Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   tranny issues?? common for you guys?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/tranny-issues-common-for-you-guys-33938.html)

just4myjeep 01-12-2012 01:16 AM

tranny issues?? common for you guys??

winter has actual been cold here in ny for the past few days...although it was 55 last week :lol:! anyways...this week i been going experiencing tranny issues i guess? when i turn my car on, as i switch into drive...it doesn't kick in..today it took about 10 seconds for drive to kick in..I know this is common for most cars but it is the first time my jeep has ever done this. It has been doing it for about a week. i don't warm up my jeep, I thought i should post this in precaution to know if you guys experience this for as long as i do. My jeep isnt garaged! and i dont warm it up before i put it into drive. 10 seconds just seems to long in my had for something like that to switch into drive..could be wrong tho. opinions?! thanks!

2005JGC 01-12-2012 01:22 AM

Re: tranny issues?? common for you guys??

check your fluid level... you may want to drop your transmission pan and inspect your filters, there was a common split filter problem that would cause a delayed engagement on the first gear selection.

dr.lee.baugh 01-12-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 550968)
check your fluid level... you may want to drop your transmission pan and inspect your filters, there was a common split filter problem that would cause a delayed engagement on the first gear selection.

^It'll most definitely be one of these two things! I had the exact same symptoms, first with the original filter that had split and would allow the fluid to drain back out of the torque converter (or something similar) if it sat for a few hours. Replacing the filters with the revised version took care of that.

Symptoms re-appeared when the seal between the transmission and transfer case began to leak. Fixed the seal, topped it up, been golden since.

just4myjeep 01-12-2012 01:25 PM

hm, how much was this for you to fix?

dr.lee.baugh 01-12-2012 06:11 PM

Under $100 on each, but I did the work myself - not all that hard, but certainly messy at times.

Just the cost of fluids (7 Qts. of ATF+4 isn't cheap...I think around $50) and the filters (about $20 if I recall correctly) for when the filter was leaking.

I would guess around $150 - $200 at the dealership to get the transmission filters replaced with fluid.

2005JGC 01-13-2012 12:34 AM

the sump filter (the one you need if its split) is pretty cheap, probably in the neighborhood of what was stated already... the spin on filter is like 45 from the dealer.

just4myjeep 01-13-2012 02:54 AM

ok ok good, ill look into this on a warm day thanks you guys! very very helpful

dmsfun 01-13-2012 08:14 AM

IF the trans fluid level is low, check for leaking trans cooler lines. THis is a very common problem on the WK, and not cheap to repair.

just4myjeep 01-13-2012 12:44 PM

all the fluids were fine, it was just too cold out and i guess the engine was basically frozen

dr.lee.baugh 01-13-2012 03:40 PM

I hope that really is the cause, but I would keep an eye on it.

I have had my Jeep in -40 and although the transmission shift pattern was slightly altered, it certainly did not take 10s to go into gear!

The transmission uses a synthetic fluid that is less susceptible to the cold than a conventional fluid would be.

Even with proper fluid levels, a split in the sump filter would still cause delayed engagement - only way to rule this out is to drop the pan and take a peek.

How far off are you from changing the fluid as part of regular maintenance?

It may be worth having it done a little early, just to make sure everything in the pan looks good.