cools down the incoming air. If the compressor would run in too cold air, there would be ice buildup on the evaporator. I had the once due to a defect (my Passat).
The oil circulation in the system is also helpful for the hoses and all seals, not only for the compressor to prevent them to dry-out and get brittle.
Anyway, it is useful and prevents damage to run the A/C in wintertime, once in a while.

Concerning the A/C button, that switches the compressor of but if you use 'Defrost', 'Mix' or 'Floor' the compressor gets switched on even if the A/C button is not lit and your not int Auto mode. I think that should prevent foggy windscreens. (page 407 of the owner's manual)

Best Regards
Alex

You are correct. The defrost engages the AC which is how the compressor gets exercised during the winter months and it also keeps the windows clear.

dxrdxr 01-08-2012 11:15 AM

Re: How do I turn A/C compressor off
 
Thanks for all the feedback. I had the original question of how to switch off the compressor. Just so I am clear if you use basically any mode the A/C compressor is on and you can turn it off by turning off the A/C switch. I may have a problem with mine as the A/C switch or button does not come on when I use any mode. I always have to select it manually. But the compressor always seems to be active regardless if the A/C light is on or off. Thanks


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community