Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Wheel well material (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wheel-well-material-33700.html)

JuddsWK2 01-07-2012 08:33 PM

Wheel well material

Today after getting a little dirty I stopped at the car wash to pressure wash the wheel wells out.

It am I crazy or do the wheel wells have some sort of carpet like material ?

berk483 01-07-2012 08:54 PM

Re: Wheel well material

It's for noise isolation.

JuddsWK2 01-07-2012 09:25 PM

ahh ok that makes sense.

No issues with pressure washing under there?

berk483 01-07-2012 09:32 PM

None at all, have at it.

SW03ES 01-07-2012 11:07 PM

Yep, my 2010 Lexus and my previous 2003 Lexus also have it. Its kind of annoying because leaves and such do get trapped in it, but it does hose out nicely and stays newer looking than the plastic which quickly greys.

JuddsWK2 01-08-2012 01:01 AM

Thanks for the info. it did wash up nice. I was just taken off guard by it as this is the first vehicle I have owned that had it.

rich mac 01-09-2012 11:40 PM

I put the QL in ORII position when I wash the wheel wells and tires, makes it much easier.

BManz 01-10-2012 06:21 PM

It's durable like indoor/outdoor carpeting and muffles road noise and stone chips nicely just like most other luxo vehicles. I'm glad we have it.

IRISH 01-10-2012 06:38 PM

Any issues with road tar sticking to it, on my plastic ones I have to use tar remover to get it off.

WoodyCanuck 01-10-2012 07:42 PM

Thats a good question. ;) Time will tell.
I've only had mine two months now, and just got my mud flaps on.
Now that the wheel wells are full of snow and salt and crud, I won't be able to get in and see how they've held up until spring. :cool: (ie July)

IRISH 01-11-2012 09:14 AM

The material concerns me because I like to wash the inside of the wheel wells by hand and then condition them when detailing the Jeep. Here in Alberta they spray liquid inside the road cracks which in the summer heat becomes liquid again and makes a mess when driving over it, I usually end up spending quite a bit of time with Varsol getting it off, not a deal breaker for me, but does concern me.

JTS97Z28 01-11-2012 09:19 AM

My Acura TL has this material as well and like others have said its for sound. Yes it does collect junk, but when I wash the car I put the hose sprayer to jet mode and it takes everything right off.

Irish,
dont let it concern you, there are cars that have had this material in the wheel wells wayyy before this Jeep did and its not a problem. I also clean my wheel wells and after washing my 07 TL-S they look real nice after I rinse them off. Everything thats stuck onto them comes right off included winter crap, leaves, sand, gravel etc etc. I use nothing but water from my hose.

James