Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Liberty-KJ and KK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f189/)
-   -   Loud "helicopter" noise coming from rear passengers side (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f189/loud-helicopter-noise-coming-from-rear-passengers-side-33774.html)

Anschro22 01-09-2012 10:17 AM

Loud "helicopter" noise coming from rear passengers side
 
My 2004 jeep liberty is making a loud "helicopter" noise coming from the rear passengers side. It doesn't do this consistantly. Only when driving it will do it every so often. It sounds like it slows down when my vehicle does. And it will start making the noise out of nowherem then just stop. Anyone else have anything like this, or know what to do? please help!

StoneCold 01-09-2012 10:24 AM

Re: Loud "helicopter" noise coming from rear passengers side
 
Could be the start of the wheel hub bearing going.

Jack it up, grab the wheel and wiggle it. If there's play in it, it's the hub.

jeepinusa 01-09-2012 07:31 PM

Re: Loud "helicopter" noise coming from rear passengers side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anschro22 (Post 548832)
My 2004 jeep liberty is making a loud "helicopter" noise coming from the rear passengers side. It doesn't do this consistantly. Only when driving it will do it every so often. It sounds like it slows down when my vehicle does. And it will start making the noise out of nowherem then just stop. Anyone else have anything like this, or know what to do? please help!

I think the wheel bearings are gone...

nfd538 01-09-2012 09:03 PM

Re: Loud "helicopter" noise coming from rear passengers side
 
Do you have a sunroof? Mine makes a helicopter sound with sunroof open and 1 rear window open. Open both rear windows and helicopter flies away.

TJXJWJ 01-10-2012 01:39 PM

Re: Loud "helicopter" noise coming from rear passengers side
 
Wind buffeting is pretty brutal in these rides....but if you're hearing a noise like that with all the windows shut, I'd start with checking wheel bearings. Maybe you lost a wheel weight too, or your rear driveshaft is out of balance. Look for spots where the weights would have left a mark.

bradley4kc 01-20-2012 03:23 PM

Re: Loud "helicopter" noise coming from rear passengers side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfd538 (Post 549318)
Do you have a sunroof? Mine makes a helicopter sound with sunroof open and 1 rear window open. Open both rear windows and helicopter flies away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJXJWJ (Post 549741)
Wind buffeting is pretty brutal in these rides....but if you're hearing a noise like that with all the windows shut, I'd start with checking wheel bearings. Maybe you lost a wheel weight too, or your rear driveshaft is out of balance. Look for spots where the weights would have left a mark.

^^^This


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community