Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   What Else did you Look at? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/what-else-did-you-look-at-33404.html)

CaptRB 01-02-2012 08:34 PM

What Else did you Look at?

I'm the same fellow who posted about being afraid of buying a Overland Summit and thanks for the helpful comments!

My next question is this: What else did you consider that really competes with the Cherokee? I have a deep snow issue here in upstate NY and that knocks off most of the SUV's I might have considered. So have I missed something? is there other SUV's besides the Cherokee, Land Rover and Toyota Landcruiser that can truly hack it the way the Cherokee can? It seems with the new air suspension that the Cherokee may be even better than the Landcruiser in the snow.

Still, if I'm spending 45-50K, is there a SUV I've overlooked that can truly go head-to-head? BTW, I live in Carmel/Kent Cliffs in NY, almost 1000 feet above sea level. Two days before halloween we got 23 inches of snow. It crippled our crossovers and Subaru, but our neighbors Cherokee was fine!

Thanks again...great forum!

Robert B
NY

Corp Cog 01-02-2012 09:28 PM

Re: What Else did you Look at?

The only real competition I had considered and almost picked was the Touareg TDI. The problem was the price. VW raised the price for the 12's and when compared to the JGC, the value clearly rested with the Jeep.

Jeeters 01-02-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptRB (Post 544390)
is there other SUV's besides the Cherokee, Land Rover and Toyota Landcruiser that can truly hack it the way the Cherokee can?

Nissan Xterra and Jeep's own Liberty come to mine. Neither are anywhere near luxury level, but both are extremely capable. Maybe the FJ Cruiser, too?

I traded in a Liberty for my WK2. I'd have loved to have held out to see what the new 2013 Liberty will be like, but my severely aging Liberty had other ideas. I love my WK2, but I do miss the "nimbleness" of my Liberty. And I already know there are some tight places I could take that smaller Liberty where the longer and especially bulkier WK2 will be problematic.

Oh, I've also heard the Lexus GX is pretty capable, but I think it's based on the Landcruiser (?), so I guess probably no real surprise.

BrilliantBlack 01-02-2012 09:54 PM

Don't flame me but most publications rate the new Ford Explo(d)er pretty highly. We didn't look at it though, we checked out the MDX, RX350, X5, Q5, and the Caymen. We were most concerned with luxury for the dollar, not off road prowess, in this case the GC's capabilities are a just a huge plus. In Chicago snow is a big factor as well, we got a few feet one night this past February haha.

Richpearl 01-02-2012 10:08 PM

I bet BB looked at the Cayenne (not the Cayman). And the Lex GX is a lexified 4runner, not a Land Cruiser (which is an LX). I'd think it would be reasonable to look at the FJ and 4runner for snow, but to me the GC is a lot better value for the money.

Rich

Mendo 01-03-2012 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richpearl (Post 544453)
I bet BB looked at the Cayenne (not the Cayman). And the Lex GX is a lexified 4runner, not a Land Cruiser (which is an LX). I'd think it would be reasonable to look at the FJ and 4runner for snow, but to me the GC is a lot better value for the money.

Rich

The 4runner is an SUV version of the Tacoma. The GX is a lexified Toyota Landcruiser Prado. It is a very capable vehicle. We sold the toyota version to buy the JGC.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/52667/to...iew-road-test/

The jeep is smaller inside and has less seats (5 seat vs 7) we are very happy with the jeep. It is certainly as capable especially with QL as it's clearance is better. I also believe the LX had a recall about the ESC in the US. Unless you need the interior cargo space the Jeep is a better vehicle than the LX IMO. Certainly from a value perspective as well. Good luck.

JoePistone 01-03-2012 06:01 AM

If you raise the suspension, the FJ cruiser is not a bad choice for snow. Though, I think it's ugly as heck. Subjective. Don't know much about it but I got some friends who now live in finland who swear by the FJ and always have pics of them on FB in the snow.

JGC is great in snow. I think the Nissan Pathfinder or Xterra can probably compete but I doubt are as good as the JGC. If you're talking deep snow I doubt the Ford explorer should be considered.

I'm not 100% sure because I don't drive in snow (we don't get snow in Kuwait) but considering soft sand driving the land cruiser is one of the best! JGC/Wrangler are kick ass too. Range Rovers can take snow like a beast but are generally unreliable. I think JEEP are pretty much the best all round offroaders. JGC is able to mash off road capability with luxury at affordable prices. That's what made me go for the JGC Overland (amongst other reasons).

peckmv 01-03-2012 06:18 AM

I looked at the 4runner, Explorer, Envoy, Durango, and Grand Cherokee. The biggest factor was the lack of a V8 offering by the competition. The Durango didn't have a true 4x4 system and the rest didn't offer a V8. So it was Jeep. I also looked at full sized but everything had a third seat, which I didn't want. They didn't offer the third seat as an option so they got crossed off the list. The deciding factors were a V8 option, no third seat, Quadradrive 4x4 system, MDS system, 6 speed trans, and the luxury offerings. So far, I'm happy with my decision.

gwnewman1 01-03-2012 11:37 AM

We looked at the 4-Runner and the older Explorers...didn't even bother with the Explorer since its a PITA to get an 8cyl in a used one. The 4-Runners were nice, but I don't like the new bodystyle so it would have meant an older one and I didn't like what I was finding. The JGC was far more comfortable and I trust a Jeeps 4x4 or AWD far more than Toyota (I do have a Camry as well, so nothing against them). Price wise, there wasn't a big enough difference to justify the Toyota.

Richpearl 01-03-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mendo (Post 544566)
The 4runner is an SUV version of the Tacoma. The GX is a lexified Toyota Landcruiser Prado. It is a very capable vehicle. We sold the toyota version to buy the JGC.

I think the Australian models and the USA models of Toyota/Lexus models differ. In the USA, the GX is a lexified 4runner, while the LX is a lexified Land Cruiser. There is no Prado model in the USA.

Rich

bmrisko 01-03-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corp Cog (Post 544433)
The only real competition I had considered and almost picked was the Touareg TDI. The problem was the price. VW raised the price for the 12's and when compared to the JGC, the value clearly rested with the Jeep.

x2...In addition to the VW, we also briefly considered the Q5/7, but the Q5 felt much smaller in person than we anticipated and the Q7 was priced way out there.

MikeD 01-03-2012 01:17 PM

I sold my SRT8 Jeep and a Toyota FJ that was lifted 3" and there is no comparison in the snow, my FJ did much better, probably due to the all terrain tires. Overall I regret getting rid of those 2 vehicles for my Overland and am trading it in within the next two months and getting a truck. I still think the Jeep is a good vehicle but a lot of small issues and lack of power at 6500 ft above sea level made me decide to move on.