Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Low oil pressure, changed sending unit, what next? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/low-oil-pressure-changed-sending-unit-what-next-33573.html)

kavik 01-05-2012 05:48 PM

Low oil pressure, changed sending unit, what next?

Oil pressure drops to zero, thought it may be sending unit so I replaced it. Still at 0 in idle, 20 in use... oil level on low end of safe zone but good.

Worried it may be the pump...

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

2005JGC 01-05-2012 10:28 PM

Re: Low oil pressure, changed sending unit, what next?

We need some more info... is this on a pinto?

Btw, reguardless of my smartass comment, welcome to the forum!

kavik 01-06-2012 07:05 AM

Sorry 2000 Cherokee Sport I6. Just bought it and within 50 miles, oil pressure drops to 0, speedometer and odometer completely stop. I'm pretty sure the speed sensor needs replaced, ordered one, also went to auto zone and bought a new oil pressure sensor (or is it a sending unit?). Now its reading 0 at idle and 20 when driving....

Also took to Walmart to get front tires replaced- got an oil change too since I was there; the techs, fwiw, said I had low pressure and leaks. I knew about the low pressure but I have checked for leaks and didn't see any.

I'm worried that I'm taking the oil pressure lightly and may seize the engine.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Frango100 01-06-2012 08:54 AM

Is the engine making any abnormal mechanical noise, which would lead to believe the oil pressure to be low?
I donīt know the cherokee instrument cluster, but if its more or less the same as on the WJ, its completely electronic. Can you do an instrument self test as on the WJ (with ignition switch off, press the odometer button and switch ignition on).
Is the pressure indicator going to full scale and then return to 0?
If this doesnīt apply on the cherokee, i canīt help any further.

kavik 01-06-2012 02:07 PM

Yes, I performed the self test and all guages went up and returned to 0... also a bit of a mechanical sound I'm worried about.

If it is a bad oil pump, I'd replace it, would it be in the oil pan?

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

Frango100 01-06-2012 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attached page from WJ manual, but the 4.0 engine should be the same. Did they replace the oilfilter together with the oil, just to be sure that this is not causing a restriction in the flow/pressure?

kavik 01-06-2012 03:34 PM

Thank You!

Semper Fi!

kavik 01-07-2012 08:02 PM

They did replace the filter, used a FRAM. I read they have caused low pressure issues, don't know how true that is.

Semper Fi!

2005JGC 01-07-2012 11:32 PM

My suggestion would be to have a mechanical pressure test performed, If you have low oil pressure you have a failing oil pump or worn engine internals. You did say there was some noise from the engine right... did I read your statement correctly?

jwernatl 03-12-2012 08:39 PM

Sounds like to me your bearings are shot. That suscks too. There is nothing you can do except buy another engine. Dont let somebody tell you "I'll go in and just replace the bearings, yea, It's an easy fix" Negative it's not. There are bad bad people in this world and that's that.

JK's 04 WJ 4.7 03-19-2012 09:32 PM

If you got a ticking its probably a chrysler or excuse me a jeep oil pump problem, if its a clunking that would be a bearing and you be better with finding a motor ive done both for an I6. And be religous about changing your oil in that I6! :thumbsup: