Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Keep or Sell (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/keep-or-sell-33668.html)

Bleeding Blue 01-07-2012 10:20 AM

Keep or Sell

My Jeep is currently in the shop getting the transmission rebuilt. I have the NAG1 Mercedes transmission and my Jeep has roughly 72,000 miles. My transmission will now have a 3 year warranty for parts/labor.

My question is do you guys think this was a freak thing and I shouldnt expect a bunch of problems down the road or it is a sign of things to come and I should consider trading in the Jeep and trying to break even? I am primarily worried my Jeep may be that Lemon you get sometimes.

Thanks!

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-07-2012 12:56 PM

Re: Keep or Sell

Keep it, it may have been a freak even. They are very dependable vehicles

Bleeding Blue 01-07-2012 02:07 PM

That is the way I am leaning, it would suck to drop 3,000 into it and then dump it. It did shift way better on the way home just now....I was gonna use that 3k for lift/rims/tires...looks like that will have to wait!

SvenskaJeepGuy 01-07-2012 02:15 PM

did you buy it used? maybe the previous owner drove it hard or didnt maintain it. have you done all of the 60k mile services?

Bleeding Blue 01-07-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 547639)
did you buy it used? maybe the previous owner drove it hard or didnt maintain it. have you done all of the 60k mile services?

Yeah I bought it used, had it about 10 months. I have changed every fluid except for brake and transmission. I asked if not changing the trans fluid caused it and he said no which was a relief since I planned on doing it next.

MattyDipps 01-07-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Blue (Post 547667)
Yeah I bought it used, had it about 10 months. I have changed every fluid except for brake and transmission. I asked if not changing the trans fluid caused it and he said no which was a relief since I planned on doing it next.

how many miles were on the tranny?

is this tranny the same in the 2.7 chrysler 300 cause if so my tranny blew in that at 56k miles there was a bushing ontop of the tranny that cracked and let water in ... eventually blowing the tranny ... apparently chrysler knew about it but did nothing the tranny guy i brought mine to said it was the third 300 in 5 months

Bleeding Blue 01-07-2012 04:36 PM

Not sure if it is the same or not, I know the primary rod in my transmission more or less cracked in half...taking the torque converter with it. The guy said my trans is a really good one and this was a freak things, but who really knows

Drew 01-07-2012 05:32 PM

Freak thing...The Nag1 tranny is the same tranny that's behind the SRT8 and CRD WK's as well as other pretty high HP MB vehicles. That tranny is probably the most durable part on the Jeep...lol.