Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Buying 5/6 speed a mistake? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/buying-5-6-speed-a-mistake-33633.html)

CaptRB 01-06-2012 05:57 PM

Buying 5/6 speed a mistake?

With all of the chatter about the new and excellent 8 speed tranny coming to both of the Cherokee engines I'm wondering if buying a 2012 would be a moderate-sized mistake.

For:
1) The 8 speed should add performance to either engine.
2) It will also improve fuel economy and probably allow lower revs at high speed.
3) The 8 speed Cherokees will murder resale on the 2011-2012 models.

Against:
1) Buyers will have to wait 6 months at best. It's unlikely that the 8 speed will actually show up before next fall. Then again....
2) Is this 8 speed going to have some bugs and jitters to start? That's always a worry.
3) There seems to be some who feel the 5 speed (I've read that the 6 speed in the Hemi is really the same old 5 speed) is still going to be more rugged and dependable.

So...what am I missing? How long or short of a wait are we looking at? I was planning to buy in the spring, but now I'm thinking I'd be smarter to wait. Then again, my Outlander is going to need 2K in suspension, timing belt and tires in the spring! Ouch.

Robert B
NY

rockrash 01-06-2012 06:15 PM

Re: Buying 5/6 speed a mistake?

Hang in there a lots happening on the 2013 model Diesel,8 speed VF transmission. I myself included. I will be waiting for news so i can order in June 2012.

Jeep_addicted 01-06-2012 06:24 PM

I think you have covered most of the pros and cons

I would like to highlight the fact that the tranny on the Hemi and the Pentastar are not the same

The 5 speed used on the pentastar gears are spaced better and are more driveable than having the 5/6 tranny that comes with the Hemi option

Also I suspect that just like on the charger and 300 the V6 models will get the 8 speed first. We have not seen any media coverage on the JGC equipped with the 8 speed as yet, so until I see a media test I am starting to think that any JGC equipped with an 8 speed may not show up until the 2014 Model Year. Because the shift gate and gear selector are different their will also be some minor retooling on the JGC, which will also cause modification of the tranny harness so it is making the appearance of the 8 speed look a little farer off in the future.

Remember all the retooling of the tranny plant was only mentioned recently so whatever 8 speed is installed in any chrsyler most likely was an imported tranny until US production gets up to speed.

jacobsed 01-06-2012 11:42 PM

I'm waiting to see how the 8 speed and diesel shake out. Very exciting options and I would hate missing out on them. You'll need to do the work on your Outlander to sell it anyway. So enjoy it and wait a while for the GC options.

Roki303 01-06-2012 11:56 PM

Posted this in another thread:

"Jeep Grand Cherokee continues with few changes in standard and SRT8 form; an eight speed automatic arrives late in the model year as Kokomo starts cranking them out (it might be held off until the 2014s)."

Source: http://www.allpar.com/cars/chrysler/2013/

I don't think the 8-speed will be available in June. Probably more likely a year from now (early 2013) if not in MY2014. Also makes me wonder about reliability of the new 8-speed. I know that the design has been tested in various other cars but still they are building this new transmission at the new plant and putting it into a brand new vehicle. I can almost guarantee that there will be issues initially. You might want to wait until MY2014 anyway so they can work out all the production bugs.

moosehead 01-07-2012 12:13 AM

IME, the 5/6 speed works really well with the Hemi. The 8 speed may or may not be more effective for the V8. YMMV.

JTS97Z28 01-07-2012 11:13 AM

If the diesel in 2013 has the 5/6 speed its already going to be very good on fuel. I think mixed city/hwy its rated at 28.6mpg and 32.8 hwy. With those numbers I would have no problem buying the diesel with the already proven 5/6 speed trannies :-)

jacobsed 01-07-2012 12:47 PM

Are those actual numbers they get with the JGC diesel? If so that is fantastic.

Mendo 01-07-2012 03:27 PM

Hi Robert.

You have certainly done a lot of research on this vehicle. It seems like you have now settled on a JGC over the competition based on the information and features available at the time. IMO The JGC has all the technology and features I want out of a vehicle during the time I intend to own it. There will always be improvements (more gears, LED's etc) as opposed to advances (ESC, rollover mitigation, Bluetooth, etc) and resale will always go down. I don't foresee any major technological enhancements making this vehicle redundant to me, so I bought one. You should too!

Good luck with the decision making!

Breitling65 01-07-2012 09:33 PM

I only hope they finally will make tranny that will not jerk and shifts erratically as now, I don't care it is 5 or 8 :) Otherwise I will try another car brand my next lease cycle....

JTS97Z28 01-07-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsed (Post 547605)
Are those actual numbers they get with the JGC diesel? If so that is fantastic.

I believe so. I got my numbers from wk2jeeps.com then converted them to U.S. mpg since they were all in KM and liters. But yes thats what it came out to be. Its like 22.5 city, 28.6 mixed, and almost 33 hwy. Very impressive numbers and worlds beyond the both the V6 and V8.

jeepster23 01-07-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 547919)
I believe so. I got my numbers from wk2jeeps.com then converted them to U.S. mpg since they were all in KM and liters. But yes thats what it came out to be. Its like 22.5 city, 28.6 mixed, and almost 33 hwy. Very impressive numbers and worlds beyond the both the V6 and V8.

However they are using the imperial gallon as opposed to the us gallon so that will skew the numbers .

1 us gallon= .83 imperial gallon