Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Big Red, not so big anymore...

7K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  Jeep95XJ 
#1 ·
So I decided to un-lift my Jeep. I did so because I never use it off road anymore and it's a waste of money on gas, so I sold all the parts and lowered it instead, loving it so far, here's some before and after stats and pics.
Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

Old Set up: (before)
-OME HD Coils
-Kevins .75" Spacers
-Procomp MX-6 Shocks
-265/75/16 BfGoodrich Mud-Terrains mounted on Silverblades

New set-up: (lowered)
-Eibach pro-kit lowering springs
-Bilstein HD gas shocks
-18" JK Sahara machine finished rims
-255/55/18 Toyo Proxes S/T
-Addco Rear swaybar
-Coming next summer: 20" SRT8 rims

Before:

After: (dirty, haven't had time to clean it in awhile)

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
It handles Amazingly!...so much better lowered, cant wait until the srt8 20's next summer.

Wow I really like your rig. The change is good :D. So what are you monitoring on the A pillar there :). What kind of mods?
My other mods include:
-Flowmaster 40 series
- K&N CAI
-Old man emu steering stabalizer
-Addco rear swaybar
-Overland Gauges
-RB1 Navi with iPod integration
-Stealthbox with Alpine TypeR and Alpine PDX1.600 Amp
-Full interior and exterior LED's
-Optima Red-Top Battery

I am monitoring air/fuel ratio, oil pressure(more accurate than gauge cluster), and vacuum pressure.
Here's a pic:

#4 ·
Looking good. I like that A pillar you have.

#7 ·
Nice Bill. I wish I had a 3 pod A pillar.

#11 ·
To my eyes, it looked better lifted. Still a very nice GC but I just love nicely lifted Jeeps and yours was just that.

#13 ·
Nice stance you got now. Its gonna look beast with those SRT wheels on it.

#14 ·
looks great Bill!

#19 ·
If you lift it and add go fast goodies, you can outrun them PLUS crush whatever's in your way!:D

#26 ·
thats def. your opinion...because with a few simple suspension mods the wk can outhandle sports cars. The SRT is a perfect example and the suspension mods from it can all be put on the WK with no modifications needed. My WK easily out handles my wifes 08 Lexus IS250 with the sport package and X package

#28 ·
I have to agree with the lifted Jeeps handling like a dog, who knows how many parts i have changed do to the geometry change, as of now i have another toasted rack and pinion along with fried rear axle bearings, hate to say it but i might not be that far behind with the lowering part. and i do mean like 2 inches or so..

#29 ·
I'll just conclude by saying you own a truck. Yes you can modify anything to make it something else but why buy a truck and want it to behave like a sports car? Doesn't make sense to me, but you like it? Go for it!

#31 ·
I drove my lifted ZJ for many years and miles including towing and never had a complaint. I don't expect a truck to be a sports car or even a regular family sedan. It isn't and is not intended to be. Look at the history of Jeep. Until the SRT8, they have been all about off-road capability. Every new 4X4 tries to outdo what? Right, Jeep. Now CJ's and Wranglers are the most capable off-road true but there are thousands of Cherokees and Grand Cherokees that go off road and do very well, thank you. The SRT8's are amazing but certainly depart from traditional Jeep heritage. I know, you "lower it" guys are going to say: wake up, welcome to the 21st century and stuff like that. All true, but I hold by the tradition of Jeep: It rules off-road and if you lift it right, you do not give up much at all and gain a lot. We'll see who's still driving when the snow flies.

#32 ·
Over the last 30+ years I have owned a lot of Jeeps starting with a 63' CJ5A and the last being an 07' WK. Some have been lifted, some have been tweaked to go fast and some remained stock. All depended on what I want from a particular Jeep. Matters not what someone else thinks is the "right" thing to do with your Jeep only that you are happy with what you decide to do. The Jeep is indeed an American icon and it stands for the individual freedom to make one's own choices and live with the consequences. ;)

Reactions: jeepnjeep and robpp
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.