Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   New Feature Discovered (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/new-feature-discovered-33671.html)

Chi-One 01-07-2012 11:32 AM

New Feature Discovered

I was stopped at a light listening to sat radio. A fire engine approached and the radio emitted the EBS tones. Anyone else notice this?

Lingohocken 01-07-2012 11:52 AM

Re: New Feature Discovered

If you were near a traffic light, they might have been signaling it to change to green. If so, your sat frequency may have been the same as that used to signal the traffic light. However, if the fire engine was close enough to you, the signal could have blasted through regardless of frequency difference for any of several reasons related to unwanted signal rejection.

brandont 01-07-2012 01:43 PM

There are signals that can be sent to alert traffic of an oncoming emergency vehicle. I believe this is separate from the traffic light signalling. I know several radar detectors have this feature (although I don't know if my Valetine1 does...) but I had not read anything about that feature on the WK2 radios either. Of course your local FD, EMT, and PD have to actually use it too.

Lingohocken 01-07-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandont (Post 547624)
There are signals that can be sent to alert traffic of an oncoming emergency vehicle. I believe this is separate from the traffic light signalling. I know several radar detectors have this feature (although I don't know if my Valetine1 does...) but I had not read anything about that feature on the WK2 radios either. Of course your local FD, EMT, and PD have to actually use it too.

Yes, but unfortunately I don't recall which fqs are used. Whatever, Valentine units don't include this feature.

The reason I doubt you heard a warning intended for radar detectors is because we have traveled several thousand miles on highways throughout the country and not once had an emergency signal alert come over the 730N.

What firmware version do you have?

AAAA 01-07-2012 03:46 PM

I have 430N and have had all kinds of emergency vehicles approach me with no signal change on SAT.

BuckeyeSRT 01-07-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 547692)
I have 430N and have had all kinds of emergency vehicles approach me with no signal change on SAT.

I'm not sure we want to know why that is the case...:D

AAAA 01-13-2012 01:44 PM

They approach, pass and keep going... so far!

1200RT-P 01-25-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lingohocken (Post 547652)
Yes, but unfortunately I don't recall which fqs are used. Whatever, Valentine units don't include this feature.

The reason I doubt you heard a warning intended for radar detectors is because we have traveled several thousand miles on highways throughout the country and not once had an emergency signal alert come over the 730N.

What firmware version do you have?

most of the traffic signal preemption (TSP) systems used in the US are light based, and use a light bar mounted strobe to force a right of way via a receiver mounted on the traffic signal. These receives look like little black bird houses perched on the pole. The TSP systems running on radio frequencies utilize UHF 900mhz IIRC.

Crestwood1001 01-25-2012 01:28 AM

Its called an "opti-con" our engines use them, its a strobe in the middle of the light bar, when we get within sight of the signal it activates and gives us the right of way. The newest engine we have (a 2002 pierce) uses an LED version.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

jeepinusa 01-25-2012 12:33 PM

This weekend as I was driving,I forgot to turn off the turn signal for a while ,then I notice a message flash and a warning chime ..message stating turn signal on..something like that

bmrisko 01-25-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinusa (Post 560393)
This weekend as I was driving,I forgot to turn off the turn signal for a while ,then I notice a message flash and a warning chime ..message stating turn signal on..something like that

My 1993 Grand Cherokee had that feature also. :D

plynn7 01-29-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepinusa (Post 560393)

I have had that feature in every car since I got married, it's the wife saying you forgot to turn off your turn signal. No matter how hard I try I can not find a disable feature for that warning.:lol: