Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Limited vs Overland

33K views 70 replies 47 participants last post by  SW03ES 
#1 ·
I am within days of ordering a Grand Cherokee, my first domestic car in 10 years. I am 100% settled on the Grand Cherokee, and am going to order it from the factory from my local dealer because I am excited about it and I have done a ton of research and know exactly what I do want - Red with Black leather interior, V6, Commandview roof, 730N Navigation, 20" Rims. I may get the adaptive cruise & luxury package if I get a Limited. The features in the Luxury package come standard in the Overland.

Here is my question - I do like the overland but am feeling the limited is a safer option. It is not a matter of the extra couple grand that, I have a lot of concerns about the Quadra-Lift - I remember seeing all the sagging Lincolns and other cars with air suspensions. What is the advantage of the Overland vs a Limited? I am trying to decipher also what benefit does the air suspension actually provide? Is there any other advantages to the Overland. What are the long term costs of the Quadra-Lift, am I setting myself up for a 4 grand repair at 40k or 50k.

I travel quite a bit, I camp, drive in the mountains and in poor weather, but am not going to take this car rock climbing or anything like that. It's worst case use is dirt or unpaved road and poor weather. Are my concerns justified at all about the quadra-lift? Am I missing something is there some big benefit I am unaware of? The cost is not really a factor as MSRP for the Limited with 730N, 20" Rims, Trailer Tow Package is about 42,500 and the Overland is about. 43,800 - I just want trouble free vehicle that is enjoyable and versatile for long trips and around town and can do light off road and towing.

Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
Bill,

I'm not an expert.. but had to chime in.. because I had the EXACT same concern. My dad is a lincoln man.. and he had the leans to the side vehicles his entire life.. (he could never notice the sage, or the BUUURRRRR motor constantly going.. with car on or off.) I pulled the trigger on a overland.. and I got the extended warranty which will cover the air .. so no worries.. but I can tell you.. the quadra-lift is the BEST riding -- like on air.. and my other car is a new BMW. (which compared--to the lux in my overland--is like a KIA)

GET OVERLAND!

p.s this years auto show.. the NEW MKZ lincoln.. while on display--looking all pretty.. had smoke pouring out of the drivers door.. mild electrical melt down.. yupp in fashion with LINCOLN style!

#3 ·
Bill,

I'm not an expert.. but had to chime in.. because I had the EXACT same concern. My dad is a lincoln man.. and he had the leans to the side vehicles his entire life.. (he could never notice the sage, or the BUUURRRRR motor constantly going.. with car on or off.) I pulled the trigger on a overland.. and I got the extended warranty which will cover the air .. so no worries.. but I can tell you.. the quadra-lift is the BEST riding -- like on air.. and my other car is a new BMW. (which compared--to the lux in my overland--is like a KIA)

GET OVERLAND!

p.s this years auto show.. the NEW MKZ lincoln.. while on display--looking all pretty.. had smoke pouring out of the drivers door.. mild electrical melt down.. yupp in fashion with LINCOLN style!
I understand that the warranty will cover the expense of the possible air ride problems however another concern would simply be the hassle of constantly taking it in all the time for work.

#4 ·
I also had the same dilemma when deciding on my jeep. I didn't want to have to worry about the quadralift all the time. I don't offroad so the limited was fine for me. I actually did the exact combo your thinking about.....except for the color......LOL Got the limited w/ luxury pkg, 20" wheels, 730N, tow pkg, v6 and adaptive cruise.

I LOVE IT!!

#5 ·
I was in the same exact boat and wound up with the overland. Cost wise it didn't make sense to pay the same price for the lower trim. I share the concern about the air suspension but thats what a warranty is for. It is nice having the adjustable suspension for highway driving as well as off roading when camping etc.

#6 ·
Get the Overland its a no brainer. Dont worry about the air suspension the car has a warranty, and if you want more get the extended. Dont forget these air suspension systems have been proven in the Mercedes vehicles for a long time.

#7 · (Edited)
How long is the warranty on the suspension? Isn't it 4 years? As I have mentioned in past posts, I had an '03 Range Rover and the air adjustable suspension was about the only thing that did not break..Just as in that car, I constantly use my settings (sport on the highway and "sit" postion when parking). I believe exercising it keeps the bags moving.

#8 · (Edited)
I like the fact that the air suspension will level the truck out when I throw my mountain bikes in the back (on bike rack) along with other camping stuff.

Either way get yourself extended warranty through http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com . If not for air suspension you might have to visit repair shop for something else - seems like there is still plenty of bugs with this car.

Also another thing that I like in Overland but makes me worried is black leather dash and durability of it. I wish you could get it in a different color w/o having to go Summit way.

#12 ·
Also another thing that I like in Overland but makes me worried is black leather dash and durability of it. I wish you could get it in a different color w/o having to go Summit way.
If you get an Overland with the light frost beige/dark frost beige interior, the leather on the dash will be brown, er, dark frost beige. :)

#11 ·
^this...the stitched leather dash really gives the car an upscale feeling and i think even with the luxury leather you don't get the piping on the seat which adds a sense of class...

#19 ·
same position as you, but couldn't see spending nearly the same fo ra limited optioned out the same way (minus the QL). I was sold on the overland once I saw the leather dash and piping and now that I've used the QL, I'm really glad I have it. Best of Luck!

#13 ·
I racked my brain for a couple of months going back and forth between the Overland and Limited. The "Cool" factor and Off-Road functionality of the air suspension was a definate plus but I just couldn't get rid of that nagging feeling that something might go wrong. Especially since I do a lot of cross dessert runs in the middle of Summer. I also was not a fan of the panormic roof or the leather dash. I know, I am odd ball that likes the standard sun roof. Something about that cloth cover on the pano seemed cheap. I also preffered the all leather stearing wheel in the Limited. I do believe that the spring suspension has a more "connected" feel to the road but that might just be all in my head. Another thing to consider in either case is the 20" don't do well off-road. So, between the pano roof and interior I finally decided on the Limited and have been happy with my decision. A lift kit and I'll really be happy.

BTW, for your shopping comparison, mine is a 2012 Limited 4X4, HEMI, LUX, 730, 20", Tow (everything minus ACC) $39,850 +TTL.

I know you'll be happy either way.

#17 ·
I also was not a fan of the panormic roof or the leather dash. I know, I am odd ball that likes the standard sun roof.
I'm even weirder - I like to have no sunroof at all. :cool:

I understand that the warranty will cover the expense of the possible air ride problems however another concern would simply be the hassle of constantly taking it in all the time for work.
... I got the extended warranty which will cover the air .. so no worries..
I share the concern about the air suspension but thats what a warranty is for.
Dont worry about the air suspension the car has a warranty, and if you want more get the extended.
...get yourself extended warranty through http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com .

I'm think more I'm on the OP's side... When it comes to reliability, it's often much less about the cost, and much more about the hassle of dealership visits.

#14 ·
I was having the same debate but was told by several people not to worry about the air suspension because they have been using the same system in mercedes for several years. I went with the Overland Summit and I have had no trouble with my air suspension and love the ride of it.

#18 ·
I got the Overland. Lowering the suspension to park mode makes it a lot easier to load my kayaks onto the roof rack.

I've never liked sunroofs before, but I really enjoy this pano roof.

I would get the 430N instead of the 730N if you have a choice. The 430N uses the better Garmin NAV and has more disk space for music, while the 730N has been plagued by software bugs for over a year.

#20 ·
one more thing to consider is resale. Higher trim = better resale value down the line. Regardless of what options your limited will have it will still be a limited.

#21 ·
Loving my Overland.
It was the trim level, leather dash, wood wheel, etc, that sold me.
I wanted it whether it had the air suspension or not.
But now that I have it, I like being able to put it low for my passengers,
raise it up in deep snow, or when launching a boat, or doing maintenance,
etc, etc. ;)

I do like the pano roof, and liked that the only option I needed to add was the Adaptive cruise control, and the Hemi. Everything else was included.

#22 ·
I got the Limited with Hemi, luxury, adaptive cruise and offroad package 2. I don't like the Overland trim, wood grain and wood steering wheel. Even fully loaded its a few grand cheaper than the Overland. Tough decision for you as I spent the last few weeks going through various builds until I finally settled on Limited. Good luck!

#23 ·
Overland. Very nice: 9 months on it so far. Use the QL - had the same debate prior to purchase. Splurged on the O-land, because I really liked the lux leather and wood trim --- to each, their own - I suppose...

#24 ·
I was originally apprehensive about the air suspension system as well, but then I remembered that U-Haul trucks have had air suspensions for years, and the city buses have the same lowering and raising air suspension ability as well. Mercedes has put alot of R&D into it, and when I had it on my ML 350, I never had any trouble either. This air suspension system is not new. It's just new to us as an option. My WK2 Overland has performed very well. In fact, there's street that I take home everyday that's 45 mph, which means I'm usually traveling at 50 to 55 through there. the road dead ends into a must left or right three way intersection. So they have painted arrows and cross lines that seem to be "raised" on old black top that is worn all around it, and small pot holes and cracks everywhere. When you're hard on the brakes coming onto all that, it jars and unsettles every vehicle I've ever driven over that, except this Overland. Even under hard braking over those and a quick left hand turn at the end never disrupts the ride or tramlines. The first time I went over those I was hooked. This truck was built to ride.

And I love the stitched leather dash. An earlier poster mentioned how it just really classes the interior up along with the leather seats. I completely agree. I have friends that have $80K SUV's mention how nice the Jeep interior is compared to thiers. That to me is a real compliment to Jeep as we all know our trucks cost half that! The Overland is just a great value for the money.

#25 · (Edited)
There will be problems with the air suspension. In time everything wears out. It just depends on how long you plan to keep the Jeep and if you need extended warranty. Normally consumer grade air suspensions will develop cracks and create slow leaks in the bags by 50-60K miles. Some might make it to 80K miles + but it is enviable that they will need replacing. It'll be about $2-3K per axle to replace and refill the system from the dealers.

Personally I still think the benefits of air suspensions still out way the cost of ownership.

#31 ·
The Overland is an awesome trim model. However I specifically tried to stay away from the quadralift so I dumped the idea of a 4 wheel drive option so I wouldn't get it. My neighbor had Land Rover with it and it was in the shop more than he drove it.

I read up on forums with other cars with quadralift (X5, Land Rover, etc. ) and it looks like they all have the same problems the JGC has. Its been around for several years now and it looks like they still haven't quite figured it out by now. I'd stay away.

#32 ·
Land rovers have plenty of quality issues. A few JGCs had leak issues and combined with the dealers fumbling around exaggerated the problem. Once resolved the QL has been proven reliable. Very few have an issue. Now, how they hold up in six or seven years, who knows. The air suspension in my 20 year old RV still works just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.