Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Steering wheel ergonomics?

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  WoodyCanuck 
#1 · (Edited)
For those that own a WK2, what do you think about the style of the steering wheel?

I just rented a Laredo X for a 2 day "test drive" and the only thing I wasn't too excited about was the steering wheel style. The bottom (6 o'clock position) plastic part seemed too wide for resting one hand/ gripping onto the steering wheel.

Anyone completed a mode on this (drill a hole through it)...........or do I need to worry about other things:D? (like I said it's my only complaint)

Al

p.s. just looked at the "SRT8 steering swap" thread, it appears the SRT8 steering wheel has a nice gap in between the 2 plastic parts...that's what I'm talking about

#2 · (Edited)
I like the new steering wheels. This is the kind of thing to which you will simply adapt and probably never think about again. Kind of like new shoes and rearview mirrors. Or you could buy an SRT8. :) Or hang out and see what happens here http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=23185 as you mention.

As far as the standard steering wheels, I prefer the Laredo's all leather wheel to the exposed wood versions by thousands of degrees.

#4 ·
The SRT8 wheel does have the perforated leather very similar to your BMW wheel and considering someone has already figured out how to make it upshift with the paddles I cant imagine downshift is too far behind. Even without the paddles its a sweet upgrade.

On a side note if anyone is looking for either a stock overland steering wheel or an all black heated limited wheel I now have one of each for sale :D

#12 ·
When others are admiring my Overland, I do tend to gush about the quality of materials including the leather dash, and REAL WOOD in the wheel, and trim pieces.
My Pacifica had the imitation wood variety, and now when I look at it in comparison to my Jeep, it now looks cheesy.

I have also grown to love the heft (thickness) of the Jeep wheel.
It feels solid, and I wouldn't change it, even for the SRT wheel.
(but thats me)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.