Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Bisteins installed with SRT bars (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/bisteins-installed-with-srt-bars-33508.html)

dmsfun 01-04-2012 03:22 PM

Bisteins installed with SRT bars

Noticed clunks from the front end and sure enough, the stock shocks were both broken, leaking oil. Just put in the WK Bilsteins and combined with the SRT front and rear bars, it's quite a bit of an improvement, as everyone points out. A bit stiff over rough roads, the norm here in Chitown, but worth the added control, .. glad I did not opt for the lowering springs.

ny450es 01-05-2012 07:54 AM

Re: Bisteins installed with SRT bars

the bilstein hd's are a great upgrade from stock but still are bouncy. i really don't care for them anymore but am stuck with them because the only other option i'm aware of is to lower the truck and install the srt bilsteins. i guess you had as much luck as i to get koni to sell the fsd's in the US. i have a friend who moved to england and was going to ask him if he could order them but the shipping cost would probably be astronomical.

jeepgcoman 01-05-2012 04:09 PM

Dmsfun, that was probably a wise choice. Although I don't regret putting the same setup, with lowering springs on mine, I wouldn't be inclined to do it if we got the kind of snow you guys normally get. I've only bottomed out about 3 times on bumps or driveways, and I am usually pretty watchful for these "pitfalls". You're definitely right about a little harsher ride but, as you said, the improvement of control and handling make it well worth it, IMO. Only thing I really miss is the ability to go wheeling anymore. Would be nice to have another one set up for off roading. All it takes is money......that I don't have.

ech0sh4y 01-11-2012 01:56 AM

Did you notice a major improvement with srt sways or was it the bilstiens?

dmsfun 01-11-2012 10:48 AM

Both. The Bilsteins are a lot firmer than OEM, and the SRT bars keep things much leveler and tighter. I would not install the WK Bilsteins without the SRT bars; the bouncng around would be too much, with our crappy roads.

ech0sh4y 01-11-2012 06:42 PM

So in order to install SRT bars you need the SRT bar, SRT bar bushing, and SRT bar bushing mount correct? What about end links? This is front and rear as well?

dmsfun 01-12-2012 09:51 AM

I have both SRT bars and new endlinks; see the WK suspension sticky for details on what you need as far as brackets, bushings, etc..as it depends upone what year WK you have. My early 2006 had the old front mounts and needed the newer OEM ones.

dmsfun 01-26-2012 04:08 PM

Impressions after a 600 mile road trip on the Bilsteins and SRT bars. THe ride feels elevated and much more controlled, as the winds were 50 mph gusting, but I would not call it a smooth ride at all. Overall, I am dissapointed, but I have never been a fan of thier HD gas shiocks, as the rebound control is very poor. The other choices are limited, and I could not wait on Koni US to get thier act together after waiting a year. I wanted the FSD's which they never returned messages about, which would certainly give a smoother and more controlled ride, much more so than the Bilsteins.

Scottina06 01-26-2012 05:35 PM

thats why i went to the SRt Bilsteins...I didnt care for the Bilsteins HD's at all.

dmsfun 01-27-2012 08:48 AM

How smooth do the SRT Bilsteins ride in comparison to the HD's, like over bad roads ?