Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   lift / tire question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/lift-tire-question-33559.html)

mizman 01-05-2012 01:55 PM

lift / tire question

I'd like to get some thoughts on my build. After reading many posts on lifts and tires, I'm still not sure on a couple of things. I'm going to install a RC 2" lift with bilstein shocks. Probably going with General Grabber At2 265/70/17 tires on the stock rims. 1, Will I need to do the pinch weld mod? 2, Will Spidertrax 1 1/2" spacers affect whether or not I'd have to do the pinch weld mod? 3, will I have to cut the uca bolt in either case? And 4, Could I eliminate any of these issues if I go with a 265/65 or 255/65 tire? Thanks for any input!

MattyDipps 01-05-2012 03:37 PM

Re: lift / tire question

the recommended tire size for the rc lift is 265/70/17... i think youll be fine running a 265/70/17 with a spacer with out a pw mod or a bolt cut. i think budasac's running a 265/70/17 with a spacer and no problems.... it really depends on the aggressiveness of the tire and thread

antsjeep 01-06-2012 11:37 AM

im running the exact setup you have (minus the rims) but i had my stock sextants on for a few weeks.

to answer your questions:

1) You don't have to do the pinch weld mod, but I would advise you to. Your only going to rub the PW when making hard turns. You will see that you can only turn the wheel 1/2 way before you will hear rubbing. As of now i did the PW mod and have ZERO rubbing issues.

2) The spacers will play no role in whether or not you need to do the PW mod. Its the size of the tire that is causing the rub.

3) No you will NOT have to cut the bolt if you run spacers. Without spacers i cannot comment on because i never tried fitting them.

4) The difference between a 265 and 255 tire width wise is very minimal depending on brand, etc... I would wait and let other people chime in on the tire sizes.

Hope this all helps!

mizman 01-06-2012 05:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. Where did you get the 1.25" spacers? I was planning on getting the spidertrax, but they only list a 1.5" spacer on their website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antsjeep (Post 546832)
im running the exact setup you have (minus the rims) but i had my stock sextants on for a few weeks.

to answer your questions:

1) You don't have to do the pinch weld mod, but I would advise you to. Your only going to rub the PW when making hard turns. You will see that you can only turn the wheel 1/2 way before you will hear rubbing. As of now i did the PW mod and have ZERO rubbing issues.

2) The spacers will play no role in whether or not you need to do the PW mod. Its the size of the tire that is causing the rub.

3) No you will NOT have to cut the bolt if you run spacers. Without spacers i cannot comment on because i never tried fitting them.

4) The difference between a 265 and 255 tire width wise is very minimal depending on brand, etc... I would wait and let other people chime in on the tire sizes.

Hope this all helps!

antsjeep 01-09-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizman (Post 547046)
Thanks for the advice. Where did you get the 1.25" spacers? I was planning on getting the spidertrax, but they only list a 1.5" spacer on their website.

Ebay... from CJBargins. Think they were like $90 shipped for 4.