Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Brake light doesn't work- help. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/brake-light-doesnt-work-help-33657.html)

bigpanda 01-07-2012 06:41 AM

Brake light doesn't work- help.

I just found out driver side rear brake light isn't working. When headlight light switch is on, that bulb comes on. But when I brake, that bulb doesn't get brighter like the other brake light. I turned off the head light switch and braked. Then that bulb isn't lit up.

So, what should I look into? Thanks.

77Cherokee 01-07-2012 09:58 AM

Re: Brake light doesn't work- help.

There are two filaments in the bulb, one for the lights and one for brake/signal light. Sounds like yours is burned out. Does the flasher run at high speed on the left side? Try changing the bulb.

bigpanda 01-07-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Cherokee (Post 547497)
There are two filaments in the bulb, one for the lights and one for brake/signal light. Sounds like yours is burned out. Does the flasher run at high speed on the left side? Try changing the bulb.

I didn't know there were two filaments. I will check the bulb then. Thanks.

FYI, mine has seperate signal bulb and cluster.

bigpanda 01-11-2012 04:32 PM

Well, I went to the dealer and this light was working fine. So I came back home without light bulb changed. Then last night I noticed it was out again?!WTH! Is it bulb problem or anyother part issue I should look into?

Archer9 01-11-2012 04:36 PM

Why don't you just change the bulb?. Bulbs are cheap.

scorz20 01-11-2012 04:52 PM

Exactly correct. Just change the bulb, cuz by the time you posted the 2 questions you could have already changed it. Open back hatch, use flathead screwdriver to release 2 tab on fasteners, pull out fastener and anchor, pull out lamp assemly by hand, turn socket out of lamp assembly, pull out burnt bulb. The repeat in reverse. No way I would ever take car to dealer for burnt bulb. JMO

bigpanda 01-12-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorz20 (Post 550615)
Exactly correct. Just change the bulb, cuz by the time you posted the 2 questions you could have already changed it. Open back hatch, use flathead screwdriver to release 2 tab on fasteners, pull out fastener and anchor, pull out lamp assemly by hand, turn socket out of lamp assembly, pull out burnt bulb. The repeat in reverse. No way I would ever take car to dealer for burnt bulb. JMO

That's what I'm gonna have the dealer do it tomorrow. Too many little problems with WK2...

AAAA 01-12-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigpanda (Post 550604)
Well, I went to the dealer and this light was working fine. So I came back home without light bulb changed. Then last night I noticed it was out again?!WTH! Is it bulb problem or anyother part issue I should look into?

These are still filament bulbs. Sometimes the filament breaks but 2 broken ends touch due to vibration... light on, light off, light on.

scorz20 01-12-2012 05:26 PM

exactly but he insists on wastin time and money at the dealer to fix it i guess

JETLIFE 01-12-2012 05:30 PM

What does it matter to any of you if he takes it in to the dealer? It could be some other issue (although I doubt it)

To think everyone turns a wrench on their own vehicle is crazy.

scorz20 01-13-2012 08:27 AM

It doesnt matter to us, just like our opinions of not taking it to dealer dont matter to you! No wreches involved in changing this bulb. Our point was why waste time and possibly money for 5 minute bulb change. Its only the filament in the bulb and is "crazy" to go to dealer for bulb

JETLIFE 01-13-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorz20 (Post 551780)
It doesnt matter to us Clearly it does! , just like our opinions of not taking it to dealer dont matter to you! Very true No wreches involved in changing this bulb. right it takes a Torx Our point was why waste time and possibly money for 5 minute bulb change. got your point, thanks Chief Its only the filament in the bulb and is "crazy" to go to dealer for bulb Well i guess that's your opinion... not his

MY POINT is that some people don't want to spend 5 minutes changing a light bulb, as silly as that may seem to you. He has warranty, and he wants to take it to the dealer. Simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorz20 (Post 551394)
exactly but he insists on wastin time and money at the dealer to fix it i guess

He's not wasting money, maybe time but that is all relative to his lifestyle. And not your call to make.... "i guess"