Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Engine light on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/engine-light-on-33637.html)

Canyon Dancer 01-06-2012 07:18 PM

Engine light on

My engine light came on for a period of time and then off over a couple of days. Mileage dropped to 12 mpg at the same time. Today I took it into the dealer. They said they needed to pull the manifold off to check for bad plugs. Okay, seems like a difficult situation to just check the plugs. Later today, I called to check on the progress and they told me they needed to pull the head and would be keeping the car over the weekend. This car has 21,000 miles on it, is the 6 cylinder and has had perfect care. No hard driving. Why would they need to do such drastic wrenching on a new, or nearly new, Jeep? I'm very worried about what seems like pretty extreme issues. Anybody that can help calm me down!! Of course, there is no loaner available and being a Realtor, I'm out of business unless I pay to rent a loaner........I bought a new car so I wouldn't have this issue!! Help!!

Chrissrt10 01-06-2012 08:16 PM

Re: Engine light on

Don't pay them for anything other than what you and the mechanic talked about first. They are gonna charge you out the rear. MOST of jeep mechanics are thieves. Just saying, if any are on these forums, don't take it personally, I said most

thall 01-06-2012 08:35 PM

Warranty??

think there was a tsb on head replacement?

AAAA 01-06-2012 08:54 PM

I am sure it is warranty. I have not read about anything similar that I can remember on this forum. Keep us posted as those of us with the 6 are concerned.

Canyon Dancer 01-09-2012 05:39 PM

Update: Monday
They said they have to send the head into Chrysler and that it needs to be replaced. They said a valve was "leaking". Without my car now for week.

Canyon Dancer 01-17-2012 11:58 AM

Tuesday, Jan 17th: Still waiting for shop to call with status. Checked 4 days ago and they said they still had not gotten the new head from Chrysler. :sleepy: :violin:

Wadohh 02-01-2012 01:33 PM

My 11 GC V6 is in the shop right now for a head replacement. It has 31k miles on it. Did you get yours back yet? Mine has been at the dealer for a week now. Best part is I just purchased it preowned 2 weeks ago. I have driven it a total of 20 miles since I purchased it. Check engine light came on a few days after I drove it off the lot. It was throwing a cylindar misfire code. Fortunatley the dealer agreed to pay for a rental. Still no ETA on when I will get my Jeep back. I wonder if this is going to be a common problem as the v6s get older?

FlyinRyan 02-01-2012 01:43 PM

Guys, because its a relatively new engine spare parts are tough to come by. I had to wait 2 MONTHS to get a throttle body.

bigpanda 02-01-2012 04:43 PM

I saw a couple of V6s with similar problems. Dealer said engine coolant was leaking.

Canyon Dancer 03-04-2012 07:35 PM

Finally got the car back, sorry this post is sometime later.

New head seems to be okay. It seems they got all the parts back together in the right place. Car runs great, mileage seems to be a little less than before but not out of line with some of the posts listed here between 18 mpg mixed driving and 21/22 mpg on the road. No more complaints. Some minor paint scratches kind of bug me (from the work done) but guess it was bound to get a few scratches just by being in service anyway. Scratches are apparently from the electrical cord draped over the hood.

J13ntv 03-04-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canyon Dancer (Post 586543)
Finally got the car back, sorry this post is sometime later.

New head seems to be okay. It seems they got all the parts back together in the right place. Car runs great, mileage seems to be a little less than before but not out of line with some of the posts listed here between 18 mpg mixed driving and 21/22 mpg on the road. No more complaints. Some minor paint scratches kind of bug me (from the work done) but guess it was bound to get a few scratches just by being in service anyway. Scratches are apparently from the electrical cord draped over the hood.

Glad to hear its fixed. Are they scratches or clear coat scuff? It sounds like a little polish might get it out if its not a scratch into the paint. Go have them fix that too, they caused it?!