Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   MDS while idling in traffic (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/mds-while-idling-in-traffic-33868.html)

aimpulsive 01-10-2012 10:25 PM

MDS while idling in traffic

Does anyone know if the 2012 GC V8 engine activates MDS while idling in traffic (or while warming up)?

If not, does anyone know of a way to reprogram the engine to do this? As I sit in traffic I do NOT see the ECO light come on so I assume it is running on all 8 cylinders...and, I watch the average MPG tick DOWNWARD as I idle through my 10 mile journey each day.

Eric67 01-11-2012 05:13 AM

Re: MDS while idling in traffic

No ECO when idling. Mpg is ticking down because there IS fuel consumption, but no distance travelled, so mpg is getting worse.

FlyinRyan 01-11-2012 05:41 AM

^bingo.

No tuning available yet, so no reprogramming.

aimpulsive 01-11-2012 06:26 AM

Thanks. It sure seems that idling would be a great time to turn off four extra cylinders!

Bluehighways 01-12-2012 12:33 AM

Better still, I wish it had the Start/Stop feature that I had on my Civic Hybrid and that GM is now putting on many of it's 4Cyl gasoline engines (They call it Eco-Boost). I found that it saved some serious fuel in city traffic, much more than I'd have thought. Never really could beat the system either. By the time I lifted my foot from the brake pedal and hit the gas pedal the engine was already running.

WK2 Rover 01-16-2012 10:49 AM

ECO is shut off at less than 10 MPH. I recall reading something about Chrysler deciding to not allow MDS at idle (even though it is a low power situation) due to vibration. I would rather have a smooth idle than save a few dollars myself.

User_22 01-20-2012 03:31 AM

Is it even possible to reprogram the MDS in these Jeeps? I would love to know if the MDS could be tuned to save some extra MPG.

kennzz05 01-20-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by User_22 (Post 556493)
Is it even possible to reprogram the MDS in these Jeeps? I would love to know if the MDS could be tuned to save some extra MPG.

;

doubtful.,i am dumbfounded by people who buy jeeps than want better mileage. chrysler in my opinion has always lagged behind the big 3 in terms of fuel mileage
and their v8s have always been the worst out there, in my opinion. I cant get 20 mpg out of my 4.0 xj no matter what. Imagine my shock and awe when i got my srt8 and it turns over 2500 rpms at 70 mph. I think my friends c4 vette thats like 27 years old does like 1800 at 70 and gets like 22 mpg. Still cant understand why they couldnt put a taller final gear in these vehicles. Guess its the old Just Empty Every Pocket mentality

aimpulsive 01-22-2012 09:25 PM

Wanting and owning a jeep should not preclude us from at least getting the EPA stated estimates! This is the first car I have owned in twenty years that I babies the gas and still get 3 to 4 mpg less than estimated in the city. I drove my others without regard for soft-pedaling and generally got what the sticker estimated.

I only have 650 miles on the Cherokee so I am still hoping for better mpg around town eventually. It has already improved some!

Still, I love my overland!

Jeff_Jeske 01-26-2012 04:51 PM

My mileage has been getting worse. Sick of driving it like a hybrid.

I get better
mileage I'm my 2002 WJ with 4.7 and it has better performance to boot.