Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Resale (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/resale-33655.html)

rustyosaurus 01-07-2012 01:51 AM

Resale

What's the resale like on the JGC? It's one thing I didn't really factor into my decision to buy. This Overland is 15k more than my last SUV, but it's worth it to me for the luxury aspect and I just love the way the JGC looks.

One thing I didn't really think about is the resale though. It would crush me if I went to sell in 7-10 years and my 41k JGC ended up only being worth 25% of the original price. Or should I just expect this? Keep in mind that I drive 8-10,000 miles a year and keep my cars in perfect condition.

I didn't think about that the more you pay for a car, the more you lose in resale. I spent 25k on a Nissan xTerra SE and 5 years later sold it for 11.5k (60,000 miles). Not the best, but sort of okay. I spent 26k on a Hyundai Santa Fe Limited and after five years am planning to trade it in for 15.2k (41,000 miles). Could have gotten 1-2,000 more selling privately. That to me is pretty decent resale value. More than I probably would have expected from a Hyundai.

Not sure why I think this but in my mind, I was thinking Jeep would get a good resale value but maybe that is completely untrue.

Thoughts?

Revelation78 01-07-2012 06:12 AM

Re: Resale

In 7-10 years most cars aren't worth 25% of their original value. Most cars depreciate quickly in the first 3 years, after that its steady and is more dependant on how well you cared for the vehicle and miles driven.

The things that effect depreciation the most are incentives provided by manufactures on the new model year vehicles. Let's say for instance, Chrysler started offering $5k in rebates on the 2012 JGC - the 2011's would take an immediate $5k hit on their value, then mileage depreciation would kick in. You then have to look at popularity of the vehicle and then how many other used JGC are on the market.

With the JGC it's not as easy as it has been in the past to "predict" depreciation. The new JGC are getting better reviews than other cars that hold their value better. It's a waiting game at the moment to see if the new JGC holds its value better than the JGC of the past.

Another example, take the Wranglers. They hold their value really well because they are highly sought after. Wranglers aren't made better than JGCs, and you always see some for sale. You never see an over abundance of Wranglers for sale. What's going to hurt JGCs is the rent-a-car jeeps that will be/are hitting the market.

Think supply and demand, the more there are of something the more price will come down to sell said item.

rockrash 01-07-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revelation78 (Post 547429)
In 7-10 years most cars aren't worth 25% of their original value. Most cars depreciate quickly in the first 3 years, after that its steady and is more dependant on how well you cared for the vehicle and miles driven.

The things that effect depreciation the most are incentives provided by manufactures on the new model year vehicles. Let's say for instance, Chrysler started offering $5k in rebates on the 2012 JGC - the 2011's would take an immediate $5k hit on their value, then mileage depreciation would kick in. You then have to look at popularity of the vehicle and then how many other used JGC are on the market.

With the JGC it's not as easy as it has been in the past to "predict" depreciation. The new JGC are getting better reviews than other cars that hold their value better. It's a waiting game at the moment to see if the new JGC holds its value better than the JGC of the past.

Another example, take the Wranglers. They hold their value really well because they are highly sought after. Wranglers aren't made better than JGCs, and you always see some for sale. You never see an over abundance of Wranglers for sale. What's going to hurt JGCs is the rent-a-car jeeps that will be/are hitting the market.

Think supply and demand, the more there are of something the more price will come down to sell said item.

Wranglers hold their value because of body style .

JGCCAYENNE 01-07-2012 11:31 AM

The higher you move up in trim level (base, Laredo X, Limited, Overland, Summit), the less the percentage of original value (MSRP) retained when you sell it. The base level JGC will hold the highest percentage of value, and the Overland Summit will hold the lowest percentage of value.

In general, after four years of ownership, the options and trim levels add about 10% to 15% to the sales price when compared to a base level car.

peckmv 01-07-2012 04:05 PM

As with anything. Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

AAAA 01-07-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 547705)
As with anything. Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

True. Also depends if there is a WK3 (or 4) available at that time!
The big picture is that all daily drivers depreciate, but you have to drive something. It's like people who think of their house as an investment. It really isn't as you have to live somewhere and there is a value to that.

Revelation78 01-07-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockrash (Post 547440)
Wranglers hold their value because of body style .

Changes in body style can have an effect, but to attribute resale value entirely to body style would be unwise. If that were the case, any Wrangler prior to 2007 would be worthless....

Willir2 01-08-2012 05:04 PM

I would say it is pretty hard to guess what it will be worth 5 years from now. But Right now the value of WK2 Laredo E 4WD, with 14k in miles is worth $29,300 - That is Clean retail. Trade in is 25,500 and if you were to Auction which I doubt anyone would, you can get LOW - 23,300 to HIGH - 24,300

This is general and not using the VIN to justify it more. But those number can vary with options and mileage and location.

JTS97Z28 01-08-2012 05:19 PM

I think resale value will be pretty good on the JGC. Only issue I can see is that far down the road im not sure how popular a fuel hungry SUV is going to be especially the V8 Hemi. With big updates coming like the efficient diesel for 2013, it might be hard to sell a 13mpg V8 Jeep in 2017 when most cars are electric or hybrids. Just something to think aboutI guess.
As much as I love the Hemi in these things, im just not gonna get myself into one because the fuel economy. Sure I can afford it, but everything these days is all about mpg and I think that will play a big part down the road. Again, just my opinion!