Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Waterfording (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/waterfording-33539.html)

rustyosaurus 01-05-2012 12:44 AM

Waterfording

The Jeep site says that the trail rated JGC features additional electrical and body sealing, along with a high air intake for optimum water fording+ capability. It says it can go through 19-30 inches of water, depending.

How many inches of water can you safely go through with a *non-trail-rated* jeep?

Just thought it would be good to know in case I'm ever in a place where I can't go around water.

Skremese 01-05-2012 02:09 AM

Re: Waterfording

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyosaurus (Post 545766)
The Jeep site says that the trail rated JGC features additional electrical and body sealing, along with a high air intake for optimum water fording+ capability.

Interesting.

Where did you see these details? I'd like to know what they specifically change wrt elec and body sealing.

rustyosaurus 01-05-2012 02:23 AM

http://www.jeep.com/en/jeep_capabilities/trail_rated/

rockrash 01-05-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyosaurus (Post 545828)

Cool thanks

windycityjeep 01-05-2012 08:00 PM

I thought every jeep 4x4 was trail rated?

Mmartin 01-05-2012 08:38 PM

For a jeep to be trail rated it must have a 2 speed transfer case. In the grand Cherokee the quadra trac II or quadra drive II systems will get you trail rated. That being said your jeep can theroretically ford the same amount of water since all your missing is a transfer case with 4 low.

ColdCase 01-05-2012 09:48 PM

Beside the basic fording depth, departure angles, and being 4x4, I don't think there are hard and fast rules to the trail rating badge. It is sometimes a mystery (and fruit for much discussion here). You could think of it more of a marketing label perhaps, although all jeeps with trail rating are suppose to have driven the rubicon without issue. The only thing that sets apart a trail rated badged WK2s from others seems to be tow hooks and skid plates. Perhaps also the two speed transfer case.

rustyosaurus 01-05-2012 09:53 PM

back to my initial question - how many inches of water can a non-trail-rated 4WD safely go through, given that according to the Jeep site, it doesn't have the additional sealing against water or whatever else.

smcoverland 01-05-2012 10:08 PM

From the Manual:

Driving Through Water
Although your vehicle is capable of driving through water, there are a number of precautions that must be considered before entering the water.
NOTE: Your vehicle is capable of water fording in up to 20 inches (51 cm) of water, while crossing small rivers or streams. To maintain optimal performance of your vehi- cle’s heating and ventilation system it is recommended to switch the system into recirculation mode during water fording.
CAUTION!
When driving through water, do not exceed 5 mph (8 km/h). Always check water depth before entering, as a precaution, and check all fluids afterward. Driv- ing through water may cause damage that may not be covered by the new vehicle limited warranty.
STARTING AND OPERATING 369
Driving through water more than a few inches/ centimeters deep will require extra caution to ensure safety and prevent damage to your vehicle. If you must drive through water, try to determine the depth and the bottom condition (and location of any obstacles) prior to entering. Proceed with caution and maintain a steady controlled speed less than 5 mph (8 km/h) in deep water to minimize wave effects.
Flowing Water
If the water is swift flowing and rising (as in storm run-off), avoid crossing until the water level recedes and/or the flow rate is reduced. If you must cross flowing water avoid depths in excess of 9 inches (23 cm). The flowing water can erode the streambed, causing your vehicle to sink into deeper water. Determine exit point(s) that are downstream of your entry point to allow for drifting.
370 STARTING AND OPERATING
Standing Water
Avoid driving in standing water deeper than 20 inches (51 cm), and reduce speed appropriately to minimize wave effects. Maximum speed in 20 inches (51 cm) of water is less than 5 mph (8 km/h).

phisch 01-05-2012 10:26 PM

I did this down in Kentucky last summer. Probably about 8" at the deepest point. Started slow then went though 15-20mph at least by the time I made it to the other side. Absolutely zero problems. Did spray some water pretty high on the sides towards the end when I sped up which was pretty cool to see. I do have that special badge, though. Laredo X 5.7.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...h/10043305.jpg

Scottina06 01-05-2012 10:35 PM

Ahhhhh.....my old Kentucky home!

sent from my HTC EVO

JeepGuy026 01-05-2012 10:55 PM

That's an awesome pic!