Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   HELP with HID issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/help-with-hid-issue-33789.html)

mtlongisland2 01-09-2012 01:03 PM

HELP with HID issue

I, less than a week ago, installed a 35w 4300k HID kit into my lows and fogs on my 2008 JGC laredo. Everything is great minus the fact they were flickering from time to time, which ive been told is normal.

However today,

When i started my car and turned them on my engine died, this happend a couple of times and it worried me so i called my friend for a ride to the train station and left the jeep at home.

I did not relay the lows or the fogs.

Whats going on? what should i do?

jlewissystem 01-09-2012 01:09 PM

Re: HELP with HID issue

I cant confirm your symptoms to your issue, but ALWAYS run a relay harness with HIDs. Flicker will not go away until you put a harness on. Also - i just upgraded my HID's a few weeks ago and they flickered only when i turned them on - my own fault - i didnt match the wires up correctly. :p

robpp 01-09-2012 01:10 PM

relay harness for the low beams is MANDATORY.

fogs is optional.

robpp 01-09-2012 01:39 PM

i am posting up a PM I got after my above post......might help a few :thumbsup:

[member] .... can you message me a link to a suitable relay harness for the lows. Is the installation simple with an already install HID kit?[/QUOTE]

yes it is rather simple if you can understand how to ground a wire. I ALWAYS stress to use the factory grounds on each inner fender.

for the power I dont like to go to the battery.......open the front most fuse box and use the big stud to add you power wire connection.
its like a 13mm deep socket; i haave like 4 wires up there. :)
we all use one relay PER side per HID. that is safest and if you ever lose one, say a fuse goes, you have one headlight to get you home.

MOST HERE buy our kits from xenondepot as they know to provide high quality relay harnesses.

just dont get a chinese junk one :)

here is a xenon deopt/kbcarstuff link : http://www.kbcarstuff.com/HID-Kit-Wi...-p/wirehar.htm

theres are a bit over priced when buy seperately as they include thm free in a $90 kit.

here is a better price but look around......
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Xenon-Co...103#vi-content

you want single beam 9006. 2 of them.[/QUOTE]

ekaz 01-09-2012 03:06 PM

Dude...not to be rude...but 42 posts looking for help with and HID harness isn't going to help you anymore than 1 thread. In fact, it hurts having to look in 12 different threads about the same things.

nyc_medic 01-09-2012 03:48 PM

Really....atleast 2 posts about the same issue? Way to clog up the system. Sometimes you have to be patient and wait for replies not just make another thread. Just my 0.02cents worth

MadMax 01-10-2012 02:28 PM

A set of error cancellers or a relay harness with resistors should clear up any issues you have.

XenonDepot 01-10-2012 04:37 PM

mtlongisland2 : Flickering is definitely not normal. It will cause you HID components to burn out prematurely. As others mentioned, a relay harness is required when upgrading your low beams. You do not need any "error cancellers."

Steve

MadMax 01-11-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XenonDepot (Post 549869)
mtlongisland2 : Flickering is definitely not normal. It will cause you HID components to burn out prematurely. As others mentioned, a relay harness is required when upgrading your low beams. You do not need any "error cancellers."

Steve

If the car has bulb check, either the relay harness with resistor or the error cancellers will work just fine amd get rid of the flicker. The error cancellers are simply a large capacitor wired in parallel to the HIDs, which provide an extra boost on start up and trick the the car into thinking that there are still halogen bulbs plugged in. I am very surprised that as a reseller of HID kits that you do not know about them.

Personally, I have an X5 with factory HID headlights, and when I did the fogs, I ran into this issue. I picked up a pair of error cancellers from DDM Tuning, plugged them in, and the problem went away. My computer's bulb warning system also works perfectly as well.

Scottina06 01-11-2012 04:42 PM

Xenondepot knows what he is talking about with these jeeps. All you need is a relay harness.....the other things you mention are useless on the wk jeep. We have no bulb out warning system etc. Xenondepot has sold thousands of kits to wk jeep owners and not one needed the error thingamajigs you speak of. Now my brothers pontiac G8 GT was a different story and steve provided those along with the kit.

sent from my HTC EVO

XenonDepot 01-11-2012 05:14 PM

I love the black rims scott! Any high res images of the jeep in it's current form anywhere?

mtlongisland2 01-30-2012 12:07 AM

thank you everyone