Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Winch Mount and bumper

92K views 270 replies 57 participants last post by  Letterman52 
#1 ·
I have been working with Rocky Road performance on the possibility of mounting a winch on my WK2. They have had my car for a few days, and are designing some options that they are looking for my (and your!!) opinions on.

Originally I was thinking something real basic (just the fairlead sticking through the bumper), but after chatting with them, they want to build something more along the lines of this:

They have designed a mount, and are ready to build a prototype, but have some questions before they go all in. The thought is that they can do either type – just the winch mount, or the winch mount with the front cover (pushbar, d-rings, etc). The design would be relatively “advanced” to install – take the bumper off, cut the bumper, cut the frame cross-member, drill some holes, bolt the winch mount to the frame, etc….. The winch mount would replace the cross member (and likely be stronger than the factory one).

So – I told them I would gather some info on the interest in doing this.

1. Are you looking for a winch mount for your WK2?
2. Are you willing to cut your front bumper to install behind it?
3. Are you willing to cut the frame cross-member?
4. Do you want the winch mount on it’s own? Or with the bumper?

So – all in all lots of questions – the more info and the more discussion the better for them to decide if they want to produce and bring this to market!

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I like the behind the bumper setup nice and sleek looking, but I'd have to have someone install this.

#9 ·
New News! I went in to pick up my jeep today and talked a bunch more with them.

So - the proposed plan you will have to cut through the plastic bumper valance to bolt on, and add the hole for the winch line.

There are 2 variations being considered - the first is to cut the metal bumper to allow for the winch mount to slide in there. The second idea is to make a replacement piece, so you could unbolt the factory bumper, and replace it with one with an integrated winch mount. Cost is the primary factor, as you would have much more metal, etc for the bolt on piece, but a much easier installation. I think they are hoping this forum can help "weigh" that decision - do you pay more for one more easily DIY, or go for the less expensive but harder to install... Cost can't be really determined until they start manufacturing some.

BTW - the spacing looks like it will allow for about a 10,000 pound winch. Obviously different dimensions on the winches will allow different fitment.

They are potentially looking at a build-to-order bumper piece, with a base bumper, then you would have some options - winch mount, upper or lower light tabs, upper push bar, d-ring tabs, etc. So - it could be made to meet what you are trying to do with YOUR jeep.

So - what I saw drawn up is even sexier than the photoshopped picture, and has some great angles that tie it into the lines of the jeep.

Hoping to get some more feedback on this - so they can decide if there is enough community interest to start making them....

#10 · (Edited)
Here are my subjective opinonated recommendations:

1. Forget about notching the crossmember. As soon as I hear cutting aka permanently modifying aka blowing the warranty aka insurance issues I get serious heartburn. I think this would work for special order but if they are looking to make some money on this mod by expanding the market I 100% think they need a bolt in solution.

2. Love the idea of replacing the cross-member with a NO-CORE option. I personally would pay up and wouldn't mind keeping my stock cross-member in case I sell the vehicle without the mod.

3. Too much customization makes my head spin. Again, I totally buy off on the idea that some one-off custom builds make sense (for $$) but for the average owner like me just give me 1 or 2 options with some pics so I can make a decision.

4. What is the point of the D-Rings when anyone who cares about a winch already has the tow hooks? What am I missing?

5. Wouldn't mind a bit more in the brush guard department. Not a deal breaker, but such a great mod without a little more piping is bittersweet.

Basically I'm in for a bolt on solution (with exception of some bumper dremel cutiting). I don't mind paying extra for bolt-on at all. Been looking for a sleek and not overly obnoxious winch solution for a while. Keep us up to date!

#15 ·
Here are my subjective opinonated recommendations:

2. Love the idea of replacing the cross-member with a NO-CORE option. I personally would pay up and wouldn't mind keeping my stock cross-member in case I sell the vehicle without the mod.
The one quandry with this - once you have cut the bumper cover, it will be hard to ever remove it to sell it - I had the same thought, but if I am going to have to go buy a whole new bumper cover, I am not sure I gain anything.

4. What is the point of the D-Rings when anyone who cares about a winch already has the tow hooks? What am I missing?
This goes to the customization aspect - I think some folks just like the look/utility - not sure if they would be any stronger than the tow hooks as well.

5. Wouldn't mind a bit more in the brush guard department. Not a deal breaker, but such a great mod without a little more piping is bittersweet.
Any examples of brush guards that you could share? I guess I am not following this one.
n

#11 ·
I agree bolt on is the way to go. I don't need all the bars and what not of a bull bar or brush guard, I just need to be able to have the winch ready to go back behind the bumper protected from theft and the elements. The only thing I might consider is on either side of the roller fairlead some type of light tab. A permanently mounted winch tucked out of the way but always hooked up and ready to go is the way it needs to be. IMO

#13 ·
If getting this thing moving without a brush guard makes the most sense, I would just ask that the designer be thoughtful when designing so that a general aftermarket brush guard can still be used. I could be alone but presume many interested in a winch would also consider a brush guard i.e., more than a bull ring.

#18 ·
Lets get this going!

#19 ·
I'd definately go with the DYI bolt on version. I too would be willing to pay more for a NO-CORE crossmember replacement. I really like the clean look with just the polished hawes fairlead showing or maybe even a roller. However, I'd also like to see other options as well such as the photoshopped picture that had the D-rings and small grill guard tube...maybe even a couple mounting tabs for lights too??? This is great stuff guys! Hope to see a finished product soon!!!

#21 ·
I'm all about it, without cutting the frame. I would go for the bolt on option with no core. I would like to see the brush guard removable.

#22 ·
Great news!!! I just received an e-mail from Rocky Road Outfitters the other day. They said that the prototype winch mount for the 2011+ WK2 is completed and they're doing some final testing prior to releasing it. From what I understand the winch isn't totally hidden but they mention that the mounting plate is "pretty cool looking"! Hoping that it gets launched soon!!! :headbang:

#24 ·
This should be interesting!

#27 ·
I would vote for a bolt on unit. For me, I would like to see a simple 2" receiver mount so I could take the winch off when not in use. I have used this system for years and that way you can use one winch for both front and back help when stuck. You do not always want to necessarily go forward and may need to go back from whence you came. Also, having a receiver mount on the front comes in handy during some boat/trailer moving situations.

Plus I like the idea of not carrying the winch weight on the front when driving on long trips. Maybe they would do both the 2" receiver and hidden mount kit. Just my 2 cents.

#28 ·
OK guys - just talked to them this afternoon - looks like they are going to build one and see how it goes. Taking my JGC in next month, and they are going to build the first one, and hopefully have it to market a few weeks or so after that. They want to build the one, work out any bugs, then get it ready to sell - so.... More to come in the next couple months!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.