Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   front seat fading issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/front-seat-fading-issue-33799.html)

Candy Girl 01-09-2012 03:22 PM

front seat fading issue

I wonder if any of you have experienced this problem. I went out to sweep my 2011 Overland yesterday and in the sunlight, I can see where both front seats have an area very close to the black piping on the outside of the seat that is losing its color. I have the saddle interior. I can't believe this is happening! I hardly have anyone in the back seat, so I am not sure if it would happen there, too. Any thoughts, suggestions??? Other than this, this vehicle has really been trouble free. Thanks for the help!

ajs800 01-09-2012 03:47 PM

Re: front seat fading issue

are you referring to the area near the back of the lower section of the seat...the area that basically meets up with the lower back(where the carseat latches are located)? There are secitons of mine that are off slightly, but each piece is consistant so it's not a fading issue but more of a different swatch of leather.

armoredsaint 01-09-2012 04:03 PM

pics?

rustyosaurus 01-09-2012 04:05 PM

apparently, a lot of people are experiencing this issue with the saddle interior. Jeep has been swapping out the seat backs (or whatever the affected part is) under warranty. haven't seen anybody report on it lately though - makes me wonder if maybe they finally changed vendors or the dyeing process.

this is the reason why i went with black interior over saddle.

take it in to the dealership and they should swap it out no problem.

here are two threads on this:
http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...ghlight=saddle
http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread...ghlight=saddle

Candy Girl 01-09-2012 04:18 PM

Ajs100, it it the edge of the seat toward the front more so than the back. Armoredsaint, I will try to get pics tomorrow to show all of you.

Candy Girl 01-09-2012 04:29 PM

Rustyosaurus, the pic on the links you gave me are exactly what is happening to mine. Again, I will try to get some pics tomorrow.

fireron 01-09-2012 04:36 PM

Do a search on this topic, there are already plenty of pics of the problem. I had both of my front seat bottoms replaced under warranty. The new ones are a little different in the texture, a little rougher maybe if that is the right word, and seem to be holding up much better than the originals. They will replace them though and you might have to go through the "dance" of having the dealership use a vendor to dye them first, all part of the game. They can't really be effectively dyed though because they are a multi-color dye that is almost impossible to correctly duplicate. Good luck!

ajs800 01-09-2012 10:12 PM

okay, i just realized you said the front seats. I was referring to the rear seats. I'd have to say my late 2011 (june) has not had any wear issues as of yet.

Candy Girl 01-10-2012 03:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have the pics to show all of you. I am sorry that the driver's side is on the light side, but the defect nearly runs the length of the seat. The other pic is the passenger side.

Just some info. My Overland was made February 26th. I did not receive it until June 4th. You may remember my many postings regarding the long wait I had.

Please let me know of any more thoughts you may have. Thanks for the help!

MikeBoom 01-10-2012 05:19 PM

As noted above, Jeep has been taking care of this issue by replacing the seat covers. FWIW, that is very premature wear for any color of leather seat. I'm currently driving a '96 4Runner with similar colored leather that shows none of this type of color loss. Not being an expert, it looks to me like a very thin layer of dye was sprayed on the leather, the result being that just a wee bit of contact is wearing it off.

Candy Girl 01-11-2012 10:29 AM

I agree totally, Mike. My last Jeep was a '96 Grand Cherokee Limited and those seats were like the day I bought that vehicle 15 1/2 years later!

JTS97Z28 01-11-2012 11:25 AM

I will agree that this is way too early to be showing wear, but I will also say this. If you want your seats to last it is VERY important to get in and out of your car with care. I always cringe when I see people (even worse if your over weight) getting in and out of the car by putting all their weight on the bolsters then sliding over. I am not saying this is what you do, im only saying that in the long run it will keep your seats looking perfect. When I get in my cars I do not touch the side bolsters at all. I sit directly into the middle of the seat and so far every car I have ever owned the seats always look brand new. I know in a SUV that might be tough to do since you have to go up and into the seat, where as with my current car you go down into the seat.
I know it stinks that one would have to change the way they do things just because the manufacturer didnt make the side bolsters better, but it is what it is and my recommendation is to change the way you get in and out of the car. Been workin for me :-)