Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Brand new (one week old) and leaking coolant? Anyone else??? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/brand-new-one-week-old-and-leaking-coolant-anyone-else-33850.html)

Jenny 01-10-2012 04:18 PM

Brand new (one week old) and leaking coolant? Anyone else???

Is anyone else having this problem? I just purchased my Jeep Grand Cherokee 2012 last week with only 9 miles. Noticed several puddles (the size of pizzas) on my garage floor (light pink/brown in color and a bit oily to the touch but looks like water when sitting on the ground). Drips can be seen falling from under the hood area just behind the front tire on the driver's side of the vehicle. Took it to a Jeep dealer who said it was coolant but couldn't find the source of the leak... Loosing a lot of coolant: was below the add line in just one week. I'm currently filling with antifreeze when it gets below the add line. Is this a known problem? Still love my Jeep but it's a bummer I already have a problem the first week!!! :(

Jenny 01-10-2012 05:25 PM

Re: Brand new (one week old) and leaking coolant? Anyone else???

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this problem in such a new vehicle? Any ideas are much appreciated! Thanks!:thumbsup:

jeepster23 01-10-2012 05:42 PM

Yes there have been a few others with this exact problem and they state that the problem is an inferior quality clamp that was used at the factory. The dealer simply replaces it with a Heavy Duty clamp and refills it with coolant and that seems to have fixed everything. Good Luck

BobsWK2 01-10-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepster23 (Post 549913)
Yes there have been a few others with this exact problem and they state that the problem is an inferior quality clamp that was used at the factory. The dealer simply replaces it with a Heavy Duty clamp and refills it with coolant and that seems to have fixed everything. Good Luck

I read where the clamps in question are at the rear of the engine that supply coolant to the heater core. There are 4 clamps back there.

aphexafx 01-10-2012 06:36 PM

Take it back to the dealer and make them schedule you to fix it. No matter if your leak is the known issue mentioned above or not, the vehicle is under warranty and that is totally unacceptable. I hope I'm misreading because I cannot believe that the service personnel would simply tell you they couldn’t find the leak and send you on your way!

12167jeep 01-10-2012 07:33 PM

Mine blew after 72hrs owning, had to have it towed to the dealer. They found that a factory clamp wasnt seated properly. The guy i blew by doing 85 wasnt impressed when he drove past me with my hood up and steam pouring everywhere. And it was also downpouring that day.

bbjrhome 01-10-2012 07:37 PM

I haven't had the problem. Is this a problem on some of the V8 or V6? I have not experienced it.

DavidB 01-10-2012 10:22 PM

This exact thing happen to me also. I was told that the wrong clamp was used on one of the heater hoses.

Jenny 01-11-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphexafx (Post 549967)
Take it back to the dealer and make them schedule you to fix it. No matter if your leak is the known issue mentioned above or not, the vehicle is under warranty and that is totally unacceptable. I hope I'm misreading because I cannot believe that the service personnel would simply tell you they couldn’t find the leak and send you on your way!

Here's the rest of the story... I took it to another Jeep dealership this morning (30 miles down the road) and they were extremely professional. They located what they thought to be the location of the leak (near the heater core) in less than an hour and gave me a rental car free of charge since it's under warranty. The dealership I took it to originally told me that I needed to go to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle (nearly 3 hours away!) because they'd be able to do more for me since it's under warranty. That shouldn't be the case (as proven by the dealership I'm happily working with now). I suspect the dealership that sent me away is upset that I didn't purchase my Jeep from them. But that really shouldn't matter. I used to get my other car serviced with them, but no more. From now on I'll be driving the extra 30 miles to do business where I get better service.

hammer1234 01-11-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenny (Post 550500)
Here's the rest of the story... I took it to another Jeep dealership this morning (30 miles down the road) and they were extremely professional. They located what they thought to be the location of the leak (near the heater core) in less than an hour and gave me a rental car free of charge since it's under warranty. The dealership I took it to originally told me that I needed to go to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle (nearly 3 hours away!) because they'd be able to do more for me since it's under warranty. That shouldn't be the case (as proven by the dealership I'm happily working with now). I suspect the dealership that sent me away is upset that I didn't purchase my Jeep from them. But that really shouldn't matter. I used to get my other car serviced with them, but no more. From now on I'll be driving the extra 30 miles to do business where I get better service.

I had a similar issue with a Jeep dealer closer to home...took the WK2 in several times for the same issue (not the one the OP reported) and was told to take it back to where I bought it. Total BS.

Why do dealers do this? Is warranty work that much trouble for dealers where they don't care about doing it unless they sold you the vehicle?

Jenny 01-11-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbjrhome (Post 550027)
I haven't had the problem. Is this a problem on some of the V8 or V6? I have not experienced it.

My Jeep is a V6. Not sure if the V8s were fitted with problem clamps. As someone who enjoyed the HEMI in the 300, I almost got the V8. But the V6 has been a peppy enough engine for me. Can't wait to get it back. Missing it already!

Jenny 01-11-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidB (Post 550180)
This exact thing happen to me also. I was told that the wrong clamp was used on one of the heater hoses.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I took my Jeep to another dealership and they said that the location of the leak appeared to be near the heater core. So it looks like I too might need a new clamp. Hopefully Jeep is aware of this problem so that no one else has to deal with this... Thanks again!