Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/to-trade-or-not-need-opinions-asap-33649.html)

JDrew 01-06-2012 11:16 PM

To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
I bought my 2012 GC the day after Thanksgiving. I was upside down on my trade, so I had to carry over some to the Jeep. It is a Laredo with the "E" Group and Security and Convenience Group. It has 1900 miles on it as of now and only had 9 when I picked it up. It's also a QT1 vehicle.

I added the following:

430N RHB
Park View Assist Back-Up Camera
MOPAR Tow Package (Included in deal)
MOPAR Tow Hooks
Window Tint to Front Windows
18" Polished Wheels (dealer trade)
Falken Rocky Mountain ATS (265/60/18) (Will be taking these wheels and tires to the other vehicle if I trade.)

On day 2 of ownership, I noticed on the front grill that the chrome was peeling. The dealer replaced it. I also noticed that the headlights had some flicker, like a voltage regulation problem. They located some stored codes, but said they were operating normal.

On day 4, I noticed a 1 inch gouge in the dash trip that was filled with some sort of black putty that rubs off revealing the gouge. Dealer replaced the trim.

On day 35 I noticed that on the front fascia/bumper, just below the passenger side headlamp where the quarter panel and fascia meet that the paint is flaking off. (About the size of a pencil eraser and not from a rock chip or anything touching it.) Also had them check the headlights again for the flickering problem which is very annoying when driving at night, showed more codes, but again, operating normally they say. They also said to correct the paint problem, the vehicle's fascia will need to be repainted. (duh)

I started getting buyers remorse and it's grown to where it's all I think about. I went back to the dealership to see about getting rid of it because of the silly issues that keep popping up and the headlight deal.

They have a 2011 JGC Limited with 15k on the odometer that I brought home tonight for an overnight test drive. Obviously, this GC has a ton more options and quite frankly is a little nicer. The amenities are plenty and I've gone over it with a fine toothed comb and can't find any flaws as of yet.

With the previous negative equity and my current GC that has negative equity, I will end up paying what this used GC stickered for in 2011. ($40K) The used one was purchased at the same dealership and was owned by an older female that traded it in for a smaller vehicle.

I am pretty decent friends with the owner of the dealership and my wife's cousin is the general manager. I'm paying the exact amount they gave her when she traded it in, plus he's giving me the value on all of the upgrades I performed. We make decent money, so the payment isn't any issue.

I just feel two ways about it. On one hand, I'm not really scared of my new GC, just have some worries about some of this stuff and the headlight deal is bothersome. On the other hand, if I trade, I will be getting much more vehicle and 15k miles really isn't all that many to really concern me since I will cancel my current Max Care and get a new one for this one. And it still smells like new leather and stuff.

My question is, am I a complete moron for wanting to trade out of this one or do you think I'm somewhat justified in wanting to do so? I would like to have a GC with the QT2, which this used one has, but it's not a "deal maker" or breaker.

Some of the options on the used one:
730 RER
Full sunroof
Leather - all heated
Brushed 20's (But will be swapping my 18's with new AT rubber)
Tow Package
Front windows are already tinted to match

jacobsed 01-06-2012 11:51 PM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
How do you have negative equity?

JDrew 01-06-2012 11:54 PM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
Ive only owned this GC a month.

jacobsed 01-06-2012 11:57 PM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
Oh ok, you didn't actually pay for it. Since you don't mind making payments then just do it. I myself would would sell the Jeep for what it would bring and then go pay cash for something I could afford.

JETLIFE 01-07-2012 12:29 AM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsed (Post 547352)
I myself would would sell the Jeep for what it would bring and then go pay cash for something I could afford.

Just because he didn't buy his Jeep outright with cash doesn't mean he can't afford it...

It's extremely easy to create negative equity in a vehicle especially a Grand Cherokee. Also dealerships will convince people with incentives like 0.9% financing if you choose 60+ months, and the result is people thinking they're saving money on interest, when in reality they're just keeping their vehicle longer and in turn depreciating the value of the vehicle quicker than they're paying it off. Resulting in negative equity and them then rolling the difference into the next purchase.

In a perfect world everyone could buy everything with cash. But we don't live in a perfect world.

jacobsed 01-07-2012 12:47 AM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
I disagree, save your money and then pay for it. If you can't do that then does it really make sense to do it the other way around and pay more in the long run?
Especially on something that only depreciates?

I think most people can't accept the fact that they should not be buying an expensive new car and then create fancy justifications to satisfy their childish impulses. Then they end up in a mess that lasts forever when they should have paid $10K (or whatever you have) in cash and been done with it.

I could keep commenting but I'm sure I'll get a nasty gram from the moderator.

SW03ES 01-07-2012 01:08 AM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsed (Post 547352)
Oh ok, you didn't actually pay for it. Since you don't mind making payments then just do it. I myself would would sell the Jeep for what it would bring and then go pay cash for something I could afford.

Dude, get over yourself and quite trolling around on this topic. Do you want to talk about Grand Cherokees or wave your dick around at everybody else?

Enough. Every thread you post in it seems degrades into some innane debate about financing vs paying cash, when that isn't the subject of the thread at all. They do have forums for financial planning and advice, maybe your insight would be appreciated there.

To the OP, you came into the Jeep with negative equity already, trading it now is just going to put you into a worse position, and on a used vehicle where they don't have as much flexibility when it comes to rolling that in.

If I were you I would get the issues dealt with and keep the Jeep you have until you're right side up on it.

jp467 01-07-2012 01:51 AM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsed (Post 547374)
I disagree, save your money and then pay for it. If you can't do that then does it really make sense to do it the other way around and pay more in the long run?
Especially on something that only depreciates?

I think most people can't accept the fact that they should not be buying an expensive new car and then create fancy justifications to satisfy their childish impulses. Then they end up in a mess that lasts forever when they should have paid $10K (or whatever you have) in cash and been done with it.

I could keep commenting but I'm sure I'll get a nasty gram from the moderator.

I don't think its up to you to decide how someone should or should not pay for a new vehicle. When I bought mine I paid for the whole thing just because I didn't want to be deal with making payments each month. But I could also make the case that I might have been able to invest that money somewhere else and made more on it. I don't think anyone has to make fancy justifications for buying an expensive new car. You make sound like this has to be explained to someone for their approval.

Revelation78 01-07-2012 06:21 AM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
JDrew, what is the 2011 worth? Basically how much upside down are you going to be? How often do you trade cars in? (more of a personal question, I know, but trying to help you out with the "mind-set" of this deal)

The deal, from my end, doesn't sound bad. Ignore "other" posters on how you should only pay cash for something... Heaven forbid that some of us still don't live with mommy and daddy and buy everything for us...

JDrew 01-07-2012 06:39 AM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsed (Post 547374)
I disagree, save your money and then pay for it. If you can't do that then does it really make sense to do it the other way around and pay more in the long run?
Especially on something that only depreciates?

I think most people can't accept the fact that they should not be buying an expensive new car and then create fancy justifications to satisfy their childish impulses. Then they end up in a mess that lasts forever when they should have paid $10K (or whatever you have) in cash and been done with it.

I could keep commenting but I'm sure I'll get a nasty gram from the moderator.

Since you seem to have all this money falling out of your kitchen cabinets, why don't you pony up and support the site and get off my nuts.

http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/t.../supporter.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by SW03ES (Post 547385)
Do you want to talk about Grand Cherokees or wave your dick around at everybody else?

I'm sure it's hard to wave something around that's obviously so small he feels the need to show it.


We looked at just trading into a new GC, but there wasn't enough room to to play with the numbers to make it viable. So that option had to be scraped.
Anyway, from the numbers, I'm really only rolling over about an additional 2K negative equity from the current GC to the other one. The big hit was my previous vehicle when I had to roll over quite a bit more. I'n my mind, an additional 2K isn't all that deep compared to piece of mind and the step up in options I will be receiving. I almost kinda feel like I'm in a lose/lose situation, but which of the two are the lesser evil... hahah

moosehead 01-07-2012 09:33 AM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
JD, feels like you may be better off getting the dealer to square away a few relatively minor issues and enjoy the one you got? It's a nice rig already done up with a few good mods. Any luck leaning into them for the lighting fix, the paint should be a non-issue? Hope it works out.

JDrew 01-07-2012 09:40 AM

Re: To Trade or Not? Need opinions ASAP
 
moosehead, I just got back from driving the Limited to breakfast and I'm really starting to lean towards trading. One of the reasons would be the QTII... The more I think about it, I kinda wish I would have gone this route from the start. By the numbers, I'm going to be upside down about the same percentage wise no matter which one I stay with. But with how much their helping me get out of this one, it's really only a matter of buying a more expensive vehicle.

I've got a couple of more hours to decide.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community