Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Fuel door release button doesn't work (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/fuel-door-release-button-doesnt-work-33749.html)

drwaldo69 01-08-2012 08:25 PM

Fuel door release button doesn't work

Hi everyone. Thought I would ask about this before I take it in. Tried to fill up yesterday and had to manually release the fuel door because the button was inoperative. Didn't see a fuse for it and far as I know all the rest of the lights, etc work. Hoping this isn't a tear apart the back end of my '12 Overland to get at a wiring harness or whatever type of deal. Any ideas or if there is a specific fuse? Any help is appreciated.

joebuf1 01-09-2012 09:35 AM

Re: Fuel door release button doesn't work

I assume you tried the manual door release? That is a mechanical linkage, with no electronics. If you've tried that and it didn't work (p. 433 in the owner's manual) I'd let the dealer look at it...

Do you hear the mechanism at all when you push the release button? If you did, then you know the connection is good. It shouldn't be too hard to fix regardless.

drwaldo69 01-09-2012 12:14 PM

joebuf1, thanks. I did use the manual release. I don't hear anything like the actuator or see it move with the fuel door open. Just a dead button. Thought maybe something I am missing but I don't think so. For now when I gas up I just pop the rear hatch, pull up the plastic in the rear left, pull the manual release and fill her up. Lot of fun :).

drwaldo69 03-18-2012 12:17 PM

Unbelievable! I have been driving around for 2 months waiting to get my Jeep in the shop for it's first oil change and have the fuel door release looked at. Tired of opoening the hatch and pulling the manual cable at the gas pump. I even called a tech and asked if there was a fuse for the actuator. Told "no". Told never heard of the fuel door not working and mine "was the only one".
Took it in yesterday for oil, rotation and to have the fuel door looked at. Service advisor let me know he might not get to the fuel door since it was Saturday and only had one tech who did electrical systems. He acted a little put off. When I bought the Jeep one of the big selling points was that they had weekend service. I brought up that the fuel door might just be a fuse or relay, he shot that suggestion down hard and said it would be "way more than that" and wanted me to leave it all day which I agreed to. I was at least thinking they could find out what was wrong and order the part to save me an extra trip. FYI, there is NO diagram or reference for the fuel door release fuse anywhere.

Pick up the Jeep, oil and rotation were done. Told needed to order a fuel door release button, not sure how long it would take. Got in my Jeep and the TPMS wouldn't pick up, told it needed service. Literally still sitting at the dealer, they took it back and had the tech look at it. I could see them with the liftgate open, never the hood. Final verdict: They had no idea why the TPMS was not working and it was "offline". They did a "system reset" and still wouldn't work. Needed to order a new TPMS module, not sure how long it would take.
Woke up this am, looked up the TPMS fuse, M29, checked it and it was blown. Replaced it, now not only does the TPMS work but so does my fuel release door. They are both on the same fuse evidently.
Moral of the story, you can have all your fancy diagnostics but they can't evidently tell the tech when a fuse is blown. Don't know why the TPMS never had an error code until now if the fuse was blown the whole time unless the fuel door button started working on its own. Guess I could pull the fuse and see if it still works.

Brewster 03-18-2012 12:31 PM

As they say, they don't teach you that in college. Amazing these days we've become so technology driven, a little common sense still goes a long way.

bigjgcfan 03-18-2012 01:48 PM

drwaldo,

Now you need to send your bill to that fine dealer...
And, tell them that you do common sense diagnostic service, and on a Sunday too!

Real Moral of Story: What a shame on that Advisor & Tech !! ... Total Embarrassment !!

77Cherokee 03-18-2012 05:32 PM

These vehicles are electonically complicated. Apparently the techs aren't given enough training to deal with it.

Although it is possible that both of those circuits are on the same fuse, why didn't you get the TPM fault message earlier on? Perhaps the tech's messing around with things jarred something, causing the fuel door button to work again.

padgett 03-18-2012 06:11 PM

Old but is the only car I have owned for which you cannot buy a service or wiring manual. $206 is fine, just sell me a CD with evervthing. Heck, one club I am in has the whole GM service manual on line with permission from GM.</rant> Maybe if enough people complain ???

Just FYI, for many brands (not just GM) you can go to Helminc.com and get complete factory sets e.g. 2012 Buick Enclave/Chev Traverse/GMC Acadia/Denali Service Manual Set Price: $200.00 In Stock. What is with Chrysler-Jeep-Daimler-FIAT ?

drwaldo69 03-18-2012 09:22 PM

Couple of things. This site is great because we care about our vehicles and doing things right. Usually a little common sense and some time and something can be done or figured out. These techs rely too much on plugging their crap in and seeing what it tells them to do.

Both the TPMS and the fuel door are on fuse M29, a 10 amp. I re-pulled it just to check it out and the fuel door didn't work.

Something else to worry about. The error on the EVIC didn't pop up until they rotated my tires. It is as if the EVIC kept on displaying the last tire pressures before the fuse blew and only errored when all 4 tires were taken off and rotated. Maybe a glitch in the system? One or two low tires will trip the TPMS but a blown fuse won't and the system thinks everything is fine until the tires are rotated?

Jeeters 03-19-2012 01:57 PM

Sounds like the shop manual they're following is missing a crucial line of text...

"Step 1: Check the fuse."