Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Wire Short??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/wire-short-33828.html)

ernieburn9 01-10-2012 02:33 AM

Wire Short???

Hey Fellas i need some help!

i have had a dead battery for 4 days now. I have bought a multimeter and did a "voltage drop test" and pulled all the fuses until it stoped draining with the car off. the Fuse i found was #16 from the junction block under the steering wheel. i got a Service Manual from OLDGEEZER here THANKS BRO! it shows the fuse is part if the circuit with the- Cluster, Steering Control Module, and Data link connecter.

How do I test those parts from here? Do i check continuity, OHM, or voltage on each? Oh and my airbag light been on for a year now in the middle of the cluster and so is the passenger side to.(even if i have a passenger) i think maybe my clock spring could be shorted, i have heard of this before.

any help would be great!!

Thanks,

dr.lee.baugh 01-10-2012 01:17 PM

Re: Wire Short???

Finding the short-circuit in that situation is going to be very tricky, I think.

How much voltage is that circuit using when the ignition is in the off position? As I am sure you are aware, there are many systems that require some juice even when the vehicle is off, and it is likely one of these systems that has the short, since that circuit is the only one energized with the ignition in the off position. It is unusual for a short in a system that is NOT on the IOD fuse to cause the battery to drain (though I am sure it is possible). To drain the battery in a day, it must be a fair-sized draw! Have you checked the battery to ensure it can hold a charge, and the charging system to make sure these things are working too? Just to rule out the obvious before getting into the wiring of the vehicle...

The drivers side air-bag may be related to the clockspring, but I do not believe the passenger side would be. Common problems resulting in the airbag lights coming on is the wiring under the seat(s) used for the occupant classification system. Pull the airbag codes, and that should give you a little more of an idea if your two problems are related.

As for how to test the individual parts, I think you are going to have a heck of a time getting access to each system. I would try for a visual inspection first, to see if you see any loose/broken or bare metal wires. Other than that, I think it is going to come down to a lot of probing around with the multi-meter trying to see what is drawing a voltage and shouldn't. I would think some of the components are downright impossible to get to to test.

These kinds of electrical gremlins have been around for years in Jeeps (in fact, in two of the three that I have owned, I ended up pulling the IOD fuse or putting in a hard-wired switch at the battery...)

Good luck!

dr.lee.baugh 01-10-2012 01:43 PM

Re: Wire Short???

Just remembered...

They do sell tools specific for finding shorts, that may be of use.

Something like:

http://www.tooltopia.com/kd-tools-2524.aspx

$20 bucks could save you some serious time if it works!

ernieburn9 01-10-2012 09:35 PM

I went thru the whole charging system. I bought 2 NEW batteries(thought 1st new battery was a bad so I made them trade it in on the warranty),tested the alternator( charges@ 13.78 V), changed the starter about 8 months ago. I understand that a car sucks about .03 miliamps when a car is off, but I am pulling 3.39. yes I make sure nothing else is on like lights, doors are closed too.

I get a DTC P0585 it reads as a" cruise control module A/B input" on my Predator. the service manual says the code "speed control switch 1/2 correlation" same thing. Which looks like it is part of the circuit I pulled the fuse from.

I dont get a code for my airbag light but I sprayed the all connections under the passenger seat with electrical cleaner, didn't work. I think it a bad connector but this issue I have had for 1 year, it never drained the battery so maybe it is a separate issue.